Originally Posted by Skipper_Dan View Post
Going from Guam to the Philippines or Indonesia
The philippines don't care
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 09:17   #47

Boat: Allegro 33
Re: Checking in without departure paperwork

Hi all!

We are planing to leave Canada for Bermuda late October.
I just talked with Canada customs and they explained to me that they don't care when we leave Canada.
Strangely enough we don't even have to report that we are leaving, no papers can be obtained for clearing out even if they wanted to.

It boils down to, if you leave Canada you are unable to get a Zarpe.
So the question then arises, Will there be trouble when trying to clear into Bermuda ? Anyone know ?

/Hans
hasse_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 09:23   #48

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post

Not my experience. A boat went on the rocks, it had not checked in, the owners were arrested and the boat impounded. Palawan.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 17:32   #49

Many countries in the Caribbean require FULL entry formalities when you arrive. This includes a “Zarpa” or clearance document from your last port of call. We have seen reports of boats being turned away from ports without proper clearance documents. We do know of boats that had to jump through extra paperwork hoops, and had clearance delayed.

This is important because in many places you pay a set of port fees and taxes when you clear out. It is perfectly understandable why a boat that would skip out on these fees and taxes would be considered an “undesirable” at the next country they show up in.

Since we have been in Grenada we have had the opportunity to deal with the local customs office a lot. We have our own favorite customs agent we have become friendly with. Just for our own research, we asked him, “What do you do about boats that show up without a Zarpa?” His reply was interesting…

Quote:
“It almost always happens with boats that come directly here from the US Virgin Islands.”
This is understandable. Outward clearance has never been an enforced requirement by the US on US flagged yachts. Many people think (incorrectly) that the USA does not issue zarpas. They think this because it has been repeated on the internet thousands of times (including on this forum)—but it is still wrong. While you absolutely CAN get a zarpa from USCBP, a bit of a special effort is needed to get one. How to get a zarpa from the USA-CBP

Quote:
“We can deny them entry, or charge them a fine not to exceed $2500.”
How to proceed and how big a fine to levy is at the discretion of the customs officer handling the situation. There is no appeal process, but you do have a choice: Pay the fine or, Go back and get the right documents.

Quote:
“For a first offense, we will usually charge $500…”
I’m thinking the extra hassle to get the zarpa just might have been worth it…

Quote:
“…unless they are really angry or obnoxious about it, then we go right to $2500.”
I have never understood the people who think they can bully their way out of a situation like this. They were ignorant of, forgot, or deliberately ignored the clearing out procedure, and when called out on it try to insist they are in the right. I can assume you, no matter how much you fume and shout, the local customs agent knows the rules and holds all the power. If he has a Monday morning hangover, and you are just making it worse, he can just deny you entry, and be done with you.

Also note, they most certainly DO keep track of your boat. If you have been fined because of a rule violation or denied entry, you can be 100% SURE of a bit of extra scrutiny and hassle the next time you arrive in country. I do not know if the various countries databases are linked, but some certainly might be. For those countries that have a formal requirement that you clear out, you might find a large fine waiting for you when you try to clear in on your next visit.

And another note… if you buy a boat from someone who has a history of flouting regulations, you can expect his bad karma to follow you from port to port every time your boat's official number is typed into the computer.
ItDepends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2023, 16:09   #50
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jay Kantola - Trimaran 65 ft by 40 ft beam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
Icarus, I disagree. The Philippines requested to see my exit paperwork from Malaysia. Well, I must admit I was standing there holding it in my hand.

So I can't say I tried to get into the Philippines without exit paperwork from previous port. Have you? Which port authority let you in? Cebu or Puerto?

Now I did try and make an unplanned checkin into Indonesia with exit paperwork from Malaysia (Miri, Sarawak) showing that I was going to peninsula Malaysia. That was a real hassle. Basically, they refused to allow my vessel to enter Indonesia because I was supposed to be going to Malaysia. They did allow me to stay a few days to sort things out and I never checked in...but had to leave within those few days. So NO. Do not attempt going from Guam to Indonesia and expect they will receive a vessel with no exit paperwork.

Dan, It appears by what someone wrote easy to get exit paperwork from the USA...Have you tried?
pbmaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2023, 16:19   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post
Icarus, I disagree. The Philippines requested to see my exit paperwork from Malaysia. Well, I must admit I was standing there holding it in my hand.

So I can't say I tried to get into the Philippines without exit paperwork from previous port. Have you? Which port authority let you in? Cebu or Puerto?

Now I did try and make an unplanned checkin into Indonesia with exit paperwork from Malaysia (Miri, Sarawak) showing that I was going to peninsula Malaysia. That was a real hassle. Basically, they refused to allow my vessel to enter Indonesia because I was supposed to be going to Malaysia. They did allow me to stay a few days to sort things out and I never checked in...but had to leave within those few days. So NO. Do not attempt going from Guam to Indonesia and expect they will receive a vessel with no exit paperwork.

Dan, It appears by what someone wrote easy to get exit paperwork from the USA...Have you tried?
Recommend using US Customs and Border Patrol [CBP] Form 1300, Vessel Entrance or Clearance Statement to have documented a departure from the USA and its territories.

Reference links:

https://www.cbp.gov/document/forms/f...ance-statement

https://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/fi...orm%201300.pdf
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2023, 16:37   #52

Boat: Morgan 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
Recommend using US Customs and Border Patrol [CBP] Form 1300, Vessel Entrance or Clearance Statement to have documented a departure from the USA and its territories.

Reference links:

https://www.cbp.gov/document/forms/f...ance-statement

https://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/fi...orm%201300.pdf
I have gotten exit paperwork from CBP a few times. Just walked into the customs office at a port and asked for it. They handed me the form, I filled it out, and they stamped/signed it. It was not difficult and was not questioned at all.
Old 24-01-2023, 16:51   #53

Boat: Allegro 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
Just walked into the customs office at a port and asked for it.
When we left the US it was even easier than that. We downloaded the form-1300, filled it out, signed it digitally, attached it together with scanned copies of passports and ships paper and emailed it to the CBP-office.
After a few hours we got the signed document returned.
We where at a location where it was difficult to turn up in person at a CBP office.
I don't know if this procedure is possible anywhere.
hasse_A is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
work