Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2015, 15:19   #31

Boat: Valiant 42
Re: Tru fuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Actually here in the pnw we are a carbon neutral electric state all our electricity comes from wind and hydroelectric plants not coal or nuke.
Now that's funny, I don't care who you are. Thanks for the chuckle...
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2015, 15:19   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1affiah View Post
So if I run straight ethanol in my 8hp tohatsu/10ft RIB I could pull waterskiers?
Yes you can pull water skiers however just like now you will never do more than mush them to run ethanol you will need to increase the fuel to air ratio by about 20% more fuel to get the same performance you get now with gasoline.
newhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2015, 16:06   #33

Boat: 35' Fontaine Pajot Tobago

I have a buddy that owns the local Honda motorcycle dealership. He said his shop makes a fortune on repairing motorcycles running ethanol. Seems to be an issue mostly on engines that are not run frequently.

I have another buddy that owns a local rental business. He has lots of small engines, lawnmowers, chainsaws, etc. He rents all his equipment with a 5 gallon can of non ethanol gasoline and reports that his small engine repairs have dropped significantly.

Our marine business has lots of small engines. All of our small gasoline engines are fueled with non-ethanol gasoline. The only time we have issues is when one of my guys fuels one with ethanol fuel and stores the equipment for a while. It's a sure fire way of having a gummed up carburetor.

I've read all of the post on this thread and it seems that some of you guys have no issue with running ethanol fuel. I don't either in my truck that is run everyday and the fuel is turned over often. However, living in a place that has 85%- 95% humidity every day, my marine engines and small engines do much better without it.
Old 18-05-2015, 16:38   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
Now that's funny, I don't care who you are. Thanks for the chuckle...
Your welcome and I suppose I said it wrong we are a green power state all our power is produced using renuable resources.
Old 18-05-2015, 17:20   #35

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

Quote:
Documented proof please
Articles On Ethanol - Seaworthy - BoatUS
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2015, 17:36   #36

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Quote:
Your welcome and I suppose I said it wrong we are a green power state all our power is produced using renuable resources.
Now I'm ROTFLMAO--care to give any documented proof of that??

BTW, you may not want to believe there are problems from using ethanol gas in boat engines, but you might be curious as to why the FAA has banned its use in airplanes.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2015, 17:41   #37

Over 50% of the 4 state PNW region electricity is hydro. But 25% is nuclear, coal or natural gas. This is the last time I checked. The fact that hydro is a huge percentage has nothing to do with the "green" motives. That's where the big water flows and hydro is the cheapest form of electricity. Also, 2 of the 4 states are among the least populace in terms of people per square mile in the U.S. So it's really just a freak of nature that these 4 states enjoy so much renewable energy.
Old 18-05-2015, 17:52   #38
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Never said it was green motivated its pure economics hydro is cheap to produce here in Washington and the wind farms in eastern Washington also cheap production
Old 18-05-2015, 18:32   #39

Still, not all power in the PNW is renewable. There is a lot of natural gas and coal (about 25% of the total). Wind is an insignificant source (<5%) of electricity in all states.

Hydro is cheap when the federal government funds the dam construction and the O&M budget. Over 50% of the dams in Oregon are federally operated. So technically the rest of the country has invested in most of that hydro infrastructure. If the capital costs were born by the local consumers as happens in most other states (maybe not Tennessee) hydro would not probably not be as popular.
Old 18-05-2015, 18:51   #40
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal40john View Post
Thank you for that link it pretty much said what I have been saying ethanol blended fuel is not an issue and e15 would actually be better than e10 for engines concerning phase separation and to prevent it have the tank full when storing for long term
Old 18-05-2015, 20:19   #41

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

Quote:
Thank you for that link it pretty much said what I have been saying ethanol blended fuel is not an issue and e15 would actually be better than e10 for engines concerning phase separation and to prevent it have the tank full when storing for long term
New engines are apparently working ok with alcohol. Did you read the article about older engines? It is spot on with the 7 or 8 engines that our club has. We had reached the point where we had spare carbs and an ultrasonic cleaner to swap out carbs and clean them on a regular basis. The picture with the corrosion was also pretty common. We found a gas station with no alcohol fuel which changed things. We haven't been cleaning carbs since.

The last couple of years we have been upgrading to newer engines which shouldn't be an issue any more, but we'll probably keep buying the same fuel.
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel