Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-01-2023, 14:49   #1

Boat: Beneteau/343
Clearing customs on the west coast of Vancouver island

Is this possible for a private, non commercial vessel? I’d be traveling north fromAstoria OR and would like to understand the feasibility of circumnavigating the island starting on the west side.

I’m aware of customs offices around Victoria but haven’t figured out how to clear customs on the west side of the island.
davefromoregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2023, 14:57   #2

Boat: Sceptre 41
Re: Clearing customs on the west coast of Vancouver island

Based on their website:
https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/do-rb/se...-sdtm-eng.html

There are no places on the West coast of Vancouver Island to clear Canadian Customs/Immigration.

Victoria would be closest.

I can guess going to Barkley Sound first seems to makes sense if coming up from Oregon/Washington coast, but if you are circumnavigating Vancouver Island, going around counter-clockwise is better, especially for a sailboat. So Victoria (or Sidney) works. It's about 20 nm further to Victoria compared to Ucluelet (assuming you do not stop at Neah Bay).

[The Waggoner website indicates June 1 - Sept 30 one can clear in at Ucluelet. HOWEVER, there is no mention of this on CBSA websites, and Waggoner may be out-of-date, pre-Covid, information.]
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2023, 15:20   #3

Boat: Hullmaster 27

I see Pelagia beat me to the offical list with zero ports on it.

However dig a little and you will find:
Quote:
The CBSA normally provides service free of charge during the hours listed in this Directory for each office. If service is required outside of these hours or in locations where the CBSA does not have an office, the CBSA will consider entering into cost recovery agreements in order to provide service. Cost recovery provides the CBSA with the flexibility to deliver services that fall outside of its operating budget.
So ... if your money talks loud enough, exceptions can be made ... there are a couple of commercial ports, so you may be able to strike a deal ... if you really want to go round clockwise, you won't lose anything by calling and asking.
Kelkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2023, 11:54   #4

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Agree with Pelagia, counter clock wise is the way to go. Wind direction on the inside is less important than tides/currents. The tides come in and out from both top and bottom of the island meeting somewhere between Comox and Campbell River. (makes for a great down stream ride for two tides if you time it right) so North or South don't matter too much.

Outside is a different story: High pressure brings north winds, so you'd need to wait for a low to set sail. Lows will transport you North but usually mean rain and poor visibility.

I ran up to Prince Rupert to check in, riding a low (a rare spinnaker run from 100 miles NW of Van Isle), the customs guys told me I should have checked in in Victoria. I identify as a Canadian though it's not like they could deport me.

goat
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2023, 12:20   #5

Yes, even circumnavigating counter clockwise from Barkley Sound would be nice coming from Oregon I suppose. But you will likely want to stop there at the end of your circumnavigation anyway. I agree with not going North on the West side, it can be flat in the morning but big water by afternoon. I suppose it could be approached like coming back to the US from Mexico though. Dash out very early each day and sail/motor like heck to the next anchorage.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
customs, vancouver, west coast