Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2021, 10:29   #16

Re: Worth salvaging this on a limited budget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunkenanchor View Post
Just FYI I heard plenty of naysayers on this last project and most of my life....

You're gonna get pushback from most everyone on any project like this, mostly because people (in general) are afraid of too much manual labor. I'd say if the mechanical parts are in good order, and the decks/hull aren't delaminated and rotted, I'd run with it. Looks like a fairly salvageable boat.
TooCoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 10:51   #17

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

On a limited budget, sight unseen in Mexico. Run don't walk even if he offers you a good hunk of money.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 11:35   #18

Boat: Nordic 44

Have to agree with the run, don't walk away crowd.

A 40 footer is nothing like a Catalina 27. Materials costs will far exceed your expectations and your learning curve will be steep.

The boat is a mess as if it was rushed into the boatyard. A boat in such a mess says to me it has not been well maintained. The gelcoat is chalked - it will need to be painted to make it attractive. Taking the mast down, new standing rigging and mast step plus putting the mast back up will be in the 5 to 10 thousand dollar range.

Volvo engine parts are super expensive and often hard to find. An engine rebuild or replacement will probably cost more than the purchase price (unless you pay too much for the boat). Any 40 year old engine is suspect.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 11:57   #19

Boat: Jeanneau SO DS 49

I just helped a friend buy an 06 Beny 373. He posted the same question an was bombarded by the same negative answers. He bought it anyway, for half of similar listing prices. Sure it cost $3k for new rigging, parts and more $ will follow, but he will make money on it after sailing it for 10 years around the world. My best advice to him was to read Fatty Goodlanders books, Chasing the Horizon, and Buy, outfit and sail. An inspirational author, with sound advice on outfitting, and sailing round the world with little money. Consider the boat as a math problem. List the projects, costs and resale value. Unless some massive problem is uncovered, you will score a world cruiser for a fraction of it's worth when completed. Mexico is also a far cheaper place to outfit than the US where yard costs are 3x 3rd worlds prices, and parts can be shipped in from anywhere. Get a translate app and learn some spanish! Put the project on Youtube, I want to follow it!
SteveSadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 12:27   #20

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooCoys View Post
You're gonna get pushback from most everyone on any project like this, mostly because people (in general) are afraid of too much manual labor. I...........
No, the "pushback" is from thoughtful people trying to give honest advice based on common sense and experience.
Old 11-08-2021, 12:31   #21

I got a 48' boat that my parents had lived on for 17 yrs. After trucking it from NJ to SC an putting on the hill, I made the decision scrap her. She was not worth the time, money and effort to make right. That's not a I have a friend story. I was lucky the boat yard owner disposed of her for nada after I striped her. She was in better shape looking at those pics..
Old 11-08-2021, 12:43   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSadler View Post
I just helped a friend buy an 06 Beny 373. He posted the same question an was bombarded by the same negative answers. He bought it anyway, for half of similar listing prices. Sure it cost $3k for new rigging, parts and more $ will follow, but he will make money on it after sailing it for 10 years around the world. My best advice to him was to read Fatty Goodlanders books, Chasing the Horizon, and Buy, outfit and sail. An inspirational author, with sound advice on outfitting, and sailing round the world with little money. Consider the boat as a math problem. List the projects, costs and resale value. Unless some massive problem is uncovered, you will score a world cruiser for a fraction of it's worth when completed. Mexico is also a far cheaper place to outfit than the US where yard costs are 3x 3rd worlds prices, and parts can be shipped in from anywhere. Get a translate app and learn some spanish! Put the project on Youtube, I want to follow it!
Some interesting points. Now I am not going to agree with all those "naysayers", who obviously have little or no experience or knowledge of what this vessel needs....obviously just a lick o paint here and dab of grease there, but my experience of the costs down that neck of the woods was a little different.

I was in Ceiba (honduras) pricing yard costs for a bottom job and found them to be more, and not by just a little, than prices in the US. So I spent my greenbacks back home a few months later.

As for mexico, well, remember to factor in bribe costs.

I to be honest did exactly what the OP is proposing, actually about 10 times more. Down to a bare hull, no deck , no bulkheads, so not afraid of work. And the knowledge gained was a good base on which to expand into the marine field.

BUT....not in mexico. No bribes, no theft, no being seen as a gringo fool to be stolen from because obviously I cant count my own fingers.....thank (pick a god) I did not have to deal with any of that!

Ok, back to the positve vibe going on......yeah buddy, go get her!!!! What do I know.

PS: it is true the OP did not actually use a question mark, so perhaps he was not actuallly asking whether it is "worth it" , maybe just musing and only after feel good vibes?
Allied39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 12:47   #23
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailshabby View Post
Understand. Everything else aside, price out the rigging (which it’ll need - our 40’ ran thousands) and an engine. Chain plates look like they should be relatively cheap, but they’re not. Smaller innocuous tasks have a tendency to morph into money eaters. If you’re planning to “commute” to the boat, add that cost. Yard space rental. Will the yard require insurance, and can you get it (an emerging problem for older boats).?

Etc., etc., etc.
Aluminum Bronze chain/ deck plates are available from McMaster-Carr for about $350 for all the main upper/ lower shrouds. 316L is far cheaper but I’m not a fan of crevice corrosion…

$5.90 dry storage

$16.50 Work area electricity and water supplied

Owner live aboard and no additional expense.

Hull to the water $260

No commute, no desire to come back to the US

Engine and vessel was said to be hulled out every year for maintenance (working on receipts) until his father couldn’t sail and it has remained on the hard since. Sails were tossed in cabin, I was told because the covers were bad and new ones were to be made. Materials cheap and I can sew..

I always forget forums are like this which is why I avoid them like the plague (not directed at you) and that I must be specific and should have just posted the mast step mount corrosion pic only anything else just seems to attract fly’s
Sunkenanchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 13:02   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
No, the "pushback" is from thoughtful people trying to give honest advice OPINION based on common sense FEAR and INexperience.

Fixed it.
Old 11-08-2021, 13:41   #25
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSadler View Post
Thanks for the sound advice, think that book was quoted the other day by a friend.

Your recommend cost list is what I just did and sent to the owner so as to not offend by a much lower offer and the value he had in his head of his father’s sailboat. Even he admitted the condition was not what was expected since he saw it last.

It has been on the hard just wasting since his father could no longer sail otherwise it was moored out front of his house. He strikes me as a genuine individual and offered up issues before even asked, not something a scammer does.
Sunkenanchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 13:45   #26

Location: Eastern Caribbean for the 2020 season then east coast or Panama
Boat: Lagoon 470 cat

Where the boat is in Mexico can make a huge difference on getting parts, finding english speakers, labor prices, etc.

From the pics certainly looks like more than I would take on, but it would be an adventure. Might also want to check and see what that model is going for in the market. Some are low value even if perfect, others have followers who will pay for a specific model.

Good luck whichever way you go.
Moontide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 13:50   #27

If you really like working on the boats instead of using them - sure go ahead.

I would recommend buying something in slightly better condition, doing cosmetic work and then selling for a profit (if you are trying to pay for an upgrade/bigger boat).

I've done my share of projects, but at some point you realize that doing the work and not enjoying the car/boat/whatever has it's own price that is not monetary.
George_SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 14:06   #28

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooCoys View Post
Fixed it.
Feel better now?
Old 11-08-2021, 14:13   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Feel better now?
Sure do. I've already been banned from that other circus clown show, and since boaters have a tendency to dog pile, and I think it's important for the OP to know exactly what he's reading.
Old 11-08-2021, 14:14   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunkenanchor View Post
1980’s 40’ Hughes ketch not sure of the price I can get it for yet.
I’m not afraid of the work and poses many skills electronics to metal fabrication, I just don’t have lots of money for materials and parts.
So far it need at least one chain plate, probably standing rigging and running, Bottom paint, mast step? (not sure what its called, see pic’s) This is the scariest issue to me so far.
Its in Mexico so I have not seen it personally, the owner is sending me photos, it was his father’s sailboat

pics

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...cC?usp=sharing
I went back and looked at the pics. I would hazard a guess some are not of the current condition but were taken when she had seen better days.
Not trying to be a naysayer but it does sound like you have have done enough homework. Or maybe are just a dreamer?

Tags
budget