Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2021, 19:55   #1

Langkawi Here I come!

Hi All,

Looking to travel over to Langkawi in the New Year. Plan is to find my boat. I have an eye on one, she will be my "Target" (Rebak), but also want to have a look around, given that not all available yachts are listed with brokers. Would love to have a contact there to "Scout" for me and also I will need a good Surveyor, Rigger and possibly a sparky.

Any recommendations will be valued. Only have a few weeks but if I find my girl I will prep as much as possible, return to Oz (WA) to cut ties and then back to start my adventure.

Surprised to find hardstand is more expensive than a pen. Will need a hardstand for a month or so and then a wet pen to do the final touches. Again, any recommendations will be very much valued.

Hope to be out there soon.

Keith
Cavalier 32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 20:05   #2

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig
Re: Langkawi Here I come!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier 32 View Post
Hi All,

Looking to travel over to Langkawi in the New Year. Plan is to find my boat. I have an eye on one, she will be my "Target" (Rebak), but also want to have a look around, given that not all available yachts are listed with brokers. Would love to have a contact there to "Scout" for me and also I will need a good Surveyor, Rigger and possibly a sparky.

Any recommendations will be valued. Only have a few weeks but if I find my girl I will prep as much as possible, return to Oz (WA) to cut ties and then back to start my adventure.
Good luck, Keith.

Be advised that Malaysia has just placed Australia on the list of plague countries, because of what it judges to be a high risk infection in the plague states on the E coast of Aus. Malaysia does not discriminate between West Aus and the rest.
Old 07-12-2021, 20:43   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Mighty View Post
Be advised that Malaysia has just placed Australia on the list of plague countries, because of what it judges to be a high risk infection in the plague states on the E coast of Aus. Malaysia does not discriminate between West Aus and the rest.
The consequences of the Omicron outbreak in the plague state of NSW has affected the so-called Langkawi Travel Bubble, according to the recent announcement from Malaysian Ministry of Health:

"In light of the global transmission of the Omicron variant (B.1.1.259) several new control, prevention and protocol measures have been updated effectively December 8, 2021. The new protocol will be applied towards:

📌 Malaysian travellers and long term pass holders arriving from temporarily restricted countries

📌 Travellers from countries who have reported spread of Omicron variant

📌 Langkawi Travel Bubble

📌 Malaysia-Singapore VTL-Air and VTL-Land

📌 Short term business travellers (STBT) who enter Malaysia through the OSC platform provided by MIDA

MOH will continue to monitor the development of the new variant and amend any measures from time to time."
Old 08-12-2021, 02:49   #4

Whether Aus. with its Omicron infected plague states on the E coast, is excluded from the Langkawi Travel Bubble is not 100% clear (at least not to me).
Old 08-12-2021, 02:58   #5

Attached is the new case briefing for 8 December 2021 for the state of Kedah, Malaysia.

You'll see that the whole state had 404 new cases [kes baru] and has 4,962 active cases [kes aktif].

You'll see the island of Langkawi represented both in the map and in a table (the table is divided into the cadastral parishes [mukim] with each parish given a red dot to indicate new cases today and the number of active cases in that parish. On the map you'll note that what seems to represent Pulau Rebak Besar [Great Rebak Island] is shown green, suggesting no new cases in the past 14 days.
Old 08-12-2021, 03:56   #6

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"

It's been a while since I've been there, but the best hardstand would be at Rebak. Paved with tile, chandlery, restaurant and even a pool (It is part of a fancy resort). The monkeys can be a nuisance so you have to keep an eye on tools and parts. Most of the boats for sale will be either at Rebak or the Yacht Club. Maybe some at Telaga or anchored off of Kuah. Rebak is very close to the airport and Lankawi is duty free.

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 04:51   #7

Hello Keith,
I was looking at a vessel myself, at Rebak marine, in November 2019. Spoke to several people who highly recommended John Champion as a surveyor. His details are readily available online.
Another surveyor I met is Michele Pippin, probably not as experienced as John. She, however, would be an excellent person to be able to scout out a possible boat for you.

Michele M Pippen
Dip.MarSur (Lloyds)
AssocRINA

michele.pippen@me.com

Australia: +61 421 394 999
Malaysia: +60 174 655 019
Hope this helps.

omuramba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 14:37   #8

Boat: Lightwave 38

Langkawi is a good start but if you have some time to check online with Pangkor Marina in Lumut, Malaysia. Talk to James Khoo. Pangkor has some good vessels up for grabs.
Just a thought, more options.
ClarkeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 15:10   #9

Boat: Planet, Earth LOA∞

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Mighty View Post
Good luck, Keith.

I believe Langkawi has different rules than Malaysia as of 9th of Dec.
fcftampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 15:28   #10

Boat: Dix 43 HD

My boat is in Rebak and I am hanging out for Covid rules to change so I can get back there - the boat care crew below have been super helpful and have a range of contacts that will be useful

Good luck - Wayne

~ Emma ~

Rebak Island Marina,
Rebak Island Langkawi,
07000 Kedah. MALAYSIA

Direct Line: +604 966 4067
Email: boatcare@yachtsupplymalaysia.net
Grattaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 18:32   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcftampa View Post
I believe Langkawi has different rules than Malaysia as of 9th of Dec.
Yair. That's the Langkawi Travel Bubble referenced in post #4.
Old 14-03-2022, 16:39   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereed100 View Post
It's been a while since I've been there, but the best hardstand would be at Rebak. Paved with tile, chandlery, restaurant and even a pool (It is part of a fancy resort). The monkeys can be a nuisance so you have to keep an eye on tools and parts. Most of the boats for sale will be either at Rebak or the Yacht Club. Maybe some at Telaga or anchored off of Kuah. Rebak is very close to the airport and Lankawi is duty free.
G'day Mike. I'm a newbie in this forum with the intent that I sail from Sydney to Langkawi or the other way around. I've heard that the choice of boats in Langkawi to be more (and possibly more cost effective) compared to what we get here in Australia. I also heard that it boat upgrades and repairs are more cost effective in Malaysia. Just wondering what your thoughts are on this? I've yet to work out if I get taxed if I bring a boat puchased in Langkawi back into malaysia as it's apparently tax free there?
Dave Smithers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2022, 20:45   #13

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hello, Dave, welcome aboard CF.

Unless it is already under Australian registry, you will have to import the boat into Australia, with the attendant import fees due basically on arrival.

Would not want, myself, to leave boat unattended while work is supposed to be ongoing. It usually works best when you work alongside with them.

Ann
Old 15-03-2022, 00:42   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Dave.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2022, 11:45   #15

Ann

Thanks for that. Yes, totally sensible to work alongside the local contractors just to ensure that things get done the way I want them to be done.

Would you know if the you’re allowed to work on the boat while it’s pulled out of the water? The intent is to use a contractor for some of the scope while I work on others on my own?

Rgs
Dave Smithers is offline   Reply With Quote