Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-10-2015, 07:13   #31

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 48
Re: Water maker or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
A Dune stillsuit would be even better.

Fine if you are Freman or Paul Atradies
paulajayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2015, 07:16   #32

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Oh...sorry. I will be sailing from Florida north east coast to Bahamas and Caribbean then back. I plan to do this during the chilly north Florida winters.

Typically there will be two of us. But on a rare occasion there could be 4 for a week or so as friends/family want to visit.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Help me by defining the Caribbean and how long are you going to be out? Boat size is also kinda important - how much water capacity do you have?

As Mark said the Bahamas are a bit water short but we managed 2 winters there without a watermaker.

Depending on how you define the Caribbean we know lots of folks who do not have watermakers. and are doing fine.
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2015, 07:17   #33

pirate Re: Water maker or not?

If you do get one, get at least a 5 gph, or larger as you can run your engine a shorter time. = SV Raggedy Ann
boater 86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2015, 07:24   #34

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldlmeyer View Post
If you do get one, get at least a 5 gph, or larger as you can run your engine a shorter time. = SV Raggedy Ann

Or size appropriate to the amount of solar capacity you have. We don't run the engine to generate power except in very rare instances, nor do we have a shore power battery charger onboard.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2015, 07:32   #35

Boat: 1996 49' Krogen Express

We have a Spectra but it is primarily useless to us here on the Gulf coast cruising from our home base, Dauphin Island, AL over to Carrabelle due to the silt and other stuff in the water. The pre-filters clog up quickly. Once we were on our way South in the Gulf and all through out the lower west coast of Florida down to Key West, it worked extremely well. If cruising as you stated above, the water maker should work fine but if going elsewhere coast wise such as the Chesapeake Bay, it just won't get it done without a massive supply of pre-filters.
kelbylinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2015, 08:17   #36

Boat: Knysna 480

If you have the room and can afford it....GET a water maker. It just makes life onboard that much better. I watch other cruisers hauling Gerry cans full of water from shore to their boat in their dinghies.....it just doesn't look like fun. Whenever my engines or generator are running, I top off my water tank. Everyone is happier.
Sailingveterinarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2015, 08:34   #37

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

I guess I am in that minority that finds salt water showers or swims are not a bad thing. If you dry yourself after that swim or shower you will not have significant salt on your skin. I have never felt a need to sponge off with fresh water. As for the towels, my experience is that a good shaking gets rid of the dried salt. At least I have never noted any gritty residue on my towels. Water makers are cool to have but are bulky, big power consumers and expensive. They are necessary on on really long cruises but for drinking not showers. Am I wrong in thinking this is more a power boater thing?
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2015, 08:52   #38

For long term cruising a watermaker is a god send. Otherwise you spend a lot of time ferrying water. (unless cruising in populated areas).
It pays to have a hand held shower nozzle in the cockpit or stern of the boat. You take a dip, wash your hair, then just a quick freshwater rinse using very little water in the cockpit.
If you don't fresh rinse you will feel clammy, damp and crusty....and your towels will never really dry well either. IME.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2015, 08:54   #39

Boat: Bristol 47.7

With built-in back flushing & pickling, my understanding is that the routine maintenance & expense has improved. But one consideration may be lengthy lay-ups where the boat or the watermaker may not be used for months or more. For example, does the pickling of the expensive high-pressure membrane last indefinitely, or does it have a limited lifespan?
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2015, 09:04   #40

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
For example, does the pickling of the expensive high-pressure membrane last indefinitely, or does it have a limited lifespan?
About 6 months, although this could probably realistically be stretched to 9-12 under ideal conditions.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2015, 09:05   #41

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave22q View Post
Am I wrong in thinking this is more a power boater thing?
Yes. In fact, few power boaters we know have water makers because they either have gigantic tanks, or spend a lot of time in marinas.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2015, 09:08   #42

Boat: Knysna 480

I swim every day. Use my deck shower just to rinse off quickly....and keep the salt and sand out of the boat
Sailingveterinarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2015, 09:10   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Stephan definitely makes some of the best sourdough bread around, but I don't see the connection with water makers in that link.

Mark
Use the search engine to find the watermaker story. They've been writing this fine blog for years as they essentially rebuilt their boat.

Like this:

http://sundownersailsagain.com/?s=watermaker&search=Go
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2015, 09:25   #44
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
With built-in back flushing & pickling, my understanding is that the routine maintenance & expense has improved. But one consideration may be lengthy lay-ups where the boat or the watermaker may not be used for months or more. For example, does the pickling of the expensive high-pressure membrane last indefinitely, or does it have a limited lifespan?

Good questions. Things have changed over the past ten years in the watermaker world. Pickling a watermaker is very easy, usually just two hoses, a five gallon bucket, turn a valve or two, and start the system. Takes about thirty minutes, twenty of which you'll be sitting and waiting. Though all watermakers use some form of powdered solution to pickle them I have been preaching the use of propylene glycol to pickle a watermaker. Not so long ago the main concern was protecting the membranes. But the reality is now that the membrane/s are the much lesser expensive side of the watermaker. Though the powdered pickling solutions will preserve the membrane they do little to protect the rest of the system and this is more of a concern. Even Pumps, manifolds, pressure intensifiers, and rebuilding or repurchasing these systems due to dried out O-rings and frozen parts are a lot more expensive than a membrane. Propylene glycol does a far better job of protecting the whole system than does the current powdered solutions. My recommendation is to change out the propylene glycol once a year. I have recommissioned many watermakers that have sat pickled in PG for over 3-5 years and they have worked perfectly, but they are the exceptions not always the rule, so once a year if the system is to sit that long is a good rule for PG.

Halden Marine Services | Marine Watermakers, Solar Panels, Wind Generators

Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2015, 09:42   #45

Boat: Kadey Krogen '42

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
That is kinda what I need to know. I have stayed on my current boat several times at 7 - 10 days at a time but on fresh water lakes. It was easy to stay clean. So it is the same in salt water it sounds like...good.

Is it the same for clothing. Just rinse in the salt water?

Sent from my SM-G360V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

1. Totally agree with salt water baths. In warm climates I do it and never rinse with fresh.

2. As for WM, I kate the Katadyn 160.
Yes on WM IF you are in good clean salt water most of the time
No if you are coastal cruising most of the time
Dauntlessny is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water