Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-11-2016, 04:51   #16

Boat: Able 50
Re: Weather -Sydney to Brisbane in December?

Well if you sail in December the breeze will most likely be in the NE. At that time of year they come thumping in pretty hard at around 15-25 in the afternoons then die off through the night. The morning breeze can be from anywhere at around 0-5 knots then things usually pick up around noon from either E or NE. You might not get any wind at all from the south.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2016, 12:36   #17

Boat: looking for next boat

welcome aboard, as many people have commented on this particular stretch of water over the years, It's not for the faint hearted , The saying goes if you can sail that stretch of water you can sail anywhere!!
Firstly you should do at least 2-3 weeks in Sydney getting to know what the boat is all about, My experience is with a brand new boat many things go wrong so best you hammer the boat dealer in Sydney before you depart. Secondly, what equipment does it have and do you know how to run it. Most of these boat dealers sell you a new boat, throw the keys at you with a bottle of champagne and send you on your way. not a good start for what possibly could turn into a 7 day delivery up to Brisbane.
Do not under estimate this stretch of water , You will be heading the wrong way at that time of year, It is still doable as I have made this trip at least 10 times over the past 30 years , but have had my share of misfortune to be hit by lighting and take out all the electronics to the tune of 30K
In regards to a skipper, check there credentials closely as many state they know what they are doing, make sure you get one that has done this trip and quiz them on how they intend to sail this coastal passage, Tides, currents anchorages, marinas. On marinas, you better check to see if Coffs is open if you wish to stop in as it was busted up earlier this year and may be unable to berth you.

Good luck and fair seas
Garethk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2016, 12:36   #18

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hi, Heg,

If you hire a professional, he or she is likely to want to finish the trip in a hurry, in order to get onto the next job. This means motoring into it. You won't learn much about how the boat sails. If you have a "mentor-like" friend, that might be a better solution than the pro.

I'd take this in small bites. You'll be on the steep part of the learning curve. You'll want to learn how long you want to be under way during the day, and what that amounts to in distance over the ground. Allow plenty of time. Again, Lucas will prove a good source for you. We have made this trip, many times, but not in December, at which time, we are headed for Tasmania for the summer.

However, the well known strategy for northbound on the NSW coast is to stay close inshore, out of the current as much as you can, and fight your way around the points, and tuck back in. Most of it can be done in day hops. Coff's is working as an anchorage these days, no pens available since the storms earlier this year. Holding varies considerably in there, the best we have found is either on the marina side of the jetty, or just south east of the jetty.

Brianlara3 suggested you go straight through from Pittwater to Pt. Stephens. If you have good breeze, that would be fine, however there are two places where it is possible to stop between Pittwater and Pt. Stephens: Free public moorings at Swansea, and also, Newcastle, where we anchor in the river. Newcastle has a good marina, as well, phone ahead for a transient berth.

We generally break the trip at Iluka/Yamba, and anchor in Iluka. Next day you can stop at Ballina, if it's calm, or push on to the Gold Coast Seaway. About the barred entries, Lucas says halfway into the flood, and this is usually when the run-out has finished. The lighter, warmer water is still flowing out, even though the colder water is flooding in underneath it: the depths increase, but the flow looks like an ebb.

If you find your boat will not happily go to weather (some cats are better than others), you may want to wait for southerly winds, and then sail on them on successive overnighters to get the job done. [Use pre-cooked main meals.] Quite often, you will find that the breeze is light in the night and early morning, and stronger offshore, this is the time to head out on the offshore tack, and then, as it strengthens, and you approach a position from which you can fetch that day's destination on the other tack, tack and head in. The problem with this plan is that it takes you out where the current is stronger. Short tacking might be better, but it does require good performance to weather.

Take some seasickness prevention stuff with you, you might need it. One of our Aussie friends swears by Kwell, but I have never tried it.

Ann
Old 18-11-2016, 13:39   #19
Heg

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Lipari Evolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garethk View Post
welcome aboard, as many people have commented on this particular stretch of water over the years, It's not for the faint hearted , The saying goes if you can sail that stretch of water you can sail anywhere!!
Firstly you should do at least 2-3 weeks in Sydney getting to know what the boat is all about, My experience is with a brand new boat many things go wrong so best you hammer the boat dealer in Sydney before you depart. Secondly, what equipment does it have and do you know how to run it. Most of these boat dealers sell you a new boat, throw the keys at you with a bottle of champagne and send you on your way. not a good start for what possibly could turn into a 7 day delivery up to Brisbane.
Do not under estimate this stretch of water , You will be heading the wrong way at that time of year, It is still doable as I have made this trip at least 10 times over the past 30 years , but have had my share of misfortune to be hit by lighting and take out all the electronics to the tune of 30K
In regards to a skipper, check there credentials closely as many state they know what they are doing, make sure you get one that has done this trip and quiz them on how they intend to sail this coastal passage, Tides, currents anchorages, marinas. On marinas, you better check to see if Coffs is open if you wish to stop in as it was busted up earlier this year and may be unable to berth you.

Good luck and fair seas
More great advice. Thanks Gareth. The boat isn't new -it's just new to us, which pretty much amounts to the same thing I guess.
Heg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2016, 13:43   #20
Heg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Hi, Heg,

If you hire a professional, he or she is likely to want to finish the trip in a hurry, in order to get onto the next job. This means motoring into it. You won't learn much about how the boat sails. If you have a "mentor-like" friend, that might be a better solution than the pro.

I'd take this in small bites. You'll be on the steep part of the learning curve. You'll want to learn how long you want to be under way during the day, and what that amounts to in distance over the ground. Allow plenty of time. Again, Lucas will prove a good source for you. We have made this trip, many times, but not in December, at which time, we are headed for Tasmania for the summer.

However, the well known strategy for northbound on the NSW coast is to stay close inshore, out of the current as much as you can, and fight your way around the points, and tuck back in. Most of it can be done in day hops. Coff's is working as an anchorage these days, no pens available since the storms earlier this year. Holding varies considerably in there, the best we have found is either on the marina side of the jetty, or just south east of the jetty.

Brianlara3 suggested you go straight through from Pittwater to Pt. Stephens. If you have good breeze, that would be fine, however there are two places where it is possible to stop between Pittwater and Pt. Stephens: Free public moorings at Swansea, and also, Newcastle, where we anchor in the river. Newcastle has a good marina, as well, phone ahead for a transient berth.

We generally break the trip at Iluka/Yamba, and anchor in Iluka. Next day you can stop at Ballina, if it's calm, or push on to the Gold Coast Seaway. About the barred entries, Lucas says halfway into the flood, and this is usually when the run-out has finished. The lighter, warmer water is still flowing out, even though the colder water is flooding in underneath it: the depths increase, but the flow looks like an ebb.

If you find your boat will not happily go to weather (some cats are better than others), you may want to wait for southerly winds, and then sail on them on successive overnighters to get the job done. [Use pre-cooked main meals.] Quite often, you will find that the breeze is light in the night and early morning, and stronger offshore, this is the time to head out on the offshore tack, and then, as it strengthens, and you approach a position from which you can fetch that day's destination on the other tack, tack and head in. The problem with this plan is that it takes you out where the current is stronger. Short tacking might be better, but it does require good performance to weather.

Take some seasickness prevention stuff with you, you might need it. One of our Aussie friends swears by Kwell, but I have never tried it.

Ann
Thanks so much for the reply Ann. Sound advice and much appreciated. Despite the huge learning curve to come, we are super excited about moving onboard and being full time cruisers
Old 18-11-2016, 14:56   #21

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.

Um Ann, it wasn't me who suggested Pittwater to Port Stephens. That suggestion came from clownfish. Never having done that trip I am in no position to advise newbies about legs. My suggestion was to carry seriously effective ground tackle so that they can always hold the bottom in an emergency if close to the coast.
brianlara 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2016, 14:57   #22

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 40

In your circumstance I would not hesitate to get a professional or East Coast experienced sailor onboard.
Australis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2016, 15:20   #23

This is a downer but the East NSW coast can be dangerous for newbies.

In the late eighties a Queensland school teacher whom had read all the books purchased a yacht in Pittwater and thank the heavens flew the wife and kids back to Queensland. He departed in a strong southerly and took his last breath 1/2 an hour after passing Box head near the reef off of Maitland Bay.

Old saying with the bars, "If in doubt keep out" its safer at sea than crossing a bar in bad conditions even with on the flood.

One good thing about Cats is that they are good bar crossing boats normally even though one sunk crossing Wide bay bar 6 months ago, so not infallible.

Make the first voyage enjoyable and a good learning session with a competent Skipper, preferably one whom has crossed the bars before.

Cheers,
Peter.
peter57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2016, 15:34   #24

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlara 3 View Post
Um Ann, it wasn't me who suggested Pittwater to Port Stephens. That suggestion came from clownfish. Never having done that trip I am in no position to advise newbies about legs. My suggestion was to carry seriously effective ground tackle so that they can always hold the bottom in an emergency if close to the coast.
Oops! Apologies to Clownfish and brianlara3.

Ann
Old 18-11-2016, 15:58   #25

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.

Peter 57 said....."if in doubt keep out". Strict adherence is sometime essential for survival.
Apart from offshore reefs , and Maitland is one of the few on that trip (and I, almost more than anyone, know lots about Maitland Reef), reefs apart, entry to bars and harbours are where most of the risks lay.
I'm not sure why the Cates often anchor in open roadsteads but I often ditto off places like Palm &Bondi beaches, outside Ulladulla Harbour etc, because I been too buggered to stay awake. Usually lee shores but with very capable ground tackle a bucking bronco beats crunching sounds every time.
Even going into Broken Bay in a stiff westerly in daylight and with a rising spring tide is not for the faint hearted.
Drop the pick & wait.
brianlara 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2016, 16:03   #26

Boat: Able 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter57 View Post
This is a downer but the East NSW coast can be dangerous for newbies.

In the late eighties a Queensland school teacher whom had read all the books purchased a yacht in Pittwater and thank the heavens flew the wife and kids back to Queensland. He departed in a strong southerly and took his last breath 1/2 an hour after passing Box head near the reef off of Maitland Bay.

Old saying with the bars, "If in doubt keep out" its safer at sea than crossing a bar in bad conditions even with on the flood.

One good thing about Cats is that they are good bar crossing boats normally even though one sunk crossing Wide bay bar 6 months ago, so not infallible.

Make the first voyage enjoyable and a good learning session with a competent Skipper, preferably one whom has crossed the bars before.

Cheers,
Peter.
That's why I suggested sailing Coffs - Southport in one hop and avoid the bars altogether. Those northern ports are best left for a time when the boat and crew have sailed a few more miles together. Conditions around there can turn ugly so quickly.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2016, 16:03   #27

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Heg, I was just reading your post in another thread, and it brought up a new factor:

I hadn't understood that your new boat will have just come off the transport ship. IMO, this changes the prospects for an immediate delivery to Brisbane, for it is nearly certain that there will be teething problems when the boat is recommissioned.

I'd strongly advise that you allocate on the order of a month of getting all systems to working properly under sail before setting off northward, even with a pro skipper on board. I don't know what scheduling pressures you are under, but in your place, I'd move the boat up to the Pittwater area (only 15 miles) and go through an intensive "break in" period, living on the hook as much as possible, and sailing as much as possible. This practice will exercise many of the boats systems, and point out weak areas. Once familiar with the boat, and with the main systems going well, sail in some harsh weather... deliberately. A strong wind and some rough seas will help find any weak spots, and aid, repairs and spares are close at hand if something fails. This is not so true five miles east of Port Mac, for instance!

BTW, who will be doing the recommissioning? It's a job requiring some expertise... not just a matter of standing the rig and filling the tanks!

Jim
Old 18-11-2016, 16:12   #28

Hi Heg,
All I will add to the good advice you have from Ann and others is; patience and having time up your sleeve will make your future voyaging safer and more enjoyable.
Being prepared to sit and wait for the right weather and swell conditions etc is what successful cruising is all about.
As Ann said, a pro or someone with a racing background will be very likely to just get out there and go. You could end up crook, scared and wondering why you are there.
Take your time, enjoy, deadlines are for people who aren't cruising.
D.
Olddave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2016, 16:17   #29
Heg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Heg, I was just reading your post in another thread, and it brought up a new factor:

I hadn't understood that your new boat will have just come off the transport ship. IMO, this changes the prospects for an immediate delivery to Brisbane, for it is nearly certain that there will be teething problems when the boat is recommissioned.

I'd strongly advise that you allocate on the order of a month of getting all systems to working properly under sail before setting off northward, even with a pro skipper on board. I don't know what scheduling pressures you are under, but in your place, I'd move the boat up to the Pittwater area (only 15 miles) and go through an intensive "break in" period, living on the hook as much as possible, and sailing as much as possible. This practice will exercise many of the boats systems, and point out weak areas. Once familiar with the boat, and with the main systems going well, sail in some harsh weather... deliberately. A strong wind and some rough seas will help find any weak spots, and aid, repairs and spares are close at hand if something fails. This is not so true five miles east of Port Mac, for instance!

BTW, who will be doing the recommissioning? It's a job requiring some expertise... not just a matter of standing the rig and filling the tanks!

Jim
Hi Jim, we bought through Multihull Solutions and one of their guys will be in Sydney to step the mast. Other than that, no recommissioning has been mentioned. What is involved? The boat is new to us, but not a new boat. She is a 2014 model.
Old 18-11-2016, 16:22   #30

Boat: Traditional 30

As others have said, the Nor Easters will be starting up along much of the coast. They are strong. Much of your best passage making will probably be at night when they have eased. Also if you catch the tails of a couple of southerly busters. But thats not reliable sailing by any means

I kinda agree about the northern rivers. Especially places like Brusnswick. Just dont go there.
On the other hand, Yamba in good weather, is comparably wide and reasonably easy to navigate.
Take your time and have fun.
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brisbane, sydney, weather