Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2019, 18:19   #1

Where would you go live to learn to sail?

I know that I can take sailing classes just about anywhere. So learning to sail isn't a location specific event, but...

My wife and I are looking to learn to sail with hopes of perhaps becoming liveaboards eventually.

We have no home currently. We are unhappy where we are. So we are looking to move anyway. We are not in a coastal state, and never have been. There is no employment considerations, so we can go anywhere we want. We do have a bunch of kids at home still. With a goal of sailing, we'd like to go somewhere where it would be quite easy to familiarize ourselves with the culture and activities. Where it is easy to visit marinas, boat shows, find crew opportunities, meet and befriend other sailors, etc. We'd rent rather than buy.

So if you could go anywhere to do that, where would you go? We are looking into East Coast of the US, but I'd love to hear about other worldwide locations. (Be specific if you can... so rather than saying South Carolina, give me the name of the town and why.) What sailing school/instructor? What yacht club, etc?

Cheers!
JensenJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2019, 18:29   #2
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: Where would you go live to learn to sail?

Tortola
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2019, 18:29   #3

South coast of England/Cornwall - from the Hamble.

The training and courses are typically better there than in the us, the weather and tides/current likely to be a bit tougher (good for learning). And it is a fun and interesting and attractive place to sail.
Breaking Waves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2019, 19:39   #4

Boat: catalina 22 & 27

Chesapeake Bay, st petersburg florida, Kemah texas. Good luck! Thx-Ace
Old 17-12-2019, 04:51   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaking Waves View Post

The training and courses are typically better there than in the us, the weather and tides/current likely to be a bit tougher (good for learning). And it is a fun and interesting and attractive place to sail.
Yes, and the instructors are excellent
HiAndDri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2019, 05:04   #6

New England in the Summer, Florida Keys in the Winter.

PNW is a good choice too except the water temps are not conducive to swimming, if swimming is your thing. Same for California.

If you can work remotely then sailing offshore route from FL to NE in the late Spring (late April/early May) is usually a blast. Going back in the Fall is a bit trickier due to possibility of Hurricanes and just nastier weather in general but ICW is your friend if you have the time to use that going South.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2019, 05:46   #7
Marine Service Provider

I have specialized in training and coaching on the Chesapeake Bay for four decades. For a variety of reasons, it is a top choice for both cruising sailors and for learn to sail opportunities. You say you have a"bunch of kids at home" which raise a lot of questions, so perhaps you could clarify. There are many criteria for choosing a sail training or sailing school opportunity. What is more important--the location? The boat? The coach? The curricula? The plan or goal? The cost? When a family is involved or wants to do this together, this can of course impact the decision and process.
Paul Annapolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2019, 05:59   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaking Waves View Post

Absolutely, take a 6 month rental in Hampshire do the sailing course from any of the dozens of schools and then consider buying the boat and "do Europe" for a few years.

this is a property search for the County of Hamsphire to give you a flavour of what is available and the costs for typical 3 and 4 bed houses and flats:

Linky

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	52182_102277000613_IMG_01_0000_max_656x437.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	205255  
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2019, 08:45   #9

Boat: Pearson 303

San Francisco Bay. It has it all!
rmesfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2019, 08:46   #10

Boat: 42ft Moody Ketch

Although I refer to my cousins south of the Border with there excellent advice, coming to Scotland and sailing and living will give you some of the best sailing in the World , diverse landscapes and sailing and also cheaper accommodation , cheaper sailing and OFC nice people.
tarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2019, 08:51   #11

Sailing Academy in Cowes Isle of White. You will really learn, encounter tough conditions, practice in depth navigation. radio, engine maintenance, fire fighting etc.
peterbeale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2019, 08:53   #12

Boat: Watkins 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by JensenJourney View Post
I know that I can take sailing classes just about anywhere. So learning to sail isn't a location specific event, but...

My wife and I are looking to learn to sail with hopes of perhaps becoming liveaboards eventually.

We have no home currently. We are unhappy where we are. So we are looking to move anyway. We are not in a coastal state, and never have been. There is no employment considerations, so we can go anywhere we want. We do have a bunch of kids at home still. With a goal of sailing, we'd like to go somewhere where it would be quite easy to familiarize ourselves with the culture and activities. Where it is easy to visit marinas, boat shows, find crew opportunities, meet and befriend other sailors, etc. We'd rent rather than buy.

So if you could go anywhere to do that, where would you go? We are looking into East Coast of the US, but I'd love to hear about other worldwide locations. (Be specific if you can... so rather than saying South Carolina, give me the name of the town and why.) What sailing school/instructor? What yacht club, etc?

Cheers!

Miami/Biscayne Bay..Really fine private schools, awesome shopping, great restaurants and probably the best sailing in the Southeastern U.S. The US Olympic sailing teams train here.

Its a multi cultural, mostly Hispanic city... Coral Gables and Pinecrest are fantastic towns just outside of Miami proper. Lots of Marinas, one of the worlds biggest boat shows every year. and the weather is awesome.
dennismenace111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2019, 08:55   #13

Auckland, New Zealand, the city of sails. If you have the option New Zealand is the place to go.
tiopirata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2019, 08:56   #14

Boat: Small yellow rubber ducky

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarian View Post
Although I refer to my cousins south of the Border with there excellent advice, coming to Scotland and sailing and living will give you some of the best sailing in the World , diverse landscapes and sailing and also cheaper accommodation , cheaper sailing and OFC nice people.

How is the sailing in winter?
taxwizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2019, 09:03   #15

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

I posted a comment in another thread a while ago which echos the thoughts of some members in this thread:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2950274

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh2002 View Post
...I think that the RYA instructors in the UK are the best at this stuff.

They do it with wind, they do it with tide, and they do it well. Personally it's not my favourite place to sail, but at least there is normally a good pub at the destination to try and make up for it.

However if you really want to learn or hone skills I couldn't suggest anything better than doing some RYA practical courses in the UK. Preferably in winter when it is additionally unpleasant, cold, wet, and difficult.

Why? Because they focus on real, practical skills. You actually have to do it. Like the video above but with wind and tide. Or hunting down an unlit post on a sand bank through blind DR navigation - you are below navigating, and issuing instructions to the helmsman on deck (Bramble Bank anyone?).

After that type of learning experience most things will seem much easier by comparison.
And I used to give similar advice to younger deck crew: "If you just want the piece of paper go and do it where it is cheapest and easiest - but if you actually want to learn something, go and do it in the UK".

jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grass, sail