Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2019, 10:05   #1

What's required to crew?

Hi Everyone.
Absolute novice - which will explain a lot of my questions.
Apparently, I don't know how to enter the correct parameters in the search engine.

I have a little water related experience.
Surfed A LOT (Honolulu) in high school and College. Wished I had been a Navy brat, instead of an AirForce brat Oh - and I did stay at a Holiday Inn a few times

So.....I just officially joined the "senior" ranks and I'm tired of watching youtubers on their adventures dreaming about it.

I'm not in a position to afford the fees of ASA classes.
Can I learn to sail through Crewing until I can afford to pay for ASA classes?
Do people accept absolute novices (like me) as Crew?
Right now, I tend to be a night owl - would that be a good Crew fit?
What are the costs associated with Crewing?
Do I have to have my own....life vest, food, weather gear">foul weather gear, money......?

I've surfed for up to 12 hours at a time in Hawaii, but I couldn't swim or surf (never owned a wet suit) in San Diego. In 15 minutes, my lips would get dark purple and I would start shaking uncontrollably (in July) - Would that disqualify me from crewing?
Also, I am a new member to the Diabetic community (but I'm not overweight or obese). Would that disqualify me?

I've seen (lived) in Asian countries, so I want to see Europe. How do you crew folks get your passport? Mine expired about 7 years ago and according to the US passport website, I have to supply travel plans and lodging reservations to get a new one - which makes international travel on a moment's notice sorta difficult.

Any guidance would be appreciated.
Allergic2wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 10:13   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: What's required to crew?

Welcome to the forum, Allergic. We take everyone; have no fear on that account.

Do you know people who sail? Have a marina or yacht club or DIY boat yard to hang out in? Make friends easily? Have skills (painting, electrical, mechanical) to contribute? If you want to sail from scratch, go where people sail, and inquire with modesty. Contribute; just about every owner with a boat being fixed on Saturday morning will appreciate some help. No money needed, although generally speaking yes, owning your own nasty weather gear would help.
Old 06-07-2019, 15:15   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allergic2wind View Post
Hi Everyone.
Absolute novice - which will explain a lot of my questions.
Apparently, I don't know how to enter the correct parameters in the search engine.

I have a little water related experience.
Surfed A LOT (Honolulu) in high school and College. Wished I had been a Navy brat, instead of an AirForce brat Oh - and I did stay at a Holiday Inn a few times

So.....I just officially joined the "senior" ranks and I'm tired of watching youtubers on their adventures dreaming about it.

I'm not in a position to afford the fees of ASA classes.
Yes, if you make friends with sailors, either at sailing clubs or by offering to help while the boats are on the hardstand and being worked on by the owner.

Yes, because then they can bring you along as crew the way they want to.

It would be good for watch standing, but not very much use because most social sailing takes place in the day time. You would find yourself at the bottom of the list due to inexperience for offshore crew where the ability to stand night watches is more necessary.

What are the costs associated with Crewing? Transportation costs to get to venue
Do I have to have my own....life vest, food, foul weather gear, money......?

Yes, to PFD, and PLB (if you want one); own foul wx gear, and most would expect you to pay for your own shoreside treats. However, this is an issue to take up with the individual skipper. When I began sailing, skippers provided something for lunch, crew provided their own beverages, but it really depends on the skipper.

I've surfed for up to 12 hours at a time in Hawaii, but I couldn't swim or surf (never owned a wet suit) in San Diego. In 15 minutes, my lips would get dark purple and I would start shaking uncontrollably (in July) - Would that disqualify me from crewing?

No, getting cold will not, but you will want to consider how to keep warm if you get wet.

Also, I am a new member to the Diabetic community (but I'm not overweight or obese). Would that disqualify me?

Possibly. If your diabetes is controlled by diet, perhaps not. No one wants a diabetic coma situation with their crew, so be prepared to educate them, and perhaps make sure you are thoroughly educated about any potential hazards your condition might present to others. From the point of view of a skipper, if you had the choice of someone in completely good health, or one with a possible impairment to be responsible for, which one would you choose?

I've seen (lived) in Asian countries, so I want to see Europe. How do you crew folks get your passport? Mine expired about 7 years ago and according to the US passport website, I have to supply travel plans and lodging reservations to get a new one - which makes international travel on a moment's notice sorta difficult.

You'd have to get the position, first. You need to make yourself attractive as crew by getting sea time and good references, and then you may be able to present the travel plans you envision.

Any guidance would be appreciated.
Imo, you need some kind of experience on sailboats to even be considered as crew, even free crew, unless you're starting at the very lowest levels of club racing. Your vision of seeing Europe from someone else's boat is not very practical, because most cruisers boats are their homes, they're used to doing everything without a crew, and don't want the duty of care for crew.

To be crew at an international level, you will need skills and references.

Ann
Old 06-07-2019, 15:44   #4

Crewing is a subset of that whole boat/sailing thing. Which, I assume, you want to get into.

An absolute novice aboard a boat isn't a crew-member, they're a passenger. A guest. But if they're willing to pitch in, the skipper might show them how to do various things, and as knowledge grows, that novice becomes a sailor, and becomes a candidate for crewing.

Short answer, find a way to get onto boats as often as possible. Canvass your network to find or make a friend with a boat. If there's boating want-ads or bulletin boards at marinas, post a notice asking to go out. Some friendly boat-clubs accept non-boat-owning (aka social) members which isn't too expensive.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 16:22   #5

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allergic2wind View Post
What are the costs associated with Crewing?
Do I have to have my own....life vest, food, foul weather gear, money......?

Hello Allergic2wind,

Crewing is a great way to learn to sail. You don't really need ASA classes.

There are always some skippers so shorthanded for the beer can race (short afternoon races) that they will take a novice. You need to be friendly, optimistic, and tell the skipper that even though you don't have experience you are willing to work, willing to learn, and will follow orders.

Get down to the docks on race day about 1 hour before the racing starts (you'll prove your resourcefulness by being able to find out that information) and ask everyone you see getting out of a car if they need crew. Without ANY experience it may take a little luck and persistence but you will get a ride.

Once on the boat do what you're told and don't say much.

The next time it will be easier; you'll have experience. And every time after that, even easier. You may even be asked to come back. You should be able to say, "Whenever you need me I'll be there."

In one year you will know a lot about sailing, and it will be nearly free.

Depending on the weather in your area you may or may not need foul weather gear. (don't buy expensive stuff at first, a good rain jacket will usually do). A life jacket of your own will be a good thing. Just ask the skipper when he invites you to the next race if you need to bring anything. For a long race, overnighter for example, be prepared. But the crewing thing is WAY less expensive than any other way of learning.

Night owl has no bearing until you get on a long race where night time crewing is needed.

Your medical issue is your own business, just make sure you have whatever you need to stay conscious and working (sandwich, pills, whatever)

Good luck in your endeavor, you can be successful doing it this way and you'll meet a lot of people, some good sailors, and you'll soon be one yourself.

Oh, You might change your username (allergic2wind)?? This is sailing.
Old 06-07-2019, 16:47   #6

Boat: Catalina 320

Quote:
Mine expired about 7 years ago and according to the US passport website, I have to supply travel plans and lodging reservations to get a new one
That's only if you want it expedited, just renewed mine it was easier than getting my drivers license renewed. Photos at the UPS store or Walmart.

https://www.usa.gov/passport#item-213543
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 17:39   #7

Boat: a sailing boat

Go to a place boats congregate before setting off. I think in the Antilles this would be are St Martin and thereabouts. If you are in Europe, try, Lisboa, Gibraltar or Las Palmas.

If you want to be a farmer you want to be inland where the land is fertile.

If you want to be a sailor you want to be where ships set off.

A beginner crew needs no skills but needs personality and often is asked to pay for a ride (not always in money though).

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 18:39   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
Hello Allergic2wind,

Oh, You might change your username (allergic2wind)?? This is sailing.

LOL!!! ....

Thanks for all the info.
Old 07-07-2019, 09:12   #9

Boat: offshore 8 meter

hi, i took crew once in 1985. i have never and will never take crew again unless they meet certain conditions .1.they give me there air fare to their country of origin.2.the have medical insurance. 3 they let me search them and their bags for drugs one of mine had heroin. 4 i keep their passport untill there off my crew list. 5 if they say there experienced i want to see qualifications or they are just passengers and must pay .once you are on someones crew list they are responsible for you.my crew ran out of heroin half way into a 4 week crossing .NEVER AGAIN .
scallowayuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 09:27   #10

An easy way to start getting some sailing experience is to crew at beer-can races over the summer. Just show up at the marina one hour before the race, walk the dock and ask, there are always boats looking for additional crew, even total novices. Or work the crew lists online, many of the prospective crews are beginners.

As for crewing in Europe, in summer it is not that hard. With a little experience acquired with the method above, figure out the "cruising paths", travel to one of the stop, walk the dock and ask. There are always boats that can use an extra set of hands, or have just disembarked a crew and are now short. You'll end up hopping around quite a bit, but you'll get plenty of opportunities to sail.

The easiest "path" is probably Croatia because the marinas are easy to identify and reasonably easy to reach by public transportations. Italy is a bit tricky, the boats are very much scattered. Corsica (places like Bonifacio) is a good area with plenty of opportunities. Greece is a bit more difficult to figure out and move around, but it has a lot of boats.

It helps if you "look" like a sailor, even if you do not have experience. As other have suggested, you'll need your own foul-weather gear and a good pair of boat shoes. I think it helps to have your own inflatable life jacket, for some reason it just gives the impression that you are serious or at least reliable about sailing.

When you ask for a crewing spot, the skipper will try to guess, mostly from your appearance and demeanor (because she has no other information to base the decision on), if you will be causing troubles or be a pleasant and reliable person on the boat. I think that's the first consideration, much more important of how much experience you have, so play the part (actually, more than play, be that type of person, and you'll always find a spot).
FabioC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 09:53   #11

In my not particularly humble opinion, by far the most important trait that one needs to crew on a boat is a personality that fits in well with others who are living and working cheek by jowl. If you’re prone to motion sickness it’s quite challenging for you and those around you. Unless one is completely dyslexic and can’t quickly understand left from right, boatcentric chores can be readily mastered. You got to like people and they you to enjoy cruising around with others in a small craft.
boatman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 12:41   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman1 View Post
In my not particularly humble opinion, by far the most important trait that one needs to crew on a boat is a personality that fits in well with others who are living and working cheek by jowl. If you’re prone to motion sickness it’s quite challenging for you and those around you. Unless one is completely dyslexic and can’t quickly understand left from right, boatcentric chores can be readily mastered. You got to like people and they you to enjoy cruising around with others in a small craft.

Most of my career has been face to face, email, phone type customer service sales and management. I don't think you get very far if aren't personable/likeable. So being a people person isn't an issue.

Thank you all for your advice and information.

Fortunately for me, I stumbled across a "sailing with Diabetes" blog. Since I am new to world of Diabetes, I hadn't given it much thought, but after reading the blog and what I could (or have yet) to experience, I now understand the concerns of Captains taking on Diabetics.

Thanks again to everyone!!!!!
Old 07-07-2019, 14:56   #13

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

The best way to lean to sail is in a small skiff or dingy, beg a brocken down one and get it running or join a club where you can borrow one borrow. You will lean how sails work, how to stear and all aspects of basic seamanship without relying on others to get out on the water. You can even progress to some cruising by setting up a boom tent and taking camping gear. If your r,esume includs a week solo dingy camping along the coast or around an island group most skippers will not think of you as a novice. Next step would likly to be to get a regular place with a local race crew doing estury races, couple of seasons at that level and you will be ready to do some offshore stuff. Expect to take 5-10 years to learn to be competent. By then you may be able to aford a boat of you own. People have sailed th world in boats around 26ft that did not cost a fortune.

The other way to get into offshoe sailing is with a compercil delivery skipper but you will need min 5000 miles and all your tickets at least up to coastal skipper. You have to be prepare to sail in all conditions, peple don't pay for deliveries if it is a pleasent cruise. They want boats delivered on time,out of season or because it is a 500 mile windward slog. They also demant the boat arrives in the condition it left in or better. It's a tough ticket
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 15:11   #14

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

There's an app called Meetup. People meet up to go bike riding, knitting, whatever including sailing. It's free to join. Maybe there's a sailing Meetup near you. Everybody is always looking for a hand.
Old 07-07-2019, 16:49   #15

Boat: Prout Event 34

In many sailing areas, there is a singles sailing club. These clubs match a skipper with crew, seems like a perfect fit for you. Except if you are in Indiana the closest may be Chicago? Try an internet search for wherever you want to sail.

As a skipper who has had crew pass out on them, I strongly advise you to ignore the very bad advice of Wingsail and tell the skipper of your diabetes, where any medications are and how to administer them.
john2445 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crew