Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-11-2016, 16:34   #31

Boat: 36ft classic timber sloop.
Re: Weather -Sydney to Brisbane in December?

Hi. Congratulations. I would take at least one experienced sailor. Either a professional skipper or someone that you trust and listen to (if you are skipper/owner actually). I suggest that you time your departure to suit the occasional southerlies that come through. When you catch one then stick close inshore (south set current is very strong offshore) and ride the southerly as far as you can. Then I suggest you wait for the next southerly, if you can afford a few days off (in Coffs Harbour say). Sailing with the wind as much as you can will greatly improve your enjoyment for this all important first trip. Reasonably strong NE sea breases are generally expected, especially each afternoon. A crew of 3 or 4 improves watch keeping very much. It is busy shipping waters. If in doubt, don't do any bar crossings that you don't have to. Let me know if you seek unpaid crew assistance. Best wishes and happy sailing. A
Alastair A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2016, 16:56   #32

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heg View Post
Hi Jim, we bought through Multihull Solutions and one of their guys will be in Sydney to step the mast. Other than that, no recommissioning has been mentioned. What is involved? The boat is new to us, but not a new boat. She is a 2014 model.
Well, a lot depends on how long she sat before being sold, decommissioned and shipped. Boat systems seem to degrade spontaneously when the boat is idle. There are various explanations for this, but whatever the cause, it does happen.

Things that you should consider:

Batteries may have suffered from discharge and then sitting at low charge state. This can kill them.

Fuel may have bug growth or other contaminants, and this can be stirred up in lumpy seas and cause filter plugging.

Engine water pump impellers can take a set when idle for long periods, and then fail quickly when re started.

Sails that you thought looked ok in the bag may prove to have very poor shape or defects when actually used.

Electronics may not work as you expect.

Hatches and/or ports may leak when the boat is loaded by wind forces on the rig... or all the time for that matter!

Ground tackle may prove inadequate (not exactly a commissioning issue); many boats rarely anchor in anger, and the gear isn't proven.

Auto pilot, if fitted, should probably go through its "at the dock" and underway setup procedures. It is a crucial part of a short handed cruiser's crew, and they seem to be subject to odd issues. Good to give them a careful checkout.

Check that the magnetic compass works. Some models suffer from changes between northern and southern hemispheres, as the dip angles are quite different and the card can hang up. Check it at least against a couple of transits or other known headings to assure yourself that it is approximately correct. Purists would want it to be properly swung, but I can live with rough checks myself.

Check that you have the mandatory safety gear on board, and that the EPIRB is properly registered to the vessel and the details are correctly registered with AMSA.

Ensure the presence of, and become familiar with the charts for the proposed voyage. I carry paper as well as electronic myself, but others scoff at that practice. Have a copy of Lucas's NSW cruising guide on board.

I'm sure that i've left out many things worth checking, but this list should get you started. Others may chime in with additional suggestions. Your boat, being fairly new, may be in truly top condition. Yet, it is IMO foolhardy to just jump in and go without some shakedown. Others, bolder than I, will laugh at this degree of conservatism.

BTW, we'll likely reach the Pittwater around mid December on our way south. PErhaps our wakes willl cross...

Jim
Old 18-11-2016, 17:47   #33

Boat: Hunter 44DS

Hi, I have sailed from Lake Macquarie to Morten Bay the last 2 Decembers with just me and my 16 year old son. It is very good trip. We have only owned our yacht for 3 years so I wouldn't say we are that experienced but we have sailed up and down now 5 times. First get the Alan Lucas book cruising the NSW east coast. The main thing you have to do is make sure you arrive and leave the bars on the high tides. This may mean having to put down the sails and motor straight into the afternoon NE winds if they come up.
We usually go to Newcastle and anchor up near the Stockton Bridge, then next stop is Broughton Island, Then Camden Haven, a great place for a couple of days rest, followed by Trial Bay, If you get there with a nice southerly blowing you can anchor in the bay but don't anchor there if there is a northerly blowing. If reasonably calm and only on a high tide you can go thru the Macleay Bar and anchor up the first bend. Be careful on this bar, we made the mistake of going thru after the tide had turned and had a nasty experience, but in the right conditions no worries. Next stop Coffs Harbour. We usually anchor between the Jetty and the brake wall, unless we want to stay in the Marina for a few nights, but at the moment I think it is closed still getting repaired. Next stop is Iluka-Yamba. A great place to stay at Iluka. We stayed there 3 weeks one January return trip, exploring the river up to almost Grafton. Next spot is Ballina if you have a nice calm few days, or else you can do what we have the last couple of times and leave Iluka very early in the morning and head for the Gold Coast. Then an easy trip up the passage to Morten Bay, just be careful and keep your eyes on the markers as there are some shallow spots close to the channels.
Akapeterc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2016, 18:06   #34

Boat: Hunter 44DS

Hi just read back and saw that you are getting a Lapari. My mate left with me 2 years ago in his new to him Lapari but he got struck by lightening just south of Camden Haven and had to stay in Port Macquarie for 3 months to get fixed. I have since sailed with him from Scarborough Marina up to Fraser Island on his yacht and after sailing on his boat I would say that you will have a great trip, just don't rush it take your time and wait for the good weather windows. Cheers
Akapeterc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2016, 19:01   #35
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Fountain Pajot Belize 43

Welcome Heg. Congratulations on your new FP. All good advise here as always. 2014 boat shouldn't req much to do but as yes absolutely get everything checked out especially rig sails etc. Suggest paying for a full service to engines all new filters impellers etc no matter what you've been told. Be there when its done ask lots of questions and then do your own in yhe future. Its not difficult. Youll req a full set of spare filters impellers fan belts . Don't lesve port without them. Have you done a radio course and sat the vhf license? Again not difficult but you cant get a mmsi # without it. We're in pittwater and yes great place to get to know your new boat. Best advise here is absolutely get a skipper to do the trip with you. Safer and you'll learn a great deal in a short time. Highly recommend Tim Armstrong who does a lot of MS deliveries. Great bloke with a wealth of cat experience who wont rip you off. Pm me if you want his mob. Lets know if you end up in pittwater andwell try and catch up.cheers Roy
AussieCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2016, 19:50   #36

Boat: Lightwave 38' Catamaran - now sold

There are now two public moorings at Coffs Harbour, both between the jetty and the marina. If they are taken, the anchoring south of the jetty is very good.
clownfishsydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2016, 20:32   #37

Can you wait until April/May? December is summer, you'll get fresh to strong North-easterly seabreezes most afternoons.

Waiting 'till the weather cools down a bit can pay off in southeasterlies or even westerlies.

Spend the time in between getting used to handling and sailing the boat around Sydney, or even do the short hops - Sydney - Pittwater - Lake Macquarie - Port Stephens.

Buy and read Alan Lucas' Cruising the NSW Coast.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2016, 23:33   #38

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

The only time I went north from Sydney in December was the 1998 Pittwater-Coffs Harbor race. The timing was perfect, as we started in strong southerlies which got lighter as we went north, while the Hobart racers were getting the crap kicked out of them. The wind got light near Coffs, but if you're cruising you just fire up the motors.

I will repeat the advice to take someone experienced along. A good seaman can teach you on your boat, and be there to deal with any unexpected breakdowns/weather, and won't get seasick.

Another question--do you have a decent dinghy?? All this talk of dropping the pick somewhere reminds me that you will be trapped on the boat without one.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2016, 09:15   #39

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 52.2

Hi Heg,
this time last year we bought a boat in Sydney. now she is our home. Sailed north in Autumn & spent a beaut winter in the Whitsundays. now heading south for summer. We too are basically newbies. Sydney to Broken Bay was pretty much my first ever ocean sail. Newcastle to Coffs, our first over-nighter.
So, yes you can do it, just pick your weather and don't have any time constraints. i think you can do it without needing to sail overnight, except I don't know what the condition of Coffs marina is since it got badly damaged in a storm in June. id phone them first and be prepared to give it a miss and go to Yamba......and um, when you say newbie it's relative: how much experience or other relevant skills & knowledge do you have?
Nikki S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2016, 14:29   #40

Boat: Boden 36 Triple chine long keel steel, named Nekeyah

Lots of good advice above. I strongly agree that you should take the time getting the boat settle before your trip.
In summer if we want to go north, it is often easier to leave after midnight when the NE has dropped, and just motor. You will be arriving at your destination early in the morning before the wind has picked up again.

Regards,
Richard.
boden36 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brisbane, sydney, weather