Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2013, 12:56   #1
CLOD

Boat: none
Went to the NE Boat Show

So for something to do yesterday my daughter and I went to the New England Boat Show. Now she is on the hook for next year to remind me to not waste my time and money.

But one good thing came out of it. After going into the various show boats my daughter said "Dad none off these boats are as nice as the one you have now!". I had to agree and it was a good feeling to like my old 12 year old boat more than the brand new ones!

PS - unless you are interested in a pontoon boat or a boat to take fishing skip this show and go to a real one. The only thing the NE Boat Show has going for it is that it is in Feb and boaters are stir crazy!
Old 19-02-2013, 13:09   #2

Boat: 1990 Ericson 32-200
Send a message via Skype™ to DennisM
Re: went to the NE Boat show

A 12-yr-old Hunter 410 is a dream vessel. Pontoon boats, not so much...
DennisM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 15:30   #3

Boat: 1968 Ohlson 38 Sloop
Send a message via Yahoo to phantomracer

It has been getting better over the last 2-3 years. not a sailboat show by any means. Got to wait til Newport for a decent sailboat show.

If you came this weekend, I could have kept you entertained! I am doing a sailing seminar at the show.
phantomracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 15:48   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
So for something to do yesterday my daughter and I went to the New England Boat Show. Now she is on the hook for next year to remind me to not waste my time and money.

But one good thing came out of it. After going into the various show boats my daughter said "Dad none off these boats are as nice as the one you have now!". I had to agree and it was a good feeling to like my old 12 year old boat more than the brand new ones!
Don:
I certainly understand. I've gone to the Annapolis show for the past few years and never get on any of the boats. I like my Nonsuch 30 and never felt a reason to go look at another boat. Though I heard some good news for boat buyers though on a business report today. Seems new boat prices are coming down as sales have not been that robust recently.
Old 19-02-2013, 19:37   #5

I always tell the hunter rep the 410 was the best boat they ever made
Whaubner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 19:51   #6

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Unfortunately, most of the shows are only shadows of their former selves, but if you want to have a wallet inferiority attack take a stroll around the brokerage show in Newport. My personal favorite remains Annapolis, though even it has shrunk significantly.
Old 19-02-2013, 20:43   #7

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

LOL the last boat show Connie and I went to, was at the Cow Palace In San Fran. This was over 20 yrs ago !! We decided that most of the stuff for sale was either something we did not want or need or to expensive for our buget!! So we just quit spending the time and money going to them !! We find out all we need to know about the new stuff out there by reading the threads on sites like this !! better for us ! as we are not looking for a NEW Boat anyway !!
Old 19-02-2013, 20:55   #8

We went to the Vancouver boat show a few weeks ago, had a good time. A highlight was a 38 Hans Christian that was outfitted for offshore, it was beautiful - not for sale just to show folks what offshore prep looks like. A few new sail boats and a ton of power boats. A Ranger Tug guy we talked to said they had a great show in Seattle and Van was pretty strong (we were there on the last day) and a broker we spoke to after the show said the new market is where most of the action is these days - in fact they won't even rep many older boats anymore... Seemed attendance was down though from last year.

And Don, I thought of you (as the CF resident Hunter fan) when I said to my husband after we looked at the Hunter 33 - "I kinda like this Hunter and I really didn't expect to!"
terminalcitygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 21:56   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Who is the Hunter dealer in Vancouver. The blog Sequiter has nothing good to say about their Vancouver dealer that did some very poor systems installations.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 22:08   #10

Specialty Yacht Sales? Looks like Hunter awarded them dealer of the year for 2012. I guess the didn't read sequiturs blog.

http://www.yachtworld.com/specialtyy...htsales_0.html
terminalcitygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 04:10   #11
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomracer View Post
It has been getting better over the last 2-3 years.
Well I have been going for 4 years (didn't go last year) and I don't think it has been getting any better. Far as I'm concerned this year's was the most useless 1 I'm been to. Unless you wanted to see a lot on pontoon boats!

I don't think I'm ever going to it again as it isn't really even worth a Feb boat "fix".
Old 20-02-2013, 05:31   #12

Boat: Caliber 40LRC
Re: Went to the NE Boat Show

We were there on Saturday. It really was amazing how many pontoon boats there were. They are the hot sellers right now. We primarily went to speak to vendors about re-upholstering, re-rigging and few other topics. We did go aboard all the sailboats.

We also got to race the RC sailboats which was a blast.

Took my wife to Lucky's in Fort Point for dinner and she loved it.
TKR on a Boat Website
Tim R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 05:57   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
LOL the last boat show Connie and I went to, was at the Cow Palace In San Fran. This was over 20 yrs ago !! We decided that most of the stuff for sale was either something we did not want or need or to expensive for our buget!! So we just quit spending the time and money going to them !! We find out all we need to know about the new stuff out there by reading the threads on sites like this !! better for us ! as we are not looking for a NEW Boat anyway !!
bobconnie.... How are you keeping your stock in the ever so mandatory Sham-Wow's???? I haven't seen a boat show without them !

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 07:08   #14

Boat: 1968 Ohlson 38 Sloop
Send a message via Yahoo to phantomracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
Well I have been going for 4 years (didn't go last year) and I don't think it has been getting any better. Far as I'm concerned this year's was the most useless 1 I'm been to. Unless you wanted to see a lot on pontoon boats!

I don't think I'm ever going to it again as it isn't really even worth a Feb boat "fix".
last year was a big larger. they opened another partition in the hall.

Just too bad there are not a lot of sailboats.

Was at the providence show..they had a double decker pontoon boat with a slide... very redneck!

still decent entertainment for $12. Also most people forget about the seminars (not just mine!), can add a lot of value to the show if you like the topics. I try and do a sailing seminar each year to offset all the power oriented ones. And you get a free magazine subscription with the admission. so not a total loss.

But yes the shows are a shadow of their former glory, but slowly improving.
phantomracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 08:02   #15
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomracer View Post
still decent entertainment for $12. Also most people forget about the seminars (not just mine!), can add a lot of value to the show if you like the topics. I try and do a sailing seminar each year to offset all the power oriented ones. And you get a free magazine subscription with the admission. so not a total loss.
You just be associated with the show in some form.

It was $42 for 2 tickets and parking and it took less than 1.5 hours to see everything. I looked at the seminars when I got there and as I was leaving to see if any were worth going to and at least for me none were (my past experience in ones I've gone to is that the seminars sound better in writing than they in person).

I had a couple of items I wanted to find out about when there but there wasn't vendor to match (seemed less vendors than 2 years ago).

So my free magazine was pretty expensive!