Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2024, 06:21   #1

Working as a nurse while cruising

So we want to go cruising my partner is a British Pediatric nurse and she wants to be able to help by working or training or doing humanitarian work nursing. She has trained nurses and doctors in paediatric care abroad has done lots of humanitarian work, she is currently working away for a charity training Nurses. Anyway she wants to come sailing with me but she wants to do some humanitarian nursing if possible.

Is anyone here a Nurse or Doctor that has any experience or ideas where we could cruise and she could get to use her nursing skills in a humanitarian setting ? We don’t mind spending a longer time in one place at a time

Unusual question I know thanks in advance
asistephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2024, 06:50   #2

Boat: Cape Dory 31
Re: Working as a nurse while cruising

To be paid you will require work visa’s for each country in which you anticipate employment. These routinely are obtained prior to arrival so you will be a frequent visitor to the applicable embassies before setting off on your adventure. To volunteer the same arrangements will have to be made. Customs agents in every country are very wary of unauthorized foreigners entering their country and performing any form of work without prior application and approval. You have your work cut out for you.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2024, 06:57   #3

There is a vet cruising and doing free work. Perhaps you could contact her and see if she has any useful info: https://www.vettails.com/
leecea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2024, 06:58   #4
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

registered nurses need to be licensed in the US. but your partner could possibly be a traveling nurse.
Old 14-01-2024, 07:19   #5
dlj

Boat: Belliure 41

I'm currently traveling with a physician on board but she is not practicing in any way (other than making sure we are all OK).

In the past looking at how one may do this (my first wife was a physician), we looked into doctors without borders and similar organizations. They get your credentials and set things up with all the paperwork.

But if you are cruising, this can be a difficult option as they want you to go where they need you, not necessarily where you want to go.

You can also check on SSCA, they have a sub-forum with volunteer opportunities more aimed at sailors.

dj
dlj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2024, 09:18   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Jim View Post
To be paid you will require work visa’s for each country in which you anticipate employment. These routinely are obtained prior to arrival so you will be a frequent visitor to the applicable embassies before setting off on your adventure. To volunteer the same arrangements will have to be made. Customs agents in every country are very wary of unauthorized foreigners entering their country and performing any form of work without prior application and approval. You have your work cut out for you.

Thanks she knows the big organisations and has helped one of them before and like you say all visa’s sorted out for her. What it is the places they have don’t seem to be near any nice coastal areas
Old 14-01-2024, 09:21   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesail View Post
registered nurses need to be licensed in the US. but your partner could possibly be a traveling nurse.
I can’t see us going to the US to be honest maybe Canada Australia and Newzeland , but definitely the Caribbean and tropical areas she has qualified in tropical medicine recently as well
Old 14-01-2024, 13:35   #8

Boat: Volkscruiser

Asistephen Yemen, Gaza strip and the Crimea could probably do with a Humanitarian nurse. Not sure how you could safely stay there in a boat unless you own a small warship. It's a pity really as a quick look at places like Yemen and they're really worth a visit.
What about tagging along with a Mercy Ship, still working onboard but living on your boat anchored nearby.
Cheers
https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Attra...ies-Yemen.html
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2024, 14:04   #9

Boat: Sabre 402

Had a French online acquaintance whose wife was a nurse. They went all over the So. Pacific, staying months in different places, with her working as a nurse. This helped fund their cruising kitty. The French connection (Tahiti, Nouméa, etc.) was obviously helpful. If you are English, focusing on Commonwealth destinations would likely give good results too. Nurses are needed even in places that are relatively well-off. If she knows her stuff and doesn't need to be paid, people will be eager to put her to good use.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2024, 16:18   #10

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

I am a nurse, I have a base hospital where i work (casually). I work all over Oz, and sometimes use my boat to get there, but often to accept the best contracts, there is not enough time to sail there.
There is plenty of work in Oz, and since covid, better paid, but one needs to be registered, and from Canada, US and UK, quite easy. Contact this organisation:
https://www.ahpra.gov.au/Registration.aspx

Only the bigger hospitals in capital cities have dedicated peadiatrics wards. In smaller hospitals a paediatric nurse is also expected to look after adults when there are only a few or no children.

After Oz registration it is best to join an agency like these:
https://healthcareaustralia.com.au/?...xoC6VAQAvD_BwE
https://affinitynursing.com.au/
https://sugarmanhealth.com/about/sug...man-australia/
These agencies might also help you in getting registered in Oz.

Once you get the Oz registration, then it a matter of few papers and a couple weeks, to allow a nurse to work in New Zealand, but nurses' wages in NZ are about 30% lower compared with Oz.

Working in the pacific...... they will take you in most. I tried in new Caledonia and Vanuatu. No lengthy process is needed (having Oz registration).

There are a host of humanitarian organisations, like red cross, oxfam. They are active in many countries. I tried to get placement/contract in the pacific, but really it was not my worthwhile, and I believed the ones I contacted were just large corporations that allowed professionals to work for little or no money. I became very disillusioned with this path.
Old 14-01-2024, 16:33   #11

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
Asistephen Yemen, Gaza strip and the Crimea could probably do with a Humanitarian nurse. Not sure how you could safely stay there in a boat unless you own a small warship. It's a pity really as a quick look at places like Yemen and they're really worth a visit.
What about tagging along with a Mercy Ship, still working onboard but living on your boat anchored nearby.
Cheers
https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Attra...ies-Yemen.html
Hmmm, Mercy ship?
You will find that a volunteer needs to pay for all travel to and from, pay for accommodation, and in some cases for food/board as well. On top of that, no wages are earned. It is volunteering. I was happy to donate my time, but to pay for everything on top of that; that scenario I did not agree with.
MSF (medicine without borders) on the other hand, pays for doctors and nurses. A doctor acquaintance of mine spent the last 4 years 5-6 months each year in Gaza.
The last time i looked, the mercy ship was anchored of the coast of Nigeria (west africa)...... not a good place to sail to.
Old 14-01-2024, 17:37   #12

https://www.nursingbeyondborders.org/
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2024, 04:25   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

“How To Volunteer Abroad As A Nurse” ~ by International Volunteer HQ
https://www.volunteerhq.org/ca/blog/...ad-as-a-nurse/

“Organizations for Nurses to Volunteer With” ~ by Registered Nursing.org
https://www.registerednursing.org/ar...ses-volunteer/

“Nursing Volunteer Abroad Projects for Students & Professional Nurses” ~ by Volunteer Forever
https://www.volunteerforever.com/art...sional-nurses/

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2024, 06:57   #14

Boat: 1988 Sunward 48' Ketch

As mentioned, working for pay requires a work visa which is almost always required prior to arrival in the host nation.

Volunteering is a different kettle of fish. It’s generally frowned upon in the humanitarian space to fly or sail into a foreign country and, on one’s own, make your way to an underserved community, and start providing medical or nursing care to patients. It is also illegal, despite the best of intentions. The proper way is to register as a volunteer with a government agency or non-governmental organization authorized to provide healthcare in the country.

With that as background, I have volunteered several times in Bocas del Toro, Panamá, with an NGO called Floating Doctors (www.floatingdoctor.com). FD has been operating in the Bocas Archipelago for over a decade. They have all the requisite permits to provide healthcare, and make appropriate referrals to Panamá’s national health system.
dlane1181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2024, 05:49   #15

Thanks to everyone for your support and suggestions

Tags
cruising, work