Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Pacific & South China Sea
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-11-2010, 19:09   #1

Boat: No boat, looking again.
Advice Needed: Sailing from Townsville, Australia to Bowen, Australia

Your advice needed: I am researching sailing from Townsville, Australia, to Rockhampton and would appreciate input on anchorages in the first section of the voyage, primarily between Townsville and Cape Upstart.

I was told by some knowledgable locals to bypass Cape Bowling Green as dangerous with moving shoals. Others have said they have anchored there, following the cruising guide by Lucas. Can be a bit rolly though.

Since I am sailing solo with good nav skills and general boat skills but more used to sailing a dinghy than a 27 footer and with prevailing winds from SE, then I am not expecting to go very far in one day. This means I will do best with several places to stop rather than trying to do 90 nautical miles to Cape Upstart in one looong day.

Looking at maps and Google Earth, I was wondering about places like Barrata Creek and other creeks, such as the Haughton, between Townsville and Cape Bowling Green. On the other side of Cape Bowling Green is the Burdekin River and Plantation Creek. Do you know if any of these places provide reasonable anchorage given my boat, Endeavour 27 (Aussie brand), has 4' 6" draft?

From Cape Upstart to Bowen seems reasonable, then south is the Whitsundays which should present no problem as far as choice of anchorage goes. I think the problem there will be running out of time as I will want to visit every anchorage . . . and stay a week at each .

troppo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia