Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-07-2016, 14:32   #31

Re: What is a "refit"

Its a bogus term that leads the innocent to assume all new running and standing rigging. Almost never the case. Usually someone coiled the lines and that is about it.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2016, 14:35   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by roland stockham View Post
I think the term comes from commercial/military service, it was maintenance if it was done while the boat was available for duty, it was a refit if the boat was taken out of commission and moved to a refit yard. So if the crew have to move ashore and the boat can't put to sea it's a refit!
No, that is recommissioning a vessel. Its either in commission, being taken out of commission, or being dumped back into commission. Recommissioned means all systems are working according to milspecs.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2016, 14:37   #33

@Sophie

:-) As you might imagine from my whinging, I need to do MY squabs. The whole kit'n'kaboodle, in fact. The "perfessionals" made all the squabs (and the settee cushions as well) six-fot-six. Really, really bright in a small boat where all your stowage is behind one or t'other.

So I'd been moaning for a good used industrial sewing machine. Walked into a good used (and complete) Pfaff 463 the other day for a mere hunnert bux. The "new to you" chandlery where I lie has a complete set of used cushions with the EXACT, IDENTICAL cloth that TrentePieds has!

That'll take care of the dark winter evenings :-)

No zig-zag on that machine, but my sails are new anyway. It's the upholstery that needs - literally - a "refit". And it'll be fine for converting the misbegotten bimini that TrentePieds came with to a much desired dodger. Or is that "sprayhood" where you are :-)?

Cheers

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2016, 15:13   #34

Boat: Hartley Sth Seas 38'

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
@Sophie

No zig-zag on that machine, but my sails are new anyway. It's the upholstery that needs - literally - a "refit". And it'll be fine for converting the misbegotten bimini that TrentePieds came with to a much desired dodger. Or is that "sprayhood" where you are :-)?

Cheers

TrentePieds
Bimini is the name we up here in the North Island use. Watch your fingers on the sewing machine. My double walking foot Juki is hungry and my nerve damaged fingers get into trouble where ever knives or machines are. Luckily it's my left hand and I am right handed. I figured what's a finger or two when one wants new squabs.
Back on topic of what is a refit? T'other (he has built boats) says when building a boat, once it is built, you "fit it out" . It's not the structural, it's fittings and systems. So when one does a refit ,it is generally dealing with those things again. And as probably a64pilot, and t'other agree, the "head" seems appropriate somehow when mentioning our sorely deprived bathroom.
Sofie B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2016, 15:32   #35
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

I seem to remember one of the old school Maine yards, probably Hinckley, does in fact do a standard "refit". If you trade in your old Hinckley for a new one, they do a total refit on it before putting it up for sale.

Stem to stern, everything is examined and made new again, if it was not to start with.

Other than that, assume everything you read in a used boat ad is a lie. Don't even believe that it is a "boat" until you can verify that it floats.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2016, 15:49   #36

Boat: Angus Primrose One design 45ft And Duncanson 34 Mk2

My refit involved the following:
45 yr old cold molded mahogany yacht 44ft long.
ex racing yacht for admirals cup.
complete cut back to bare timber hull and repair any damage. 2 spots found. coated hull with wests epoxy resin x 8 layers starting off really thin on 1st layers etc getting thicker before fairing and coating in hempels 2 pack. Replaced Perkins 4107 with new Nanni 50 hp. Started to refurb mast but too bigger a job so replaced mast with exact replica along with new complete rigging both running/standing. New sails to suit new mast. 8 x new winches. New deck hardware to suit. I couldve bought a new beneteau 45ft with what it owes me but would the new beneteau boat be as good for the money? Doubt it!.. It now owes me more than its worth but it will sure last me another 45 yrs and looks sexy...
nauticalnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2016, 15:53   #37

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nauticalnomad View Post
My refit involved the following:
45 yr old cold molded mahogany yacht 44ft long.
ex racing yacht for admirals cup.
complete cut back to bare timber hull and repair any damage. 2 spots found. coated hull with wests epoxy resin x 8 layers starting off really thin on 1st layers etc getting thicker before fairing and coating in hempels 2 pack. Replaced Perkins 4107 with new Nanni 50 hp. Started to refurb mast but too bigger a job so replaced mast with exact replica along with new complete rigging both running/standing. New sails to suit new mast. 8 x new winches. New deck hardware to suit. I couldve bought a new beneteau 45ft with what it owes me but would the new beneteau boat be as good for the money? Doubt it!.. It now owes me more than its worth but it will sure last me another 45 yrs and looks sexy...
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2016, 16:46   #38

Boat: 1983 Pan Oceanic 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzstar View Post
Middle age is not relative. It is always 10 years older than whatever you are. Keep in mind that someone 10 years older than you applies the same rule.
but my trick is to add 10 years to my age.. then everyone goes damn, he look great for his age.

My boat was a total refit. new glassed deck (teak deck removed), new awgrip paint on hull, all new plumbing including toilet and electro san, all new engine hoses, exhaust system, new mast, boom, rigging, new refer, new electrical panel and wiring, new thru hulls. no electronics but wired for them, This to me would fit the term refit.
oregoncycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2016, 17:15   #39

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofie B View Post
Bimini is the name we up here in the North Island use. Watch your fingers on the sewing machine. My double walking foot Juki is hungry and my nerve damaged fingers get into trouble where ever knives or machines are. Luckily it's my left hand and I am right handed. I figured what's a finger or two when one wants new squabs.
Back on topic of what is a refit? T'other (he has built boats) says when building a boat, once it is built, you "fit it out" . It's not the structural, it's fittings and systems. So when one does a refit ,it is generally dealing with those things again. And as probably a64pilot, and t'other agree, the "head" seems appropriate somehow when mentioning our sorely deprived bathroom.
I use a stilo (needle tool) when working on stuff I cant grab. Get a nice pin point so you can stab into the fabric. It keeps your fingers a few inches from the needle and down stroke of the sewing head.
Old 28-07-2016, 18:45   #40

Boat: e.a jack (builder), g.l watson (designer), 6.2 mtr wll sailboat

refit /change battery in tv remote.

a well maintained boat does not need a refit as all things that need replacing have been/its surprising the parts replaced on new boats under warranty/paid survey or experienced friends can help/good luck with your boat query
knockabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2016, 01:08   #41
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Miura 31

So what exactly is a "refit"?

In true nautical style a proper "refit" means taking the boat onto the hard (dry dock) and going through it from stem to stern, removing each and every item or fixture, inspecting it thoroughly and doing maintenance where necessary then "refitting" it properly and with new seals (re-bedding) it where necessary.

At the same time, on wooden planked vessels, it also meant stripping all coatings, fitting in new planks where needed, re-calking the planks and re-coating. On steel vessels it meant chipping the surface coatings, sand blasting the hull, adding new barrier coats and re-coating.

All hatches were removed, serviced and re-fitted, as were every other conceivable part on the vessel. It was a huge task - but at the end of the day the vessel was often in a better condition than the day it was originally launched.

The above said, a modern day "refit" is seldom a proper "refit" in the traditional meaning and is now, basically, a "fix the broken **** and hide as many faulty things as possible and sell the bloody boat" type of affair.

With modern construction methods, a hatch for example, can only be removed with extreme difficulty and in most cases will result in a bent or damaged combing due to the excessive amount of bonding compounds used. In the old days this was never a problem - simply unbolt the combing, remove the rubber seal and replace it, ensuring that the hinges and dogs are still serviceable and not worn. We live in a new era of cheaply (although not cheap when having to replace) manufactured equipment that often cannot be repaired or properly maintained and needs to be dumped and replaced when starting to age and become worn.

Looking to buy an old boat that has recently gone through a "refit"? - do yourself a favour and get a good surveyor to go through it fully before even considering to make an offer. Have a read of http://www.pcmarinesurveys.com/Marin...rvey%20101.htm pages - I have no affiliation with the surveyor, but find a lot of his pointers very enlightening for somebody who is going to go through the process of buying an old boat.

But remember, if a broker advertises a boat as recently having gone through a "refit", ask them to send you a written report detailing what the "refit" encompassed before viewing the boat. It will give you an idea if it was just a patch job to sell the boat or a genuine "refit".
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refit