Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2010, 15:02   #1

Boat: 42 Passage CC
Send a message via Skype™ to Artful Dodger
Weather Router

Was wondering if anyone could give me weather router contacts for the North Atlantic to Europe besides Herb.
Artful Dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 15:08   #2

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
If you have ham radio, the catalogue function on Win Link 2000 has good weather information for just about anywhere you would want to sail. We pulled our weather down from them, and were extremely happy with the amount of information available. When we couple that with the weather from the cruising nets, we always feel that there is plenty of good information to make rational decision regarding plans and contingency plans on an offshore sail.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 15:20   #3

Boat: 42 Passage CC
Send a message via Skype™ to Artful Dodger
We have SSB with pactor 3 license, and right now are docked at VE1YZ dock here in St Margaret's Bay Nova Scotia. We have learned a lot and know more of the things we can get from the Winlink system, but being our first crossing would like to have some one with a lot more experience to guid us on our first trip, we are aware of Herb and talked with him by email, but would still like another source, my understanding there is some one in the Carribbean, just trying to be more cautious on this first trip. We have just sailed from St John's Newfoundland and that was a real experience.
Artful Dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 15:56   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
How about someone UK side? I think Simon will prepare personal forecasts for you. I don't know what his forecasting is like for the N Atlantic, but his UK Forecast is fare more accurate than the Met Office.

Weatherweb.TV

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 15:59   #5

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
We used Herb exclusively for over a decade and were very happy with his service. Chris Parker covers the Caribbean, not sure about as far north as you will be. You really need someone that understands the weather patterns for the north Atlantic. Chris Parker is a pay service.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 16:26   #6

Boat: 32ft Golden Shamrock, Ron Holland Design heavenly modified. Bavaria 40ft
Send a message via Skype™ to emircedes
i tend to use a fair bit a site- passageweather.com - when doing a delivery to France or so...
You just select your area and you get all the details you need: Wind , Surface Pressure, Visibility, Cloud Cover and Precipitation, Wave Height and more. Its quite accurate, FREE and you can download the forecast aswell,
Old 11-07-2010, 18:00   #7

Boat: 58 Taswell AS
Use MaxSea, recieve gribs by sat phone or SSB.
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 02:11   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by emircedes View Post
i tend to use a fair bit a site- passageweather.com - when doing a delivery to France or so...
You just select your area and you get all the details you need: Wind , Surface Pressure, Visibility, Cloud Cover and Precipitation, Wave Height and more. Its quite accurate, FREE and you can download the forecast aswell,
Like that, nice pictures to see what is happening now saved to my favourites.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 02:21   #9

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
We too use passage weather which we've found to be easier than pactor / ssb receipted grib files. The other good one when in the Med is the http://poseidon.hcmr.gr/weather_fore...hp?area_id=eur.

If you want to virtually guarantee your ideal conditions for an Ocean crossing you might want to consider a professional one-on-one service.

We used one in the 2007 ARC and told them our ideal weather needs, ie 20 knots at 160 degrees to our heading. Fir us it worked. The router updated us each 48 hours by email on exactly where we should be going and the end result was a long zig zag course which meant we covered quite a few added miles than most others. But we did cross in 16 days and 30 minutes and missed all the bad weather.

Shorthanded it suited us.

Cheers
JOHN
Old 12-07-2010, 03:57   #10
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
options

Can't help with weather router but if using weatherfax you will probably start using hamburg and northwood as you get further across. If you want to get used to the layout then hamburg is online here..
Wetter und Klima - Deutscher Wetterdienst -- Seewetter

and northwood uses the same charts as uk met office here..
Met Office: Surface pressure forecast

Schedules can are here.. www.nws.noaa.gov/om/marine/rfax.pdf
I use jvcomm with ssb reciever into laptop mic input, works well.
I just came up to Azores from Antigua solo, had sat phone for occasional gribs and weatherfax via ssb receiver. Think if I had to choose between gribs and weatherfax I´d go for the fax, I find it gives a better "big picture" of what´s going on, gribs I would only download a small area which was usually quite accurate but didn´t give much of a feel of what was coming up.
As for router, I´ve never used one so can´t really comment.
Have a good passage.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 10:25   #11
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
You might want to look into Commanders Weather.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:55   #12

Boat: 32ft Golden Shamrock, Ron Holland Design heavenly modified. Bavaria 40ft
Send a message via Skype™ to emircedes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Like that, nice pictures to see what is happening now saved to my favourites.

Pete
glad you like. its very accurate as well
Old 12-07-2010, 14:18   #13

Boat: Catalina 470
Weather Routers, Weather Consultants / Advisors, and Weather Forecasters...

Artful Dodger,
I understand your question.....and I'll answer it first, and then give you some experienced advice....

1) Hud's answer is what you're looking for.....Commander's Weather...
Commanders' Weather

I've never used them, nor any weather routing service (except for Herb, of course), but I do hear good things about them.....

2) These statements here are very telling....I may be wrong, but.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artful Dodger View Post
We have SSB with pactor 3 license...
....We have learned a lot and know more of the things we can get from the Winlink system,
I do hope that you understand the "Gold Standard" in offshore marine weather (US NWS/NOAA Ocean Prediction Center forecasters) is broadcast for FREE, and no PACTOR modem (nor Winlink / Sailmail account) is required to receive it????

Yes, you can get these WeFax charts using your PACTOR modem, via saildocs as well, but they are broadcast by USCG's 4000 watt transmitters in Boston, New Orleans, etc. and no PACTOR modem is required at all.....

(The UK's Met Office also broadcasts WeFax charts, from Norwood, England.....which will cover the far North Atlantic, Eastern Atlantic, Northe Sea, the Med, etc....)

The reason I mention this is because many of the sources cruisers / voyagers access for weather info / forecasts (such as GRIB's and "passage weather", etc.) are computer-model generated, NOT human forecaster generated......
And, since you seemed to be asking for a "human being" weather router, I thought I should point out that using the NWS/NOAA WeFax charts, is the BEST human weather forecasting you're ever going to find!!!!
(Although, Herb still has a nack for making very accurate small-scale forecasts that are a real joy to listen to and use....)

So, if you combine NWS/NOAA WeFax charts, NWS/NOAA Offshore and Hi-Seas Voice weather forecasts, (and the UK's WeFax charts if needed) and Herb's uncanny small-scale forecasts, you've got a LOT of human weather interputation and forecasting, right there, for FREE!!!!

Quote:
but being our first crossing would like to have some one with a lot more experience to guid us on our first trip, we are aware of Herb and talked with him by email, but would still like another source.
3) I believe the US NWS/NOAA Ocean Prediction Center (and Tropical Prediction Center), and the UK Met Office, and Herb....all combine to provide you with the best offshore marine weather data/forecast possible in the entire world....
If you want "more", there really isn't "more".....there is just "different"....
And, that "different" is what others have mentioned.....the best "different" for your voyage is going to be Commader's Weather, as Hud mentioned....

Quote:
my understanding there is some one in the Carribbean, just trying to be more cautious on this first trip.
4) Chris Parker's Caribbean Weather, a $250/yr annual service is for the Caribbean, Bahamas, Gulf of Mexico, etc. (and some US East coast passage weather).....
CARIBWX The Caribbean Weather Site

Quote:
We have just sailed from St John's Newfoundland and that was a real experience.
5) I've seen the Lows passing off the continent....and read the offshore forecasts of late.....(and listened to some folks still out there)....and I understand the weather that you've had....{and some people still think Hurricanes are all you need to worry about in the summertime Atlantic }

The GOOD news is after these current fronts move (???) and the lows move off fast and dissapate (soon???), there's likely to be fairly good weather the rest of the month / summer, for a decent passage across, along a northerly route.....

6) Have a look at two recent threads here, and you'll get some more info....
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ium-43509.html
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...y-43466-2.html

Good luck and Fair winds!!!

John
s/v Annie Laurie
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 17:13   #14
Eternal Member

Boat: Vancouver 36 cutter????
Send a message via Skype™ to capt_douglas
It's hard to beat Herb's prices but you can try:

Commanders Weather
Weather Routing International

Both cover the world but will cost you about $50/day for the weather routing. They're the pro's and have a good rep with the big white boats.
Old 12-07-2010, 19:19   #15

Boat: Long range motor cruiser
Quote:
Was wondering if anyone could give me weather router contacts for the North Atlantic to Europe besides Herb.
Bob Jones does a very good job and is quite reasonable in his charges.

Home: Ocean Marine Nav Welcome to the Ocean...

P.
The message is the journey, we are sure the answer lies in the destination. But in reality, there is no station, no place to arrive at once and for all. The joy of life is the trip, and the station is a dream that constantly out distances us”. Robert Hastings, The Station
fishwife is offline   Reply With Quote