Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-10-2018, 12:34   #16

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Re: Vero Beach to West Palm

Quote:
Originally Posted by yobird View Post
All good info from fellows here. Eight years ago I myself spent two months on the hook between peanut island and Riviera beach marina. Nice place. Tkkii bar was great but I haven't tried the newly built area... manetees will great you each morning on their way to the hydro electric plant next to the Carnival cruising dock where they search for warm waters.
Enjoyed that.
Sad to say that great Tiki Bar is gone. Two years now. Always used to go there for a bucket of beer and burgers after clearing in. The new area has a sterile restaurant, nothing like the old Tiki Bar.
Old 25-10-2018, 13:09   #17
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

First boat, lights not working, and only an 8hp motor. I'd stick to the ICW and find out what else may not be working on your new to you boat before I'd recommend an offshore trip. A North wind is not the wind you want while sailing off shore in this area.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2018, 13:29   #18
Marine Service Provider

Lot's of good anchorages on that trip. Just bring a battery operated anchor light if you aren't sure of the boats electric.

south of vero is hobe sound, manatee pocket, peck lake. You can do it easily even if it takes a few days, if your lazy or have crappy weather.
svJasmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2018, 14:15   #19

Wow, that's lot of info. I have been studying active captain and the waterway guide, and I' have a pretty good idea the route to take. Def will stay in the ICW, and it def will be a two-day trip.
Don't have a physical chart plotter, but will be using an app based on with Ipad and handheld.
As far as depth sounder that's coming but my draft is only 3' so there shouldn't be too many headaches on the regards.

Keep the info coming guys.

Tomorrow I'll be spending a few hours getting the boat ready and checking electronics.
Lights at the moment are 90% just need to replace the bulb on the mast light and put the plastic cover on portlights.
psagion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2018, 14:31   #20
cdy

at Lake Worth area - anchor by Peanut Island - take your snorkel gear - just on the south side of the bridge there is a snorkle/dive trail - 5 -12 feet of water or so - its well done and lots of people use it - best at high tide on a calm day though - with good sun
cdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2018, 14:33   #21

Boat: Yawl,One of a Kind, 39 feet, Mare Nostrum
Send a message via Skype™ to Mare Nostrum

Hello Pesagion!!
Many felicitations on your new vessel and entering the Nautical World!! I wish you many fair skies and breezes!!
The first voyage is always very, very special!!

All the Best!!
s/v Mare Nostrum
Mare Nostrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2018, 14:44   #22

Boat: Yawl,One of a Kind, 39 feet, Mare Nostrum
Send a message via Skype™ to Mare Nostrum

Psagion, I DO recommend that you put the lights in order...I would think even MORE important in the ICW...Enjoy!!!
Mare Nostrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2018, 20:40   #23

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmcshane View Post
also, along those lines, a depth sounder is really handy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko freedom 32 View Post
The bridges aren't too bad Vero to North Palm Beach, but you will need a radio.
Yes, I agree. I was wondering about other instruments and their condition when you indicated your running lights are not reliable. BTW why not repair the running lights? Pretty straight forward - likely a wire connection or the light bulb contacts. Disconnect, clean with emery paper, coat with dielectric grease, and reconnect.
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2018, 09:13   #24

Boat: Catalina 470

psagion,
You asked for more info...well here you go...
Quote:
Originally Posted by psagion View Post
Keep the info coming guys.

Tomorrow I'll be spending a few hours getting the boat ready and checking electronics.
Lights at the moment are 90% just need to replace the bulb on the mast light and put the plastic cover on portlights.

BTW, I'm going go out on a bit of limb here and actually recommend that you DO consider going "outside" for at least part of your trip...
While Tellie and I usually agree, I'm going to slightly disagree here, because of the weather forecast AND because you seem pretty smart!! (you're asking for advice from those more experienced and heeding it well...that's a show of intelligence and common sense!)
So...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
First boat, lights not working, and only an 8hp motor. I'd stick to the ICW and find out what else may not be working on your new to you boat before I'd recommend an offshore trip. A North wind is not the wind you want while sailing off shore in this area.
I know, I know....you're new to sailing and the boat is new to you...
BUT...

But, as long as you do a few things, and make your decisions with caution, (and the weather holds) I'm going to cautiously recommend something contrary....and I'm going to give you my reasons...

1) First off, no matter if thru ICW or outside / hugging the coast (2 to 3 miles out max....and I recommend only 1.5 miles out)....you must have a good working VHF radio...
On a 25' boat, w/ 8-hp outboard...I'd assume you have a fixed-mount 25-watt VHF radio....but, even if just a new handheld VHF (make sure it has a FULL charge before leaving), this will work...
{actually having both is a good idea}

2) If you're in Vero, you will be coming south about 10 miles, via the ICW to Ft. Pierce (and Ft. Pierce Inlet, as you'd not go north 12-13 miles to Sebastian Inlet??)....

My recommendation:
Leave early Sat morning from Vero....use these first couple hours getting used to the boat, and sails....

See how she feels to you....and understand that with this weekend's weather, the west winds you'll have in the ICW (north of Stuart / Ft. Pierce), will be similar as that you'd have in the Atlantic, along the coast!!!
Light westerly winds and small seas....these are some of the best conditions for sailing a small boat along the East Coast of Florida!!! (and it doesn't last long....usually a day or two....as a front is moving along...so, take advantage of it!!)

Today's weather forecasts...

From Sebastian Inlet to Jupiter, out to 20 miles (including Ft. Pierce and Stuart coastal waters)

Quote:
Today
Southwest winds 10 to 15 knots increasing to 15 knots. seas 3 to 5 feet with a dominant period 8 seconds. A moderate chop on the intracoastal waters. Slight chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon.
Tonight
West winds 10 to 15 knots. Seas 3 to 4 feet with a dominant period 7 seconds. A light chop on the intracoastal waters. Slight chance of thunderstorms in the evening. Slight chance of showers.

Saturday:
West winds 10 to 15 knots. Seas 3 to 4 feet with a dominant period 8 seconds. A moderate chop on the intracoastal waters. Slight chance of showers in the morning.

Saturday Night:
Northwest winds 10 to 15 knots. Seas 3 to 4 feet. A light chop on the intracoastal waters.

Sunday
North winds 10 to 15 knots. Seas 3 to 5 feet. A moderate chop on the intracoastal waters.

From Jupiter Inlet to Deerfield Beach, out to 20 miles (including the coastal waters of Jupiter and Palm Beach)
Quote:
Today
South southwest winds 15 to 20 knots. Seas 2 to 4 feet with occasional seas to 5 feet. Period 7 seconds. Intracoastal waters a moderate chop. A slight chance of showers . A slight chance of thunderstorms.
Tonight
West southwest winds 15 to 20 knots. Seas 2 to 3 feet. Period 5 seconds. Intracoastal waters a moderate chop. A slight chance of showers after midnight.

Saturday
West northwest winds 10 to 15 knots. Seas 2 to 3 feet. Period 4 seconds. Intracoastal waters a light chop. A chance of showers and a slight chance of thunderstorms in the morning. A slight chance of showers.
Saturday Night
Northwest winds 10 to 15 knots. Seas 2 to 4 feet with occasional seas to 5 feet. Period 4 seconds. Intracoastal waters a light chop. A slight chance of showers late in the evening.

Sunday And Sunday Night
North northeast winds 10 to 15 knots. Seas 2 to 4 feet with occasional seas to 5 feet. Intracoastal waters a light chop.

Monday And Monday Night
Northeast winds 5 to 10 knots. Seas 2 to 3 feet with occasional seas to 5 feet. Intracoastal waters light chop

3) After a couple hours (and you've listened to the NOAA VHF weather broadcast on your VHF radio, before you approach Ft. Pierce)....as you approach Ft. Pierce, you'll notice it is a fairly sizable port (small commercial port), with a very easy, wide, and deep inlet to head out thru...

At this point, assess the winds...(you've listened to the NOAA VHF weather broadcast on your VHF radio, before you approached Ft. Pierce...does the forecast for rest of Saturday say westerly winds?? or NW'erly?? If so, that is GREAT!!!), and have a look out thru the Ft. Pierce Inlet...

If you're comfortable, the boat and sails are all working well, and the weather is holding....then head out, and turn south!!

Then sail southerly the next few hours (approx 20 miles) in light westerly winds, down to the St. Lucie Inlet (Stuart), and head on in thru the St. Lucie Inlet....follow the can buoys, and you'll have plenty of good water under you! (if you need any help here, or anywhere along your trip, TowBoatUS will advise you via VHF radio....or they'll come out to help you)

If you're not comfortable....then continue south thru the ICW....stop in Stuart / St. Lucie, for Sat night.....and continue on to west palm beach on Sunday...

Spend the night anchored in Stuart....St. Lucie River area is nice....or Manatee Pocket....etc...

4) You can continue thru the ICW on Sunday if you desire....you'll be motoring most of the rest of the 20+ miles....
Or, if the weather is still good, you can make a decision if you want to head out and sail outside the rest of the way...

FYI...
You'll hear much talk about not wanting to be out in the Gulf Stream with a northerly wind...and this is good advice your novices, or anyone in a small boat....
But, understand that you'll not be any more than a 2 to 3 miles from shore at most....I actually recommend staying about 1.5 to 2 miles out from Ft. Pierce down to St. Lucie Inlet....and only 1 to 1.5 miles out, from St. Lucie Inlet to Lake Worth Inlet (west palm beach)...
You will not be anywhere near the Gulf Stream (and actually you may pick up a slight southerly current if you're lucky!)...

Quote:
The approximate location of the west wall of the Gulf Stream based on the Real Time Ocean Forecast System as of Tuesday October 23rd.

26 nautical miles east of Sebastian Inlet.
17 nautical miles east of Fort Pierce Inlet.
10 nautical miles east of Saint Lucie Inlet.
16 nautical miles east of Jupiter Inlet.
16 nautical miles east southeast of Lake Worth.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

5) Again, I'm aware this boat is new to you, and you are new to sailing....but, if you're comfortable, I do recommend that you head outside and enjoy a wonderful sail!!!
A light west wind (10 - 15 kts) and a light sea (2' to 3', and probably even less as close as you'll be to shore), is a dream for small boat sailors along Florida's east coast!!!

6) FYI...VHF Radio...
You'll use Ch. 9 to talk to the bridges....and some around Jupiter have been known to be a bit of jerks, so be polite, follow their instructions perfectly, and usually that means come up close to the bridge (many times, that's closer than you want to be....but sometimes you have to play their game.)
Thank goodness I don't have to deal with any bascule bridges...

And, for your VHF Weather...
NOAA Weather in Ft. Pierce is Wx Ch. 4
(WWF69 on 162.425mhz)

NOAA Weather in Palm Beach is Wx Ch. 3
KEC50 on 162.475mhz)

Hope this helps..

Fair winds..

John

P.S. If you do decide to go this weekend, and go outside....be sure to contact me via a private message, as I can offer you some further assistance / advice...(I'm in Stuart for the next week)
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2018, 09:33   #25

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka4wja View Post
psagion,
You asked for more info...well here you go...

BTW, I'm going go out on a bit of limb here and actually recommend that you DO consider going "outside" for at least part of your trip...
While Tellie and I usually agree, I'm going to slightly disagree here, because of the weather forecast AND because you seem pretty smart!! (you're asking for advice from those more experienced and heeding it well...that's a show of intelligence and common sense!)
So...

I know, I know....you're new to sailing and the boat is new to you...
BUT...

But, as long as you do a few things, and make your decisions with caution, (and the weather holds) I'm going to cautiously recommend something contrary....and I'm going to give you my reasons...

1) First off, no matter if thru ICW or outside / hugging the coast (2 to 3 miles out max....and I recommend only 1.5 miles out)....you must have a good working VHF radio...
On a 25' boat, w/ 8-hp outboard...I'd assume you have a fixed-mount 25-watt VHF radio....but, even if just a new handheld VHF (make sure it has a FULL charge before leaving), this will work...
{actually having both is a good idea}

2) If you're in Vero, you will be coming south about 10 miles, via the ICW to Ft. Pierce (and Ft. Pierce Inlet, as you'd not go north 12-13 miles to Sebastian Inlet??)....

My recommendation:
Leave early Sat morning from Vero....use these first couple hours getting used to the boat, and sails....

See how she feels to you....and understand that with this weekend's weather, the west winds you'll have in the ICW (north of Stuart / Ft. Pierce), will be similar as that you'd have in the Atlantic, along the coast!!!
Light westerly winds and small seas....these are some of the best conditions for sailing a small boat along the East Coast of Florida!!! (and it doesn't last long....usually a day or two....as a front is moving along...so, take advantage of it!!)

Today's weather forecasts...

From Sebastian Inlet to Jupiter, out to 20 miles (including Ft. Pierce and Stuart coastal waters)

From Jupiter Inlet to Deerfield Beach, out to 20 miles (including the coastal waters of Jupiter and Palm Beach)

3) After a couple hours (and you've listened to the NOAA VHF weather broadcast on your VHF radio, before you approach Ft. Pierce)....as you approach Ft. Pierce, you'll notice it is a fairly sizable port (small commercial port), with a very easy, wide, and deep inlet to head out thru...

At this point, assess the winds...(you've listened to the NOAA VHF weather broadcast on your VHF radio, before you approached Ft. Pierce...does the forecast for rest of Saturday say westerly winds?? or NW'erly?? If so, that is GREAT!!!), and have a look out thru the Ft. Pierce Inlet...

If you're comfortable, the boat and sails are all working well, and the weather is holding....then head out, and turn south!!

Then sail southerly the next few hours (approx 20 miles) in light westerly winds, down to the St. Lucie Inlet (Stuart), and head on in thru the St. Lucie Inlet....follow the can buoys, and you'll have plenty of good water under you! (if you need any help here, or anywhere along your trip, TowBoatUS will advise you via VHF radio....or they'll come out to help you)

If you're not comfortable....then continue south thru the ICW....stop in Stuart / St. Lucie, for Sat night.....and continue on to west palm beach on Sunday...

Spend the night anchored in Stuart....St. Lucie River area is nice....or Manatee Pocket....etc...

4) You can continue thru the ICW on Sunday if you desire....you'll be motoring most of the rest of the 20+ miles....
Or, if the weather is still good, you can make a decision if you want to head out and sail outside the rest of the way...

FYI...
You'll hear much talk about not wanting to be out in the Gulf Stream with a northerly wind...and this is good advice your novices, or anyone in a small boat....
But, understand that you'll not be any more than a 2 to 3 miles from shore at most....I actually recommend staying about 1.5 to 2 miles out from Ft. Pierce down to St. Lucie Inlet....and only 1 to 1.5 miles out, from St. Lucie Inlet to Lake Worth Inlet (west palm beach)...
You will not be anywhere near the Gulf Stream (and actually you may pick up a slight southerly current if you're lucky!)...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

5) Again, I'm aware this boat is new to you, and you are new to sailing....but, if you're comfortable, I do recommend that you head outside and enjoy a wonderful sail!!!
A light west wind (10 - 15 kts) and a light sea (2' to 3', and probably even less as close as you'll be to shore), is a dream for small boat sailors along Florida's east coast!!!

6) FYI...VHF Radio...
You'll use Ch. 9 to talk to the bridges....and some around Jupiter have been known to be a bit of jerks, so be polite, follow their instructions perfectly, and usually that means come up close to the bridge (many times, that's closer than you want to be....but sometimes you have to play their game.)
Thank goodness I don't have to deal with any bascule bridges...

And, for your VHF Weather...
NOAA Weather in Ft. Pierce is Wx Ch. 4
(WWF69 on 162.425mhz)

NOAA Weather in Palm Beach is Wx Ch. 3
KEC50 on 162.475mhz)

Hope this helps..

Fair winds..

John

P.S. If you do decide to go this weekend, and go outside....be sure to contact me via a private message, as I can offer you some further assistance / advice...(I'm in Stuart for the next week)
Going out at Ft. Pierce and back in at St. Lucie Inlet makes no sense whatsoever. Especially for a novice. Strong current at Ft. Pierce, usually against you. Distance is actually longer than the straight shot down the ICW, St. Lucie Inlet not the easiest for a novice. So where does going out and in get you? As for sailing, if the winds are favourable, you can sail along the ICW from Ft. Pierce to the Crossroads.
Old 26-10-2018, 10:22   #26

Oppss.
One thing I forgot to write!!
Binoculars!!

Yes, please have at least one pair of good 7x50 binos!!

Well, yes...I've lived in Florida my whole life...and sailed Florida, Bahamas, Caribbean, N. Atlantic, and the Med...starting as a kid in the mid-1960's....
And, over the past dozen+ years, I've been thru the St. Lucie Inlet dozens and dozens of times! (and Ft. Pierce many times as well)

And, yes....I do understand that my recommendation is contrary to others...but, I stand by my words and recommendations!!

This is one of those rare times...
Great weather!!! (mostly sunny / partly cloudy to start, then clear....light westerly winds...)
Perfect tides...or at least close to perfect (out on a slack tide, or close to it....and in on a slack tide, or close to it...)
Sunrise is 7:28am...
Sunset 6:42pm...

And, you do not need to out far at all....1 to 2 miles out is good....(yes, this 1.5 miles out and 1.5 miles in....combined with the transit time actually thru the inlets and into the ICW, yep that all combines together...so your ~ 30 mile trip from Vero to Stuart is now ~35 miles...maybe adds an extra hour or hour-and-a-half to your day...)

Does it make sense??
If you want to take advantage of a rare occurrence...light west wind, relatively calm seas, fairly clear skies, warm temps (85* F High) no storms, favorable tides, etc....and a nice weekend!
Oh yes...it makes sense to me!!

Specifically to tides / currents...
Ft. Pierce Inlet is a easy commercial inlet....especially with a light wind...and a west or NW wind, it's a dream!
St. Lucie Inlet (for a small boat), during light winds is fine....especially with little to no tidal current...
{If someone can read the markers in the ICW, then they should be able to read the markers and cans in the St. Lucie Inlet....the "horror" of inlets whose markers / buoys are not charted is over-blown....the markers / cans in the St. Lucie are placed along the channel and moved/adjusted as needed, but just 'cuz of this many folks seem to think it means this isn't a place to go without "local knowledge"...hogwash!
And, as I wrote earlier, TowBoatUS advise people all the time and has on occasion when there is a strong E or NE wind, come out and "escorted" boats thru the St. Lucie Inlet (at no charge)...I suspect hoping they'll sign up for BoatUS towing...L }

And, even more specifically:

Slack tide (High) is 10:47am Sat morning...at Ft. Pierce Inlet..
And, that last hour, from 9:30am...onto 11:30am or so....there will be little current, but as you get later the current will be going out, with the wind on your stern or aft port quarter as you head out...

(then a nice bean reach, with a light west wind....for the next 4 to 5 hours...)

Slack tide (Low) is 4:18pm Sat afternoon...at St. Lucie Inlet...
And, if the forecast holds the winds will be westerly, or WNW'erly...and you'll head in thru inlet with a light wind, close-hauled or close-reached...or just motor in...
If you arrive about 3pm to 4pm Sat, this is a very easy Inlet entrance!! (even 5pm would be okay...slack tide or a slight tidal current flowing in with you...and the sun not too low, yet..)

Again, I stand by my recommendations...
If psagion feels comfortable, the boat / sails are working well, and the weather forecast is holding....then go for it!
If, not....then use the ICW...

Fair winds.

John
Old 26-10-2018, 11:11   #27
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Offhand thoughts-
I'd go with Tellie. First, run the heck out of the boat for a weekend to see what else might need attention, and what speed it will actually make. You might make six knots motorsailing but I'd be more conservative and plan on five.
And, silly question but you did say "first boat". Do you have a dingy or some other way to get back and forth if you anchor the boat out? Has IT been tested and found reliable?
How's the boat's anchoring gear? If you get a couple of days of heavy Florida thunderstorms, it may have to hold the boat securely while you're not there.
With a little prep or luck it should be an easy ride. You'll need to check bridge openings, yes, but I suspect a 25' boat will also be short enough to clear under most if not all of them. You don't want to gamble on that--check each one on the charts. Also check that your paperwork and safety equipment are in order, the FWC and the other watercops don't cut much slack about that. If you have any doubts about equipment, you can call the USCG Auxiliary for a free courtesy check, and if you need anything, you just get a list of what it is, no penalty.
Fifty miles, five knots, if you leave at the crack of dawn, you'd make it in one day.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2018, 11:22   #28

Just past the Parker Bridge as you enter Lake Worth southbound, take the local channel markers to port and they will swing you around to the north for a short distance into the very nice anchorage at the north end of Lake Worth. There or the lagoon on east of ICW just before high rise Blue Heron Bridge. Both good as others have said. Any where near Peanut Island I would not recommend for any but a short stay. Too much boat traffic. A couple of miles further south (near Ryobvich superyacht marina) or south of Flagler Bridge and Palm Harbor Marina are good also.

Do you have a dinghy? Make sure you have a chain or cable and good lock, both while at the boat and on shore. Not as bad an area for theft as S. Miami but it happens. Also dinghy anchor and safety equip as required. PM me and I will give you contact info in case you need more info, help, advice, parts, etc.
Var Korall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2018, 12:16   #29

psagion,
1) I don't know your mast height, but I doubt you'll fit under most of the bascule bridges....as the Hobe Sound and 2 of the 3 Jupiter bridges, PGA and Parker are 25'....(Jupiter - Indiantown Rd and Donald Ross bridges are 35')....and, depending on where in west palm you're going, a few others are only 14' to 17' high.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
You'll need to check bridge openings, yes, but I suspect a 25' boat will also be short enough to clear under most if not all of them.
So, except for one in Ft. Pierce, Jensen Beach, Stuart, etc. (that are 65' fixed bridges), you will probably need to wait on bridge openings...(fyi, last time I checked....Indiantown and Donald Ross have STRICT "hour" and "half-hour" opening rules.)

2) Here I'm in 100% agreement!!
Quote:
Also check that your paperwork and safety equipment are in order, the FWC and the other watercops don't cut much slack about that. If you have any doubts about equipment, you can call the USCG Auxiliary for a free courtesy check, and if you need anything, you just get a list of what it is, no penalty.
Btw, regarding the watercops....Martin County Marine Patrol (Sheriff's Deputies), are awesome! They are really nice guys!
BUT...

But, this unfortunately contrasts with the jerks of the FWC (Fish and Wildlife Commission)....sometimes I think they're just wanna-be SWAT guys, or dream of being with DHS?? Anyway, they will pull over sailboats for "making way" in an "idle speed" zone, and ignore the "go-fast-boat" going the same speed (I saw it happen right in front of me!)
And the FWC also gave me a bitching-out for not having lights on my 12' Carib C12 RIB, in the middle of the day, 1 mile from my dock...

Be nice, be polite, wave at 'em....and smile....but, if you get pulled-over, you'll be glad you took Hellosailor's advice --- make sure all your safety gear is in order...

3) Hmm...
Quote:
Fifty miles, five knots, if you leave at the crack of dawn, you'd make it in one day.
Generically, this is good advice...but, with this weekend's weather??
I'd say, enjoy a nice pleasure sail, take the whole weekend...and have fun...
Just my opinion, of course...

And, as I said....if you want to go for it, please get in touch with me...(I might be able to offer you an overnight dockage, or at least a dingy ride..)

Fair winds...

John
Old 26-10-2018, 13:31   #30

Update:

Spent most of the morning checking and rechecking everything.
I still have a few things to fix so the trip will be postponed a little longer.

As far as safety equipment I used the USCG app checklist and all checked up. However, I accidentally snapped one of the legs of the stern rails so I have to reattach it. Def going to update the life vests, the ones it has are just fugly. Most likely I will have the Guards come out and do a free inspection, I'll already gave uncle sam 5 years of my life, no need to give them money.

It has 3 anchors light on chains but lots of rope.

I do have a tender 9'4 so I'll have to either drag it or have the "Dictator of the House" drive it back to west palm (that's going to cost me something shiny)
As far as engines the 8 Hp runs great but I'm waiting on a smaller 5 Hp Honda 4stroke to be serviced just so I feel a little better making my first long trip.
Radios are good, have a WM 75 portable and a regular I kidnaped from a friend. Power will be supplied by two batteries and solar panel.

One of the local sailboat residents who was giving me a hand today and advising me on how to approach the upcoming projects, said that he would sail her today as is, that the boat physically was water ready.

About that boat:
Because she has no permanent parking as of yet, the wife is calling it "The Homeless" (long side story with the name)
She is a Cape Dory 25 who could be the twin of "BETTY LA FEA", at the moment, given that she needs some love and elbow grease but I know that soon the ugly duckly will turn into the pretty girl of the strip.

If you guys have any experience with Cape Doris please let me know and what is your opinion on the vessel.

Again thank you for all the updates and feedback, I'm taking it like a sponge.
psagion is offline   Reply With Quote