Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-06-2008, 14:00   #16
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
Alan (NordicCat), I think the reason Alan (angloof) is saying the host pays all expenses is because in some locations if expenses are shared it falls under the same regulations as chartering. Not saying that makes it work any better, just saying I think I see the logic behind it.

Alan (angloof), correct me if I am guessing wrong.

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2008, 14:01   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Successful Time-Share operations are businesses, with overhead costs and profits.
The average timeshare resort has a marketing overhead of 50 to 60%.
Who would be willing to cover these costs, in a volunteer based operation, like ours?
Who pays for the management of “the system” ?

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2008, 14:37   #18

Boat: Vandestadt ketch 42
Dacust is correct...I believe/d in some areas it would change the status of the owner to have a formal expense arrangement.

The reason why those interested should post specific week/s rather than say a more informal arrangement is that generally I would have thought that most would seek to make their holiday/cruise/travel arrangements sometime in advance.

It shouldn't in anyway, come near to being a business and certainly not for profit or gain. However if we use the "timeshare" example Gord mentioned then it would be the RCI and II side of it. The discipline of the system could be used however as its a system understood(Exchange) by many.

I reitorate, we have a common interest with various and varied location/cruising/boat types. I am sure that I would enjoy meeting new guests and showing them the bueaties of my area with some offshore islands. Others will combine a series of day sails... But in all events it will be interesting, informative and I am quite sure, very pleasureable to meet in person some very unique people, with a common interest....we sail

Once again can I ask someone to help me post a poll or perhaps start a new thread with a poll attached.

Best regards

Alan
anglooff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2008, 10:44   #19
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
I have added to this thread so we can consolidate

I read thru those Threads and found some other links within….. All with mostly positive enthusiasm about the potential of this concept, but with posters not sure how to get it started.

I am not suggesting just one kind of scenario with a boat to boat swap, or boat to condo swap, or whether it would/should be bareboat or accompanied, as there are too many variables to consider for each situation.

What I am suggesting is providing a “Meeting Place” within this active Forum.

Where likeminded people can look for and make initial contact with any private yacht Owners who expressed similar interest to swap for a limited period, recreational assets, rather than pay for commercial rental in a distant land, that usually gets heavy public use.

I am not suggesting a forum for chartering as that would be a commercial vendor and is not in the spirit of what this meeting place would be all about.

Perhaps Admin could consider adding a new directory to “The Fleet” (or wherever they preferred) called something like “Private Yacht-Time Swap”

Interested Parties could start individual threads about what they have to offer using a standard title = “Type-Location” format.

Then explain, Size, Age, cruising area with photo of boat or condo. Poster would then simply describe what interests they have in swapping with, level of marine experience and request that anyone interested with a suitable time-swap, SEND THEM A PRIVATE MESSAGE!

I would also suggest that we post a “Sticky” at the top giving advice on how to individually set this up in a secure and professional manner with others, but that CF takes no responsibility for any outcome (standard stuff).

For example, I am pretty much retired now but still quite active; I have a well found Schooner based in Subic Philippines as well as a private beach front Condo situated at a famous Dive Resort area in same country.

Both are quite unique and I would love to exchange some time with a boat/condo in a well placed situation.

I am happy to start the ball rolling if Admin is willing to create a Meeting Place, where we could find each other, rather than them being lost under vague titles.

Look forward to feedback and consolidating the various Threads.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2008, 10:50   #20
CF Adviser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wheeler View Post
The discussion does come about sort of once a year maybe. But it has never gained any momentum. If it is a "lets swap boats" you are thinking of, the issue's that come about are,
Stangers on your boat.
Insurance for your boat with strangers skippering it.
Qualifications
The list goes on and on. It is not a simple issue of hey lets swap.
Totally agree which is why we should only create a place to meet but also post a sticky with practical advice on how to set it up
Old 15-08-2008, 15:01   #21

Boat: FP Tobago 35
So what's up Admins? Are we going to give this idea a chance, or do we just let it die out?

You can put a disclaimer on the list, so no responsibility issues arise. Sure there are and will be issues that people will just have to sort out between themselves, not with CF.

Only rule need be no commercial vendors allowed to post.

Looking forward to a hopefully positive response.

cheers

Alan
Nordic cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2008, 15:48   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
You can add a classified stating you have a boat to exchange. Unless we have enough interest I don't see us adding a whole section just yet. We add sections based on volume. If you can attract enough people it can be done.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2008, 17:31   #23
CF Adviser

Paul for this to work it needs to be consolidated into one area as a reference place for those who are considering it. (I rarely look at classifieds)

Just as Admin created the new “Challenges” file to keep it organised.

Do you want us to do a Poll to find out how many members would be interested in seeing individual Private Yacht-Time Swap opportunities in other parts of the world?

We could do that to assure you of the “volume” of interest if you like but from what I’ve read so far about the basic intent….everyone may be interested in looking at holiday options….. if not actually sold on participating.

How to we convince Admin that this is a worth while point of intrest to be developed?
Old 15-08-2008, 17:33   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic cat View Post
So what's up Admins? Are we going to give this idea a chance, or do we just let it die out?
Proposed changes to Cruisers Forum takes time. Decisions have to be made behind the scenes with input from the administrators and the moderators. A decision is then made. This thread has the attention of the people who can make that change. Please be patient.

Thanks,

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2008, 17:36   #25
CF Adviser

Thanks David...that is all I was waiting for...some guidance on how to proceed
Old 18-08-2008, 07:14   #26

Boat: Vandestadt ketch 42
Sorry I was away at the boat and away from internet connection...

I am very glad to see that Pelagic put forward the idea regards creating a specific "location" whereby interested parties would have a contact zone to discuss/arrange possibilities.

Fundamentally, I believe the general principal is sound.... I firmly believe that there will be sufficient interest to establish a basic platform... As such, the positive feedback from those experiencing eg a week sailing in a new location, will filter back and add stimulus, to what is extremely usual in other sports shared in common.

Therefore I add my wholehearted support to Pelagic's request to the administrators to establish a "virtual meeting place" within the forum. I am quite sure that looking back, years hence that sufficient number of members will have enjoyed this extra opportunity and be glad it was created

Regards

Alan
anglooff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2008, 08:23   #27
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
It sounds enticing, and looks good on paper. I see it being a very difficult situation to work out. In a perfect world it is a perfect idea. In reality too many things can go wrong.
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2018, 13:30   #28

Boat: Nautitech 442, 44 ft
Re: Why does the forum not have an exchange programme

This is the idea I am looking for, and I found this 10-yr old thread which had no further achievement. It seems it has sunk under impossible legal and insurance issues, or was there a revival somewhere else ?
The given link sailboatexchange.com is no longer alive.

I found another website : https://www.boatexchange.online/ , not sure how it works : when you type "US" it shows Canada, and the displayed list of boats don't match at all... Maybe you must be registered to have it working normally.
If no dedicated part of CF exists, which is the most accurate forum where you could find ads for boat exchange (or swap) between such different zones as Pacific/US east coast ?
Personal experiences, if they ever exist, are welcome.

Thank you.
Old 23-05-2018, 13:48   #29
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Shrubb-
Would you be willing to give your boat to a perfect stranger with no assurance of credentials or skills or financial responsibility for a week? Most of us would not. And your insurer might think very poorly of the idea.
Which is not to say you couldn't try to start a "club", verify the members, make the arrangements and take a fee.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2018, 17:46   #30
CF Adviser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
I have added to this thread so we can consolidate

I read thru those Threads and found some other links within….. All with mostly positive enthusiasm about the potential of this concept, but with posters not sure how to get it started.

I am not suggesting just one kind of scenario with a boat to boat swap, or boat to condo swap, or whether it would/should be bareboat or accompanied, as there are too many variables to consider for each situation.

What I am suggesting is providing a “Meeting Place” within this active Forum.

Where likeminded people can look for and make initial contact with any private yacht Owners who expressed similar interest to swap for a limited period, recreational assets, rather than pay for commercial rental in a distant land, that usually gets heavy public use.

I am not suggesting a forum for chartering as that would be a commercial vendor and is not in the spirit of what this meeting place would be all about.

Perhaps Admin could consider adding a new directory to “The Fleet” (or wherever they preferred) called something like “Private Yacht-Time Swap”

Interested Parties could start individual threads about what they have to offer using a standard title = “Type-Location” format.

Then explain, Size, Age, cruising area with photo of boat or condo. Poster would then simply describe what interests they have in swapping with, level of marine experience and request that anyone interested with a suitable time-swap, SEND THEM A PRIVATE MESSAGE!

I would also suggest that we post a “Sticky” at the top giving advice on how to individually set this up in a secure and professional manner with others, but that CF takes no responsibility for any outcome (standard stuff).

For example, I am pretty much retired now but still quite active; I have a well found Schooner based in Subic Philippines as well as a private beach front Condo situated at a famous Dive Resort area in same country.

Both are quite unique and I would love to exchange some time with a boat/condo in a well placed situation.

I am happy to start the ball rolling if Admin is willing to create a Meeting Place, where we could find each other, rather than them being lost under vague titles.

Look forward to feedback and consolidating the various Threads.
I posted these thoughts in 2008 and we never heard back from Admin about a "Boat Swap" Forum.

I still think this has value and now with many free Video chat apps it is easy for individuals to discuss details and get to know each other.

Boat condition and accomodations can also be viewed online prior to making a formal decision.

For example, my Filipino partner really wants to salmon fish in Alaska or BC... An area I knew and sports fished intimately in the 80's-90's

To take our 65ft motor sailor there from Philippines would be a 2 year commitment as we would want to return to the Philippines.

So a 2-3 week trade in time with a Cdn/Us boat set up for fishing and positioned North from Prince Rupert to QC or Seward as mutually beneficial would really be attractive to us.

I think the user should pay all consumables after positioning, as it would only be fair if a power boat was used for fishing.

In our case it would just be the two of us, sharing the boat and best fishing spots with the Owners.

In return, our Stargazer would be available and positioned from Busuanga to Port Barton Palawan for the best season March- May to enjoy a warm holiday.
Click image for larger version

Name:	1 Caruray to Long Beach.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	170389Click image for larger version

Name:	20170908_115115.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	170390Click image for larger version

Name:	San Vincente 1.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	170391Click image for larger version

Name:	20170909_102520.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	170392
For larger custom boats, I would prefer the owner/operator to be on board as I am on holiday and not interested in learning one-off operational details.
So a fun relationship between two like minded couples has a good chance to become a friendship.

I may just start a specific thread for our salmon fishing boat swap for 2019 to see how it goes