Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-05-2014, 05:31   #61

Boat: O'Day 40
Re: UK yacht Cheeki Rafiki missing in mid-Atlantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
I agree seems like a pretty quick check by the ship considering at least two PLRB's were activated. Sure would like to see an actual picture of the overturned boat the ship came upon to make sure it was in fact Cheeki Rafki they spotted. The crew of the sailboat being experience sailors probably would know to stay with the boat for as long as possible. Additionally, they knew they were in trouble that why they were diverting to the Azores so they might have been prepared to abandon at any moment and might be in a raft nearby. I'm curious if the boat actually had an EPIRB (not just crew with PLRB's) I did not see mention of it in any of the reports. You would think they would but, maybe they thought they were covered with PLRB's.
Thanks Capt Mike, BBC news just shown the photo, not clear but very close alongside the ship.... but the hull (if it was upturned) looked white which cant be right....think the antifouling was blue....cant find the photo on the internet yet though. And yes, thought they should have an EPIRB but some are not self activating I think?
tonywatson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2014, 05:39   #62
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: UK yacht Cheeki Rafiki missing in mid-Atlantic

Tracy Edwards has just been on the 'Box' calling for the search to be resumed and having a general pop at the authorities for quitting so soon.. Good OnYa Tracy...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2014, 05:49   #63

Boat: 393

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonywatson58 View Post
Thanks Capt Mike, BBC news just shown the photo, not clear but very close alongside the ship.... but the hull (if it was upturned) looked white which cant be right....think the antifouling was blue....cant find the photo on the internet yet though. And yes, thought they should have an EPIRB but some are not self activating I think?
The picture is here:
Cardinal Points - Richard Donkin on Yachts and Yachting: Cheeki Rafiki - the search must go on

incredibly close.
How can it be that they weren't asked to stay with the vessel?
plato-gb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2014, 05:55   #64

Boat: Catalina 470

Matt,
I need to be brief this morning, so forgive the somewhat flippant answers...

A detailed discussion of weather watching (both watching the clouds and barometer and watching the official forecasts) would drift this thread way too much (and take too much time...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
Thanks John. I've used both the weatherfax (Radio) and GRIBs (sat phone), but even with all this data, I can't say I really have a good grasp of weather beyond what the arrows show me.
But, if you read the posts I referenced earlier, and follow the links provided there, you should have a pretty good set of resources and enough weather training info to get you going...

As for your "first offshore passage anxiety"....not a lot anyone else can do about that....but...
Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
Besides sailing the Caribbean, this will be the first real passage for my wife, our boat, and myself. I know it's hard to predict the weather beyond 4 days out..... so just deciding today is the day to shove off maybe the hardest thing for us to do. Reading threads like this about poor sailors out there isn't helping the confidence.
But, if you don't mind some advice....
1) Click on the posts/links I referenced earlier....and read them...
2) Stop reading THIS thread/discussion (and all other "disaster" discussions) right now!! (unsubscribe from this thread, and do not look at it again...)

Again, sorry for the flippant answers/comments....
Gotta go...

fair winds..

John
s/v Annie Laurie
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2014, 06:00   #65

Boat: Oyster 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbianka View Post
I agree seems like a pretty quick check by the ship considering at least two PLRB's were activated. Sure would like to see an actual picture of the overturned boat the ship came upon to make sure it was in fact Cheeki Rafki they spotted. The crew of the sailboat being experience sailors probably would know to stay with the boat for as long as possible. Additionally, they knew they were in trouble that why they were diverting to the Azores so they might have been prepared to abandon at any moment and might be in a raft nearby. I'm curious if the boat actually had an EPIRB (not just crew with PLRB's) I did not see mention of it in any of the reports. You would think they would but, maybe they thought they were covered with PLRB's.
The boat was a charter race boat and took part in RORC races where it is subject to ISAF racing rules. As such will have been subject to quite high standards of safety equipment amongst other things. The rules do require them to have had a water activating EPIRB. Regs:ISAF Offshore Special Regulations | special-regulations

Presumably the EPIRB got trapped when (again presumably) the keel dropped off and the boat rolled. It could have gone off, but maybe it was trapped underwater and if so there would have been no position signal and a drastically attenuated transmission.

Edit: Just seen the picture of the upturned hull. Looks so low, I can't imagine any survivors in there. Conditions don't look anywhere near as bad as the USCG described. Let's hope they are in the liferaft.
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2014, 06:01   #66

Boat: O'Day 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by plato-gb View Post
The picture is here:
Cardinal Points - Richard Donkin on Yachts and Yachting: Cheeki Rafiki - the search must go on

incredibly close.
Many thanks - my mistake - the rudder looks blue....and the ship looks like it is travelling at speed....completely concur with Mr Donkin's comments
tonywatson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2014, 06:08   #67
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonywatson58 View Post
Many thanks - my mistake - the rudder looks blue....and the ship looks like it is travelling at speed....completely concur with Mr Donkin's comments
The yacht looks to be in the lee which would quieten the waters.. the white water you see would be created by the roll of the ship in seas.. you'd be amazed what it can really look like in these conditions and no captain would pass so close at speed.. the wash/wake would be catastrophic...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/chee...earch/?fref=ts

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 19-05-2014, 06:18   #68
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Makes one wonder... would it have been different with a baby on board... Ships from all over.. parachuting divers.. US citizens...
Or.. am I just a cynical old Ba$turd..

Old 19-05-2014, 06:29   #69

Certainly appreciate the effort by the ship to divert to look for the crew. But, only one photo of the overturned hull? Listening to the BBC audio interview with the Coast Guard official he said the ship found an "overturned hull". But, I'm still not hearing a definitive ID it was Cheeki Raki unless I missed something. It looks a little small for a 40 footer but, photos can be deceiving too. Still, you would think the stern should have popped up in those seas at some point reveling the name on the transom at some point for verification.
Old 19-05-2014, 06:33   #70
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Makes one wonder... would it have been different with a baby on board... Ships from all over.. parachuting divers.. US citizens...
Or.. am I just a cynical old Ba$turd..
You're a cynical old basturd, but you didn't have to say anything for us to know that.

SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2014, 06:39   #71
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Tracy Edwards has just been on the 'Box' calling for the search to be resumed and having a general pop at the authorities for quitting so soon.. Good OnYa Tracy...
If your a Face Book member please like and Share this page.. https://www.facebook.com/CheekiRafiki

Old 19-05-2014, 06:49   #72
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plato-gb View Post
The picture is here:

incredibly close.
Apparently, they did:

Quote:

We were informed on Sunday that a capsized yacht had been found in the search area by the merchant ship M/V MAERSK KURE. However, the sea state prevented them from closely examining it which is very disappointing but understandable.

We are very grateful to the M/V MAERSK KURE which volunteered to remain and continue the search on Sunday until such time as it was stood down in the evening.

Cheeki Rafiki Press Release - May 2014 | Stormforce Coaching | RYA, MCA & STCW Training, Charter & Racing For Sail, Power & Superyacht

Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2014, 07:19   #73
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Is that the keel or rudder sticking up?

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2014, 07:21   #74

They volunteered, yes.
They were not asked to stay though.
Old 19-05-2014, 07:24   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Is that the keel or rudder sticking up?
I've magnified and it looks like the rudder to me.

Tags
yacht