Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-08-2020, 18:15   #1

What should I look for in a dinghy/motor?

I don't yet own a sailboat, but wanted to buy a dinghy and a motor just I can go out on the lake and eventually use it when I do buy an actual sailboat.

Is there anything specifically I should know or be looking for when getting one? Should I get one that's inflatable or foldable? I assume a foldable one is necessary since it would be hard to inflate one when needed at sea? Or do you just use a generator to inflate it when needed?

I'm also seeing there are both electric and gas powered motors. I assume gas would be preferable since it would be difficult to generate enough excess electricity just with solar panels?

What do you guys use and what should I consider?
TheNomadicAspie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2020, 18:56   #2

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: What should I look for in a dinghy/motor?

An inflatable dinghy can be stored inflated on deck, if your sailing boat is big enough.

If you can live with limited range of an electric outboard, these are great (if pricey). If you think you will want to motor looooong distances, gas seems simpler to 'recharge'.

Cheers,

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2020, 23:41   #3

Boat: Retired from CF

I suggest a small Highfield RIB , 2.4 m and get yourself a 2 HP Yamaha outboard which you can lift with one hand when you one day want to put your Dinghy up on deck or onto Davids.

Bigger is unfortunately really not always better.
SV DINGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2020, 07:52   #4

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner

I’ve had many soft bottoms inflatable dinghy’s, but recently I got a 10’ foot RIB, which is a million times better because of the more stable solid floor, and it planes much more easily. I have davits, so I never need to stow it on deck. However, RIB'S are heavier than a comparable size soft dinghy.

As I see it, the only advantages of a soft bottom is the ability to fold it up or stow it on deck, and lightness, which might be relevant on a smaller boat.
I also bought the most powerful outboard I could easily handle, which for me was 55lbs and 9hp. I hoist this on my transom with a crane, but I can lift it if need be, so buy the most powerful you can handle. You can always throttle back, but you can’t get more HP than it’s rated at. Electric is fine, but they have limited range, and how will you charge it on a sailboat, without a generator? If they go flat in passage you’ve had it.
Old 20-08-2020, 08:10   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Jolly speaks with wisdom. Unless you are talking about your big boat being so small that you cannot carry your dinghy inflated on davits or on deck, the various folding or inflating floor boats are poor compromises to a true RIB. If you are thinking bigger, you can even go to a full dinghy plus inflatable collar, as in the Walker Bay. But, if you are in the intermediate size store-on-deck category, the smallest true IRB that will haul your load plus a motor you can lift on and off is an attractive choice.
Old 20-08-2020, 08:11   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNomadicAspie View Post
I don't yet own a sailboat, but wanted to buy a dinghy and a motor just I can go out on the lake and eventually use it when I do buy an actual sailboat.

Is there anything specifically I should know or be looking for when getting one? Should I get one that's inflatable or foldable? I assume a foldable one is necessary since it would be hard to inflate one when needed at sea? Or do you just use a generator to inflate it when needed?

I'm also seeing there are both electric and gas powered motors. I assume gas would be preferable since it would be difficult to generate enough excess electricity just with solar panels?

There are very few occasions when you might want to use a dinghy 'at sea'. Abandoning ship springs to mind. Many people, including me, carry a self-inflating life raft to allow for this situation. You need a dinghy a) to get to your boat if it's on a mooring rather than a marina berth, b) when you're at anchor or on a non-walk-ashore mooring.
We carry an inflatable, deflated and folded on the coachroof. It takes about ten minutes to inflate and launch from the foredeck with a foot pump. We row it if the distance is not too great, otherwise we use a 2.5 hp outboard.
An inflatable is not very good for general small boat use. A RIB or hard dinghy is much better, so I would suggest you get one that suits your needs at the moment and decide whether it still suits your needs when you buy your dream boat. All dinghies are compromises made against your main boat's size, your strength, your usage (do you intend to spend much time at anchor, or will the majority of your berthing be in Marinas?) the size of your crew etc.
Yellowtulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2020, 08:40   #7

Boat: Seaward 22

I think you need a better idea and timeline on buying your big boat first. IMHO, you would be best served by buying a small daysailer and spend your time sailing.
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2020, 08:52   #8

Boat: Lagoon 450, 46 feet

I would avoid any RIB that doesn't have a fully flat floor. We have a Caribe and the floor has sides that angle up which can be unstable for anyone boarding. I agree with the other post about Highfield RIBs. They seem to be much more stable easy to maneuver. Also, avoid Honda outboards. Unlike most other easy starting Honda products, our outboard is very hard starting and finicky. It is the same situation for an other boater in our fleet with the same motor. It is also has been difficult to find anyone from Florida to Washington DC who repairs and services Honda outboards. While two data points are not significant there must be a reason we see mostly Yamaha outboards on dinghies.
purplesunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2020, 09:07   #9

Boat: Hunter 46

Dinghy selection depends on a lot of factors: sea/lake/estuary conditions, number of passengers, how you plan to store and handle it, maintenance, weight, how far you want to go on it and most of all budget. I have a 53 lb 4 person $650 roll-up inflatable from West Marine.

Dinghy motor selection depends on motor selection (propane, gasoline or electric), hp requirements, range and speed, maintenance and most of all budget. I have a long-range $1700 electric motor from Torpedo since I got tired of the maintenance associated with a gasoline motor and did not want to carry gasoline or propane fuel.
sail sfbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2020, 09:14   #10

Boat: Pearson

A rib and yahama outboard is a great choice, as stated.
Old 20-08-2020, 09:43   #11

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 40

A difference between petrol and electric outboards is speed. In a cruising boat the dinghy is your car. It's used for hauling people and supplies but also for exploring the area. The speed and range of a petrol outboard gives you access to a much greater area.
vpbarkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2020, 09:59   #12

Boat: Tasman 26

You will see most folk who liveaboard or cruise use an inflatable rubber boat (IRB) of some form. They stow on deck, inflated or deflated depending on the size of the yacht, or on davits at the stern. Many prefer a Rigid Hulled Inflatable Boat (RHIB or RIB) version with fibreglass or aluminium hull and inflatable collars, because the ride and handling are better and less prone to damage on reefs, rocks and so on when you drag them ashore. Every boat has a recommended max HP rating. Electric allows you to charge from solar panels and / or generator you will probably end up having on any yacht. Gas (petrol) is the most common for now, but is highly flammable and has to be stowed on deck. Yachts usually have diesel engines but there aren't many small diesel outboards.

BUT as you are just exploring the idea with a thought bomb in a forum like this, I'd go back to your initial thought about buying a dinghy now to 'get out on the water' and that this same boat will be the one you use 'eventually' when you buy a sailing boat. The boat you need on a lake to fish or play about generally isn't necessarily the same one you need on a yacht as a tender.

If you are relatively new to sailing as it seems you might be, but dream of the liveaboard / escape lifestyle, I'd seriously consider a small daysailer on a trailer ... with an outboard. You can camp on it, trail it to other places, build your sailing skills and get used to outboard repairs.

Whatever you get, also check o registration and licences where you live. These vary widely, depending on the boat and he size of any motor. For instance, a small yacht with an outboard under a certain size, often 9.9HP as an 'auxiliary', isn't registered as a power vessel but a dinghy is.
TomThumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2020, 10:19   #13

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

I use a tohatsu 3.5 up with a 9 ft fold up RIB. I have davits, but keep the dink stored in its protective bag when not in use to prtoectvit from sun and weather.
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2020, 12:45   #14

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNomadicAspie View Post

I'd get one that you know is going to last (at least awhile) O.C. Tender, makes the dingy with the best longevity as they're made of fiberglass or carbon fiber. But they are pricey and take awhile to get as they're made to order in NZ. After that it would be the Highfield aluminum bottom with hypalon - also pricey but seems to the favorite among many cruisers. A 15 hp Yamaha outboard would be my choice - they make a good backup even if you decide to go electric later. That said, people usually choose a dingy which best suits their boat but since you don't have the boat yet, you'll need to do some guessing about how big a boat you'll end up with. Or look for a good used dingy - still not free but much cheaper than buying new. Do not buy a paramilitary assault weapon as you'd never get one to fit a mid sized pocket cruiser. Oh, and don't forget the small trailer so you can get it to the lake.
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2020, 13:45   #15

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner

I concur with Joelhemington: You would learn much more by having a sailing dinghy for a time, and have more fun, than pottering about in a noisy rubber boat.
Another thing: If you eventually do buy a liveaboard sailboat, it might well have a suitable dink’ and outboard already, so then you would have two…

Tags
dinghy, motor