Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2011, 23:29   #16

Boat: Cal Pilothouse
Re: Island Hopping Hawaii in June

It was nice to meet you both, John and Peter! We're off in the morning to explore the rest of the islands! Thanks for the words of wisdom
danisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 00:19   #17

Boat: Able 50
Re: Island-Hopping Hawaii in June

Quote:
Originally Posted by danisinger View Post
Hi everybody. I just wanted to say that we made the passage relatively easily, in 18 days. We are currently in Radio bay, about to take off to round South Point and hang out on the Kona side of the island. This place is so wonderful, it's a pity I hear many yachties complain about how unfriendly Hawaii is to cruisers. We've experienced nothing but aloha!

Thanks again for all the replies and input. We've decided that the whole "play it by ear" attitude is the way to go here. Thanks, and aloha a hui hou kakou.
Congratulations ! You have done well.

On my last visit to Hawaii the powers that be gave me a right hard time.

1. Boarded by the coasties, searched and given a ticket for not having a bell.
2. Ordered by the harbormaster at Lahaina to put a light on my dinghy or he would impound it.
3. Refused a slip by the harbormaster at Ala Wai because my registration had expired.
4. Ordered off the Aloha Dock at HYC because one of the Port Captain's buddies wanted my slip.
5. Ordered off the fuel dock wharf (they have a few slips) at Ala Wai by the harbormaster because my hull length exceeded their licence.

Sigh !
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 12:30   #18

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

It was nice to meet you both and you have just the right attitude about your cruise to make it work very well.

Alenuihaha means "Prepare yourself" or "Get Ready" from what I understood a Hawaiian speaker to say. It appears Sunday will be a good day to cross from the weather perspective. Might even be lighter than the 20s. The last time I sailed up the channel about a year and a half ago it was 15 and very unusual and very pleasant for beating to weather.

I might not have made myself clear on where things are on Kauai. Poipu is on the south side of the island just a bit west of Nawilliwilli. Most films like South Pacific, King Kong and the Indiana Jones were shot on the north side along the Na Pali Coast just west of Hanalei.

If you stop at Honolulu try for a slip at the fuel dock at the Ala Wai. It's on the right just after entering the Ala Wai Yacht Harbor. If that doesn't work out then try the next little harbor inside the bay at Kewalo Basin and they might have something for you.

Happy Cruising!!!!

kind regards,
Old 03-06-2011, 13:17   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Stopped by your boat a couple of times but you were off touring with the relatives. Looks like a fairly benign time to cross the channel. The wind shadow of the Big Island looks to be far out and fairly north. A really good time to go north to Kawaihae and then across. Good luck on the rest of your cruise. Keep us posted on the rest of the voyage and the sail back to the mainland.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2011, 10:39   #20

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

We are now in Hanalei Bay, rolling gently. Only one problem with this beautiful place-- there is no good place to leave the dinghy ashore. Otherwise, its one of the nicest anchorages we have ever been in. Kayaked up the river yesterday--gorgeous-- and there are good places to kayak in the surf.

The Aloha dock at the Hawaii YC is back in operation, but we stayed at the Waikiki YC--they have better docks, a pool, parking, and cheaper drinks in the bar.

We stayed on a YC mooring in Lahaina--it can get quite rolly, but you can leave your dink safely in the harbor. Tried to go to Lanai one day, but Menele is to shallow for us, and Kaumalapau harbor was so small that we didn't feel comfortable anchoring there with another boat.

We stayed a couple of nights at Honolua Bay on Maui--very nice anchorage, but crowded with snorkel boats during the day. Also a couple of days in Kaunakakai harbor on Molokai--protected with good holding, but very windy and not much to do ashore or in the water.

Molokini is worth a day stop--there are moorings balls under the water, and you have to swim down and pull up the pennants. The coral is overrated, but the crater usually has calm water (not always). The tour boats go there early in the morning, but usually depart by 1 pm, because they have to work their way back upwind to Maalea Harbor, where it is typically blowing over 30 knots in the afternoons

We also spent one night at Pokai Bay on the west side of Ohau--it looked like a nice place, but we left at 0430 to sail to Kauai, partly because they were predicting high surf advisories for a SW swell.

The current plan is to bash our way back to Oahu in July for the Transpac parties--will probably leave the boat in Kaneohe Bay because there will be no room in the Alawai. Then go back to Kauai to jump off for the mainland.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2011, 19:01   #21

Boat: Able 50

Well I guess someone's gotta do it.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2011, 11:35   #22

Boat: Cal Pilothouse

Everyone is safe back home in California!

Final time to cruise home was 33 days, 19 hours and 30 minutes...quite a disorganized uncooperative high pressure system this year!

Thanks to everybody for their help and input. This website rocks!
danisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2011, 11:41   #23

An interesting blow by blow account of the return is on their blog:

that also has a map and location....

@danisinger glad everyone is back, safe and sound....
h20man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2011, 11:41   #24

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Glad to hear the boat made it back OK. I can add Kaneohe Bay to the list of the nicer places. We are back in Hanalei and going to take off for the mainland in a few days. The high is finally moving a bit more south and east, and we are hoping to make it back in about half that time.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2011, 12:17   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

You guys didn't pick the best year to visit Hawaii. Have some friends on a 51" aluminum cruising machine called 'Holy Grail' who may have been in Hanalei when you were there. They had winds to 40kn, never below 30kn from Kona to Hanalei. Said it rained almost every day they were on Kauai. It wasn't just typical tropical passing rain showers but rain all day. They just hung out on the boat for several days at a time because it was so miserable.

Guess your 33 day passage means the weather didn't improve a whole lot for the trip back to California.

Glad to hear Dani's cruising attitude has improved with time away from the boat. She was pretty bummed out when you guys left Kona. FWIW, the sail south to Mexico and SoPac is a pretty mellow sail and something she shouldn't fear at all. Biggest negative is the long leg from Mexico to the Marquesas but it's all down hill. Only bad part is the passage you just made and that normally isn't as slow as yours was.

Good to hear you are all back to the real world with minimal excitement.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2011, 14:01   #26

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Glad all is ok and you are back home and safe.
kind regards,

Tags
hawaii