Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2018, 09:39   #1

Vero Beach to West Palm

Hello Everyone!

I'm new to the sailing community with limited sailing experience. I recently acquired a small sailboat and I'm planning to move it from Vero Beach to West Palm.
I was thinking of taking the trip using the ICW but I could some advise.

The boat is 25' with a working 8 HP engine and sails, however, the lights are not 100% so I do not think night time traveling would be possible.

If I were to start the trip early in the Morning where do you guys recommend me to do the first stop and continue the next day?
Also where in West Palm/Lake Worth would any of you recommend anchoring for a few days.
I'd prefer free anchoring or mooring given that my schedule is unpredictable and I wouldn't be sure if I can go back to the vessel within 24 hours.

Please feel free to PM or reply. I'm super excited given this is my first sailboat ! (No name for her yet)
psagion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2018, 09:56   #2

Re: Vero Beach to West Palm

I've made that trip a couple of times. We usually stop at Fort Pierce for the night, then hop outside to West Palm, although you could take the ICW. Anchored in North Lake Worth, a little less busy than the WPB area.
sailingunity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2018, 10:01   #3

there is about 40 nm from Ft Pierce to North Palm Beach, would I have enough daylight to make it if stay in the intercostal?
Also, how doe mooring in N Palm Beach Works?
Old 24-10-2018, 10:17   #4

Ah good point, I was making these trips during the spring / early summer, days would have been longer. Some of the bridges have close timing in that area, as I recall. Depending on tides that might help or hurt you to make good time. I think Jupiter is in between Ft Pierce and WPB, could anchor there for the night?
sailingunity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2018, 10:36   #5

Boat: Seafarer36c

I think you could if you can do 5-6 knots. I plan 50 ICW miles per day on the ICW at that speed. I could do Vero Beach to Lake Worth in a day, easy.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2018, 10:52   #6

We have made this trio a few times. Anchorages are avail in Ft Pierce, Hobe Sound and Palm Beach. Depends on the weather hard how hard you want to push yourself as to how long it takes. We did it for fun and quit for the day when we found an interesting spot. Check out Waterways Guide (on line or print version) for suitable protected spots. Dont remember exactly, but it seems that Ft P is 2+ hrs from Vero and Hobe sound is another 3, with West palm another 2+ after that-depending on bridges. THe anchorage in N palm beach is very nice. Bob
roberttigar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2018, 12:51   #7

I'm looking up the maps and I think I can make it to Jupiter with daylight left. Going to take q couple of road trips to figure out anchoring sites in the area. Thank you for the input guys. I got a little hope back. If you have any coordinates for ok spots to anchor please let me know.

Thank you!

Pablo
Old 24-10-2018, 13:25   #8

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by psagion View Post
I'm looking up the maps and I think I can make it to Jupiter with daylight left. Going to take q couple of road trips to figure out anchoring sites in the area. Thank you for the input guys. I got a little hope back. If you have any coordinates for ok spots to anchor please let me know.

Thank you!

Pablo
You can make it to WPB in 2 easy days unless there's a strong headwind. On the first evening anchor at about mile 1000 in Hobe Sound, about 5 miles south of the Hobe Sound Bridge. Just to the west of the channel there's a good basin with lots of room. I much prefer this anchorage to Peck Lake which can get crowded. On the second day you'll make WPB. There are quite a few good anchorages there. This stretch may take a bit longer as I do not think that you can catch the bridges (about seven or eight of them)at your speed.

I have made it from Vero to the north anchorage in WPB in one jump which included a grounding in Peck Lake and got there just as it got dark so you should make it easily in two days.
Old 24-10-2018, 14:46   #9

I have anchored in the hobe sound 4 or 5 times. Usually I am the only one there. It is a little narrow but in a 25 you probably have shallow enough draft to pull out of icw a ways. Just get as far west as you can stand and it is a good anchorage. Will make the trip an easy 2 days.
drakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2018, 17:07   #10

You guys mentioned up winds. Does that mean I can actually open the sails rather than motor all the time?
Old 24-10-2018, 17:18   #11

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by psagion View Post
You guys mentioned up winds. Does that mean I can actually open the sails rather than motor all the time?
If it's blowing from the north you can easily sail from Vero to the Crossroads (St. Lucie Inlet). After that it's narrow, with lots of turns and trees blocking the wind.
Old 25-10-2018, 09:53   #12

Location: Boynton Beach, Florida. Cruising Bahamas through Spring 2024
Boat: Manta 40

Easy 2 day trip and possible to do in 1 day. Once you get to WPB, you'll find lots of space to anchor North of Peanut Island. You can also find anchorage, although usually crowded both N and S of Blue Heron Bridge.

You should check out activecaptain.com and waterwayguide.com and look at all the possible anchorages along the way with the comments. Lots of possibilities. Also, get a copy of the Southern Waterway Guide. It will be very helpful in transiting down in addition to your chartplotter.

Ensure you have a working VHF radio. You'll need it to call the bridges.

Jason
Breathe
Manta 40
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2018, 10:18   #13

Boat: C&C 42 Landfall

All good info from fellows here. Eight years ago I myself spent two months on the hook between peanut island and Riviera beach marina. Nice place. Tkkii bar was great but I haven't tried the newly built area... manetees will great you each morning on their way to the hydro electric plant next to the Carnival cruising dock where they search for warm waters.
Enjoyed that.
yobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2018, 10:23   #14

Boat: Ted Brewer, Bulldog 30' built in aluminum

A couple of details I would consider that might take some stress out of the trip (which will be fun and educational): take a membership in BoatUS or some sort of tow boat service just in case you do run amuck; also, along those lines, a depth sounder is really handy (not essential for your draft probably); assume you have an adequate anchor.
kmcshane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2018, 11:49   #15

Boat: freedom 32

Haven't anchored there yet, but many people really like Pecks Lake (near Hobe Sound). I agree that Depth and Tow Boat Insurance are a good idea, as the ICW can get very narrow. The bridges aren't too bad Vero to North Palm Beach, but you will need a radio.
neko freedom 32 is offline   Reply With Quote