Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-01-2020, 11:17   #31

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23
Re: Want Mattress advice please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foufou View Post
What Slug said; reduce moisture under mattress to prevent mold. I use Froli springs, a plastic spring system made in Germany that creates an air space below the mattress letting moisture we produce evaporate. added advantage is extra comfort. Sleep well
I've heard people say that istead of replacing the foam, add the Froli... Can you attest to that?
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2020, 09:17   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Please define “normal mattress” as well as “old-style mattress”. Would both be the same and some sort of polyurethane foam?
Not foam. The type of inner-spring mattress that you often find in homes (much less common on boats).
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2020, 07:13   #33
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various

One choice is a cheap polyfoam, comes compressed in a package you can carry "home" on a scooter. Advantage: 6 inches thick, cheap, weighs almost nothing so you can flip it often to aerate and change wear pattern. For extra comfort add a topper from the My PIllow people.
Old 31-01-2020, 07:22   #34

Wow!
When I first read this without my glasses I thought you said you wanted Mistress advice. Wasn’t sure if this forum ever went in that direction!
BarnacleBuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2020, 09:08   #35

Try Mattressinsider.com

I had them custom make really nice mattresses for my new boat about 5 years ago. Very helpful and reasonably priced. You just send them a template of your bunk and they take it from there.
Jweyndling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2020, 09:17   #36

Boat: Cape George 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoleo View Post
Just trashed original mattress Need advice on all the memory foam types ,maybe an air. Short queen and twin sizes. 6 inch thick. Thanks
Based in San Diego, I went with these guys: https://mattressmakers.com

Family run business, custom mattresses for all kinds of uses and they will come to the boat, do templates, wander off and come back with custom mattresses to your specifications.

My boat mattress is way better than my home bed. Little pricey in retrospect but they get boats. Built in a foldable joint so I can flip one half onto the other and get into lockers below, bottom skin is tougher breathable material that can handle abrasion from sliding around.

I LOVE my mattress from them.
AuroraGH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2020, 09:56   #37

Boat: Dufour

Small tip for condensation issues get some dog training mats lay on base before fitting matress change weekly or hang out to air solves issue and cheap
shauncagiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2020, 10:01   #38

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

Quote:
Originally Posted by shauncagiva View Post
Small tip for condensation issues get some dog training mats lay on base before fitting matress change weekly or hang out to air solves issue and cheap
Dog training mats will eventually saturate, and in any case, retain moisture against the mattress. Bad idea, IMHO.

OTOH, Kroil, Hypervent and one I'm not remembering at the moment, and even industrial interlocking mats have been discussed here; they all breath and would be superior to puppy mats, which aren't robust physically - and, at least on OUR boat, removing the mattresses (needed to swap in new ones) is a major exercise (8" tempur-pedic clones)...
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2020, 11:06   #39

Boat: O'Day 40

We have been on Foam mattresses for about 20 years now.
The best that we have found is a 6 inch latex base with a 3 inch memory foam topper. It does seem to matter where they are purchased as the foam in generic. And, yes they are warmer than the old style coil spring mattress but in our view it is worth it for a great sleep.
Kylahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2020, 11:40   #40

Boat: Beneteau Sense 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
I've heard people say that istead of replacing the foam, add the Froli... Can you attest to that?
I used the Froli on our first boat underneath 4 inch foam. It decreased the discomfort from torture to bearable. I would not consider the system to be an alternative to a good mattress
jspla1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2020, 13:17   #41

Boat: Corbin 39

Latex sleeps cooler then anything elts. Doesn't grow mildew. Foam factory is the place.
toddedger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2020, 16:17   #42

Boat: Down East Yachts, Downeaster 38

We tried doing the home-cut memory foam mattress topper a few years ago, didn't work well for us. The issue wasn't the heat, although on some warm nights it did get a bit annoying. The bigger problem was that I sank so far in to the foam that I had to pull myself up out of the 'hole' to roll over. Definitely didn't rest all that well. A more firm foam would have definitely worked better, but it's hard to tell until you try it out for a while.

After that cruise, we decided to completely replace the V-berth bedding. We went to a boat show (Newport, RI in this case) so we could feel and lay on the different mattress types that were on offer. We ended up getting a foam mattress (but not memory foam) from these guys: https://www.boatbeds.com/ and they did a great job. A guy came out an measured the V-berth, they worked on it over the winter and we got the new mattress in the spring.

The price was a bit expensive, but not crazy compared to the price of a new similar quality mattress from a retail shop (although those are certainly overpriced as well). Also considering that there was certainly extra effort with the custom fitting, cutting and re-upholstering, we were pretty happy with the value. The mattress they delivered is really great quality, and very comfortable. Better than our home mattress. Moving aboard in May and definitely looking forward to sleeping at anchor.
Downeaster 38 #40
"Downeast Yachts - More sailing per mile since 1975"
Argyle38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2020, 17:55   #43

Boat: Florida Coaster 42’

We live aboard 300 days per year and place sleep comfort at the top of our list. Most boat bunks are designed for platform style beds, not deep spring mattresses on box springs. Most quality coil mattress manufacturers do not warrant their products when not on box springs.

What is left are foam mattresses designed for platform support. We use a Leesa Mattress queen size, in both cabins and there are several to choose from, with an extensive money back trial period, although they are standard sizes.

Easily added is an under the mattress grid to deal with condensation.
timb7734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2022, 03:27   #44

We are between Saatva HD moment and Idle Hybrid Mattress. Found both in the article "Best mattresses for heavy people" on the Mattressive website. Any ideas which one is better? Pros and cons?
IslaMujeres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2022, 03:52   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Not foam. The type of inner-spring mattress that you often find in homes (much less common on boats).
Here a link to a good inner-spring boat mattress (not cheap though..):

- (US) https://www.fleximanorthamerica.com/
- (Europe) https://www.fleximanautic.com/en/
250224 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lease