Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2024, 11:29   #1

Boat: no boat at present
What to do with an Astra III B sextant

I have an Astra III B sextant that I want to find a buyer/good home for. I live in the Vancouver BC area. It seems to be in exceptionally good condition even though it is technically rather old. I say "seems" because I don't have the expertise to check it.
I bought it over around 15 years ago when I was planning to sail to Japan from Vancouver. I only used it on land for a few practice shots then stored it away in my house. Now, it's time to clean house and I certainly don't need it any more since I sold the boat 8 years ago.
What seems like a reasonable price for something like this?
Comes in a solid plastic case with various attachments.
If anyone in the Vancouver area is interested, I would be quite happy to show it them.
R.
Rockfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2024, 14:11   #2

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: What to do with an Astra III B sextant

^^^
Why not post an ad here on CF? That's how most folks accomplish your goal of selling!

Jim
Old 01-02-2024, 16:58   #3

Hi Jim,
I was thinking of doing that, too. I presume it would go under the "General Classifieds (no boats)". However, I was also looking for some way I might evaluate it before posting the ad, or even getting suggestions on other ways I could get it out of my storage. For example, just now I thought maybe a sailing school might be interested. I will post it, though, as soon as I can come up with the right wording.
Old 01-02-2024, 18:15   #4

If it has been sitting in a box for 15 years after only being used once or twice and has never been dropped or handled roughly, it's probably in near perfect condition. They sell for about $900 new, and there are a few listings on eBay for around $500 or $600. I think that's a reasonable starting point.

If and when you do list it for sale, be sure to include lots of pictures. The more, the better. These should include close-up shots of all the mirrors, shades, telescope lenses, the arc, micrometer, etc. It's also a good idea to post pictures of the box and all accessories, including the adjusting wrench, brush, etc., that came with it (if you have all of that, of course).

You can also post on NavList. Lots of celestial navigation enthusiasts frequent that site. Most of the regular posters there probably have multiple sextants (like me). But, many visitors are lurkers who don't post often, if ever. There's a good chance that one of them is looking for a used sextant that has been well cared for.

If you like, I can talk you through the process of checking the sextant for errors. But again, if it hasn't been abused, any errors should be easy to correct using the normal procedure.
SeanPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 10:04   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPatrick View Post
If it has been sitting in a box for 15 years after only being used once or twice and has never been dropped or handled roughly, it's probably in near perfect condition. They sell for about $900 new, and there are a few listings on eBay for around $500 or $600. I think that's a reasonable starting point.

If and when you do list it for sale, be sure to include lots of pictures. The more, the better. These should include close-up shots of all the mirrors, shades, telescope lenses, the arc, micrometer, etc. It's also a good idea to post pictures of the box and all accessories, including the adjusting wrench, brush, etc., that came with it (if you have all of that, of course).

You can also post on NavList. Lots of celestial navigation enthusiasts frequent that site. Most of the regular posters there probably have multiple sextants (like me). But, many visitors are lurkers who don't post often, if ever. There's a good chance that one of them is looking for a used sextant that has been well cared for.

If you like, I can talk you through the process of checking the sextant for errors. But again, if it hasn't been abused, any errors should be easy to correct using the normal procedure.
Wow, thank you very much for these suggestions and information. I will start working on the pictures and wording for the advert. I actually have two sextants myself. The other one was purchased in Hong Kong back in the 1930's, I think. Dad worked on oil tankers going from California to Japan, China and other places. I don't think I'll sell that one but might donate to a local maritime museum, if they are interested.
Again, thank you very much for your ideas and offer of help.
Cheers,
Ross (aka Rockfish)
Old 08-02-2024, 15:57   #6

Boat: Hunter 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPatrick View Post

I think that's an over estimate of the value. I have listed mine a couple of times at that price, with wooden case, tools, parts, practice bubble. Never got an email. Thinking I'll just use it as decoration along with my microscope collection :O)
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2024, 10:49   #7

Darn, I don't have enough room on my shelf of Z-gauge model trains and mini-model cameras for a heavy-duty plastic, airtight with pressure release valve sextant case, so I'm going to have to go ahead with trying to find the sextant a good home.
So, if anyone else, living in the Vancouver BC area, is still reading this thread, please contact if you are interested in presenting a low-ball offer.
R.
Old 11-02-2024, 10:26   #8

For the hordes that expressed interest (2 tops) I've posted a For Sale in Classified with more details and a picture. I would insert a link but haven't figured out how to do that yet.

Tags
sextant