Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2022, 04:58   #16

Re: Checking in without departure paperwork

CBP doesn't, to my knowledge, doesn't require you to check out (US boats). Arriving in some countries you might need exit papers. The BVI's, the French Caribbean Islands don't require exit papers, Antigua, Bermuda and others do. We always get exit papers, it's easy to do. If you fill them out ahead of time when going to CBP you'll save time and the officers appreciate it.

https://www.cbp.gov/document/forms/f...list-crew-list

https://www.cbp.gov/document/forms/f...ance-statement
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 05:11   #17

Boat: Jeanneau 57

Even foreign-flagged boats leaving the USA are not required to clear out. But as I, and others on this thread, have stated: it is easy to get an exit "zarpe" from CBP and although the form has many fields to fill in they are for commercial vessels and don't need to be filled. The process takes just a few minutes to complete and potentially saves no end of trouble when clearing into the next country.
Old 06-07-2022, 05:49   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I have never had to ask any other country for one, clearance papers are part of the natural proceedure and one should not need to request them.
As far as I am concerned a departure stamp in my passport is adequate proof of my departure date and my last marina bill is confirmation for the boats departure date.
I have yet to be hassled by customs in countries from as far East as Turkey to as far West as Australia..
But hey, maybe I'm just a good horse rider..
You completely miss the point of clearance paperwork. The country you are checking into doesn’t care particularly about your departure date. They want proof that you left with all your debts paid and are not on the run from something. A lot of this is carry over from commercial shipping where there is more at stake.

There are places that do not care. Certainly much of Europe seems to take border crossing formalities very… casually.

But generally, if you are giving advice, the correct advice is NOT to ignore formalities, but to FOLLOW them. Some people might think that your very specific cases apply everywhere.
ItDepends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 06:03   #19
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Checking in without departure paperwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItDepends View Post
You completely miss the point of clearance paperwork. The country you are checking into doesn’t care particularly about your departure date. They want proof that you left with all your debts paid and are not on the run from something. A lot of this is carry over from commercial shipping where there is more at stake.

There are places that do not care. Certainly much of Europe seems to take border crossing formalities very… casually.

But generally, if you are giving advice, the correct advice is NOT to ignore formalities, but to FOLLOW them. Some people might think that your very specific cases apply everywhere.
I don't give advice about anything, from anchoring to storm tactics to this matter.. I say what I do or have done and its the individuals choice to ape or follow another way.
Clearance papers don't involve debt checks etc, your passport does however. If you've been Flagged for any reason it will show at ones point of exit or entry, even more so in todays computerised world of smart passports.
So save your lectures for someone who has never travelled.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 09:50   #20

Boat: 1977 Bristol 29.9 Hull #17

Quote:
Your information is incorrect on BOTH sides. The USA most certainly DOES issue exit clearances. It’s an urban myth that they do not.

What is true is that the USA does not require one for USA flagged pleasure boats. Some countries that are popular destinations do not care (like the Bahamas) so the story continues that you can not get one, and even if you could, you never need it.

Getting cleared out of the USA is easy. You get Form 1300 from CBP, fill it out, and get it stamped at any customs office. Presto, it’s a Zarpa!

I will not argue with you if “most” countries don’t care about proper exit clearance. I do KNOW that MANY do.

Try entering Sint Maartin without it… They MIGHT let you in, if they are having a good day. Or they might send you packing back to get one. There is no excuse for showing up without it, they are very clear on their webpage listing required entry documents that it is needed and that entry will be refused it in is not available.

You can skip it for the Bahamas, and the French Islands. Many of the others… will insist I am afraid. Antigua, and Sint Maartin for example, insist. Grenada asked to see it, but I have no idea how they would react if it was missing.

I know someone who just a couple weeks ago was turned away from Guatemala because they did not have proper exit clearance from their last country.

And by the way, the Bahamas recently changed their rules. They now REQUIRE all boats to check out. In the past they did not care.

The Bahamas is back to not caring again, effective July 1st iirc,

Fair winds,
Pegu Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 00:12   #21

In 2012, leaving New York for the Azores I had to nearly bludgeon Customs to issue a clearance; they do it for commercial vessels, of course, but only on strenuous request for a cruiser. At Horta, very informal; I presented the clearance but they didn't really care. Entering/leaving Ireland, same result. Entering Iceland they looked at all I had, no problem on entry. On leaving Iceland I called Customs, who were fine, but insisted that I should also check out with the coast guard. Coast guard only cared about my projected route, destination and intended arrival. I said, Canada, but as to when, tell me what the weather will be; they agreed in good spirit that that was a useless exercise and wished me a safe voyage. My experience is limited, but at least in the North Atlantic a friendly, open approach has carried the day. PeterJ, Tayana 37, Sans Souci.
PeterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 01:02   #22

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipper_Dan View Post
Going from Guam to the Philippines or Indonesia

Both these countries require prior visa applications that include details of the yacht if entry is by sea. A cait is no longer required for indo but there is still paperwork specific to the yacht.

I have visited both countries on more than one occasion, albeit some years ago and previous port clearance was requested. Whether it was a requirement is unknown.
Tupaia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 07:22   #23

U.S. Customs and Border Patrol [CBP] Form 1300, Vessel Entrance or Clearance Statement, is used to collect essential commercial vessel data at time of formal entrance and clearance in U.S. ports. The form allows the master to attest to the truthfulness of all CBP forms associated with the manifest package, and collects information about the vessel, cargo, purpose of entrance, certificate numbers, and expiration for various certificates. It also serves as a record of fees and tonnage tax payments in order to prevent overpayments and provides for statement of reason of entrance or clearance. CBP Form 1300 was developed through agreement by the United Nations Intergovernmental Maritime Consultative Organization (IMCO) in conjunction with the United States and various other countries. This form is authorized by 19 U.S.C. 1431, 1433, and 1434, and provided for by 19 CFR part 4, and accessible at http://www.cbp.gov/​newsroom/​public...le=​1300.

https://www.cbp.gov/document/forms/f...ance-statement

https://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/fi...orm%201300.pdf

The document provides for documentary recordation of having been receiving entry & granting clearance from the USA.

Such clearance documentation is especially important when one desires to reenter as without such one may find that the vessel is subject to reimportation duties and fees. This issue is country specific, Australia / New Zealand come to mind and can result is incredibly costly charges that otherwise could have been avoided. "No ticky, no laundry." The lack of proper documentation and incomplete / improper clearances can catch up with you and make your life very difficult.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 07:26   #24

Boat: Alerion Express 28

Maybe times have changed but when I left for Mexico and other parts in 1989 from SF I didn't make any "zarpa" arrangements with the US. Never had a problem.
DEAN2140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 12:58   #25

Boat: Outbound 46

Standing in line to check in at Customs in Antigua, the fellow ahead of me got a blank look on his face when the agent asked him for the clearance from his prior port (Ft. Lauderdale). He protested that the US doesn't issue outward clearances, and the agent politely told him that, yes they do, you just have to ask for it. The skipper asked what he was supposed to do, and the agent told "Well, you have to go back to Ft. Lauderdale and get the proper clearance."

I could see the wheels turning as this "professional" skipper imagined going back to the boat and telling the owner they had to go all the way back to Florida.

Actually, there was a very simple solution to his problem. St. Barts is only a short motor away, and they couldn't care less about outward clearance documents -- but are happy to issue one when you leave.

I decided to stay out of it.
DMCantor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 13:09   #26

Boat: Alerion Express 28

Antigua has to be the worst place in the Carib for customs and immigration. I think the officials get off on sticking it to the "wealthy" yachties; it's a perk that comes with the job. The French are the opposite. In Guadeloupe you clear immigration on a computer in the back of a souvenir store and if you have a problem, the guy behind the T shirt counter will cheerfully help out. It was $5 bucks a few years ago.
DEAN2140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 13:58   #27

Boat: Morgan 382

Most of you are discussing the Caribbean, which is overall MUCH more forgiving than the rest of the world. The original poster answered he is going to Indonesia and the Philippines. You absolutely need exit paperwork from your last port (or where ever you are leaving from) for those.
In Indonesia, you will also need a Visa issued by the Indonesian embassy, which might require a sponsor. (I didn't need one, but others will tell you otherwise) You will need to fill out forms online before you leave that roughly equate to what Mexico calls a TIP. Some ports will require you to use an agent to enter, but that seems to be getting easier. I did not use an agent, but others will tell you it is not possible without. I think that depends on the port of entry.
If you show up in Indonesia without doing this, you will need to pay an agent to straighten it out, and that will only be for you to check in and then immediately leave as you won't be allowed to stay.
With that said, it's unlikely anyone would sail to Indonesia nonstop from the USA. I was able to complete all of the above at the Embassy in Port Moresby, PNG without any issue or complications.
ALWAYS CHECK BEFORE LEAVING what the requirements are, never assume you don't need to do anything, and never try to skirt or skip them. That's a really good way for a foreign government to suspect you of smuggling or doing something else illegal.
Zarpe is Spanish. If you sail outside of Mexico and other Spanish speaking countries, they won't know what you are talking about. In English, your clearance paperwork.
Old 07-07-2022, 17:58   #28

Indonesia:

https://www.noonsite.com/place/indonesia/formalities/

General Process:

On arrival at your nominated port of entry, fly the “Q” flag and either anchor in the designated area or pick up a Quarantine Buoy.

In addition the “Q” flag, you may be required to fly the “N” flag also (the reason for this is not known). It is also required that the Indonesian courtesy flag must be larger than the boat’s state flag.

Note: New anti-malarial rules were introduced in June 2022 for vessels arriving from certain high-risk countries. This involves anchoring in the quarantine area and the boat being sprayed prior to landing. See the Health section for full details.

Entry must be made at one of the ports of entry listed in the Cruising Declaration Form.

On arrival at the Port of Entry the Captain should go ashore with the following paperwork:
– The online Vessel Declaration
– Zarpe from your last port
– Crew/passenger list with Immigration stamp from last port
– Boat registration papers
– MMSI
Insurance documents

Port Health: The Captain should report to quarantine and complete a medical declaration.
Immigration: The Captain and crew should then report to the nearest immigration office (open 08.00-16.00 local time) with valid passports, 3 copies of the crew list and the vessel declaration (as printed out from the YACHTERS On-line system) ready to be stamped.
Customs: The Captain must then report to Customs and provide 2 copies of the stamped vessel declaration, and copies of all passports.
Customs will inspect the vessel and then provide a stamped copy of the vessel declaration and a customs clearance certificate.
Harbor Master: The Captain should then visit the Harbor Master and hand over the stamped vessel declaration from customs, the customs clearance certificate and the signed crew list from immigration.
Notes:

No agent is officially required for clearance, but in some ports of entry it may speed up the process. Some visas do require a sponsor/guarantor and agents can act as this.
A small charge may be made for clearance outside of working hours. Arrival on a Friday afternoon should be avoided as many officials are Muslim and normally finish work at 11:30 on Fridays.
Under Indonesian law there are no fees for clearing in or out of the country (except for visa fees), however, at some ports, it may be difficult to avoid having to give “a gift”. Be prepared to bargain over how much it needs to be.
A Boat Stamp is very much a requirement here for all the paperwork generated.
See Customs for details of the permitted length of stay for visiting yachts.
An AIS device able to transmit (not “receive-only”) and properly configured is required. The Indonesian government yacht committee has agreed that “for the purpose of their safety and security, AIS is mandatory for all foreign yachts cruising in Indonesian waters”. You will need the MMSI number associated with the unit to complete the registration forms. Officials are enforcing this law and physically checking the AIS, making photographs for evidence, and checking MarineTraffic.com. Citations and/or letters of warning are being issued for noncompliance.
Use your phone to instantly photograph any and all official papers you are given by the multitude of official departments, just in case during the paper shuffling a page gets “lost or mislaid” (which does happen).
Should the officials at your first port of entry not be fully aware of the new system in place for international yachts, it is recommended you print out a copy of the official notification memorandum (in Indonesian) to present should it be necessary.
Domestic Cruising:

Yachts only need to complete full clearance procedures at the first Indonesian Port of Entry and at the Exit Port before leaving Indonesian waters.

Once cleared into Indonesia, yachts are free to go anywhere and there is no need to report to various ports/harbor masters along the way. However, as noted above, Indonesia has thousands of islands and it may be appropriate to make a courtesy call to the Harbour Master or local authorities.

If staying a long time in Indonesia, the Captain must report to Customs by e-mail at the first port of entry every 6 months. See Customs for more details.

CLEARING OUT

International Clearance

The yacht captain should report to Immigration at the chosen port of exit and have all passports signed.
Customs should then be visited and advised and a customs clearance obtained.
The Harbour Master will then provide a harbor clearance from Indonesia.
Old 09-07-2022, 19:17   #29

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Quote:
That's not how to check out of the USA...

You have been lucky. Other countries will not let you in without a formal Zarpa. I am not saying it is a useful exercise, but giving advice like this is just wrong.

Best to ask US Immigration in Guam if they have a Zarpe form or will stamp a departure date on your passport. At least have a dated receipt from Guam
and a nav log to show plus your checkin papers from Guam.
waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 20:08   #30

US CFR:

§ 4.6 Departure or unlading before report or entry.

(a) No vessel which has arrived within the limits of any Customs port from a foreign port or place shall depart or attempt to depart, except from stress of weather or other necessity, without reporting and making entry as required in this part. These requirements shall not apply to vessels merely passing through waters within the limits of a Customs port in the ordinary course of a voyage.

(b) The “limits of any Customs port” as used herein are those described in § 101.3(b) of this chapter, including the marginal waters to the 3-mile limit on the seaboard and the waters to the boundary line on the northern and southern boundaries.

(c) Violation of this provision may result in the master being liable for certain civil penalties and the vessel to arrest and forfeiture, as provided under 19 U.S.C. 1436, in addition to other penalties applicable under other provisions of law.

[T.D. 93-96, 58 FR 67316, Dec. 21, 1993, as amended by T.D. 98-74, 63 FR 51287, Sept. 25, 1998]

US Customs and Border Patrol Information Center
https://helpspanish.cbp.gov/s/articl...language=en_US

Title:

Pleasure Boats -Do I need to contact CBP when I depart the United States?

Summary

Date Published

1/10/2022 4:29 PM

Content

Whenever you depart the United States (U.S.) by pleasure boat/small vessel to a foreign country, you must obtain clearance with U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) before departing. If you were issued a cruising license to cruise the U.S. territorial waters, you must clear your departure with CBP before proceeding to a foreign location.

No vessel which has arrived within the limits of any Customs port from a foreign port or place shall depart or attempt to depart, except from stress of weather or other necessity, without reporting and making entry as required. These requirements shall not apply to vessels merely passing through waters within the limits of a Customs port in the ordinary course of a voyage. See, 19 CFR (Code of Federal Regulations) § 4.60.

For additional information on pleasure boats, visit the cbp.gov website.

Article Number

Tags
work