Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2012, 01:08   #61

Boat: Traditional 30
Re: The Way to Treat Pirates

Quote:
Originally Posted by susanna reiter View Post
Thanks for that ......for too long the Somalia Pirates have wrecked havoc on so many for so long...Good On Ya Russians ...way ta go !!!!
We still need the russians it seems. The western nations have to show compassion and fairness to the pirates. While the Ruskis can still be cowboys and flex a few laws here and there.

On a side note, we can only blame the cold war on how many guns are in northern africa. If the west and Soviets didnt sabre rattle for so long, half these ex soviet army guns wouldnt exist and piracy would be a more expensive as a business model with the lack of hardware pushing the price of guns and RLs up.
Old 04-05-2012, 04:30   #62

Boat: AHD windsurfer :p
Re: The way to treat Pirates

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyjean View Post
Now this should piss off all the passavist people in the world. New concept, defend your self and your property. ..Michael..
according to this report, that is what the pirates are doing.

they say that it started due to hunger, with foreign fishing vessels illegally fishing, so first they took a fishing boat and it grew.

in the interview with a pirate he states (something like, i watched it a few weeks ago) that he's not afraid of the fact that the western world is starting to use them for high-tech target practice, they can hide and with starvation as the other alternative piracy will continue.

my question is perhaps the many millions spent blowing them up might be better spent with a kinder hand.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:20   #63

Boat: Haida 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparau View Post

they say that it started due to hunger, with foreign fishing vessels illegally fishing, so first they took a fishing boat and it grew.

in the interview with a pirate he states (something like, i watched it a few weeks ago) that he's not afraid of the fact that the western world is starting to use them for high-tech target practice, they can hide and with starvation as the other alternative piracy will continue.

my question is perhaps the many millions spent blowing them up might be better spent with a kinder hand.
Are you serious...............Michael..
Old 04-05-2012, 06:37   #64

Boat: O'Day 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyjean View Post
Are you serious...............Michael..

Come on, " a kinder hand." Yeah that's the ticket!
Old 04-05-2012, 06:49   #65

Just holding the world to ransom. Oh wow is me, I am poor so I can do what I want and the world can pay me. Just welfare on a different level, and the bleeding hearts will stand up for them. The sooner the bleeding hearts and civil libertarians pull their heads in the sooner this mess will be over. JMHO.

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
Old 04-05-2012, 06:56   #66

what would you do if you were starving and had access to military firearms? the threat of death is only a threat if you aren't dying.

seems logical to me that we'd be more likely to end piracy with food and supporting the local government than occasionally obliterating a few of them.

its a war that can't be won without a near invasion force of patrolling ships, if people are starving, replacement pirates will come. what purpose does it serve to do this?
Old 04-05-2012, 07:51   #67

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV
Just holding the world to ransom. Oh wow is me, I am poor so I can do what I want and the world can pay me. Just welfare on a different level, and the bleeding hearts will stand up for them. The sooner the bleeding hearts and civil libertarians pull their heads in the sooner this mess will be over. JMHO.
Oh, please explain to me how piracy is the fault of "bleeding hearts and civil libertarians".
Old 04-05-2012, 08:07   #68
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
Oh, please explain to me how piracy is the fault of "bleeding hearts and civil libertarians".
Please, don't. That would be dragging this thread straight into political waters. Which would sink it more rapidly than it is under its current momentum...

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
Old 04-05-2012, 08:29   #69

Quote:
what would you do if you were starving and had access to military firearms? the threat of death is only a threat if you aren't dying.
I'd start farms, livestock and agricultural movements. I'd start businesses. I'd run the "bad guys" out and try to rally the people to stand up for a working AND SELF SUFFICIENT model. Access to military firearms grants the option to fight for good just as easily as it grants the option to fight for bad.

Piracy will never lead these people to prosperity. You can easily argue that allowing it continue is actually more horrible for them. Its continued dependence, and a dangerous and awful dependence where people must die at that.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:50   #70

Boat: Skookum 53'

When the people are systematically held down either socially or economically, it is the breeding ground for extremists, it also leaves the door wide open for the radicals to recruit and convert followers, what do they have to lose? They are already dying. My dear departed Uncle used to say, " You can't starve a profit." He was referring to raising cattle, but it works the same with people.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:03   #71
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: The Way to Treat Pirates

Do unto others as they would do unto you....
Just get the timing right....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:08   #72
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

They were certainly right to start capturing the fishing boats. The problem was they started too late when there was no fish left. At that point they began leaving the waters of their own nation and became the problem not the solution.

The problem with threads like this is people like to substitute self righteous rhetoric for knowledge and understanding of the problem.

For those of you that think this will solve the problem, do you have any idea what life is like for the pirates? I understand that you would be deterred by this action but then I don't imagine any of you would have been there in the first place. The lives of the people taking these actions don't in any way resemble yours. Mogadishu is the most dangerous city in the world. You take your life in your hands walking down the street.

Others will follow the few killed in this action but this ship will continue on anywayand so will cargo carriers that take this approach. I've read that the big fuel tankers can't risk shots being fired so if the cargo carriers aren't targets the oil tankers will likely become a greater target.

As for those who think that they will hold off the pirates with guns blazing from the deck of a sailboat moving 7 knots, well, would you like us to mention anything in your obituary other then "his bravado exceeded his survival instincts"?

Old 04-05-2012, 14:59   #73
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
They were certainly right to start capturing the fishing boats. The problem was they started too late when there was no fish left. At that point they began leaving the waters of their own nation and became the problem not the solution.

The problem with threads like this is people like to substitute self righteous rhetoric for knowledge and understanding of the problem.

For those of you that think this will solve the problem, do you have any idea what life is like for the pirates? I understand that you would be deterred by this action but then I don't imagine any of you would have been there in the first place. The lives of the people taking these actions don't in any way resemble yours. Mogadishu is the most dangerous city in the world. You take your life in your hands walking down the street.

Others will follow the few killed in this action but this ship will continue on anywayand so will cargo carriers that take this approach. I've read that the big fuel tankers can't risk shots being fired so if the cargo carriers aren't targets the oil tankers will likely become a greater target.

As for those who think that they will hold off the pirates with guns blazing from the deck of a sailboat moving 7 knots, well, would you like us to mention anything in your obituary other then "his bravado exceeded his survival instincts"?

Finally the adults arrive on this thread. Anyone who thinks that shooting a few poor pirates will make any difference is nuts. The alternative for them is to watch their families starve, an easy decision to make for most. And the people who would get shot are making almost no money, in the main they are just kids who work for the real criminals higher up in the org, same as any military or other criminal orginisation in the world. Shooting a few of them will just up the ante and cause more violence, there are a thousand replacements standing by for each one of them. And the people who are really responsible arent headed out to sea in little boats to risk their asses, thats not how it works. It would actually be much cheaper to try a humanitarian approach in that part of the world than a military, and those who are suggesting we have been doing so for a long time to no effect are just wrong. Private charities and the UN have pumped in much aid, but without military backing it all just gets taken by whichever warlord is in power at the moment. The african union offered to send troops to safegaurd aid shipments and were mostly turned down for political reasons. And we all know the real reasons that many governments desire instability in the region-oil. Funny that the janjaweed and other elements of terror and instability in the region come from OPEC nations. Libya is bad enough for them but if all of north africa was opened up for oil exploitation they would lose billions and the price of gas would drop overnight. The same reason Saddam had to go, not so we could get the oil but to make sure no one could get it and keep prices high. Somalia has been a lawless nation for so long because thats how the powers that be want it, and its likely to stay that way whether a few hungry young somali kids on boats get shot or not. Its a huge lawless nation with a population of millions, you're not solving the problem that easily.
Old 04-05-2012, 15:33   #74

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:

I wonder how much those "tourist guides" charge?
Old 04-05-2012, 15:56   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
My thought on this is that I think the US at least, and many other organizations have a track record of trying to supply various regions with food and expertise on one thing and another for lotsa years. Nothing much has worked, and at tremendous expense.
Tremendous expense is clearly a relative term.

World wide military spending ~1600 billion.

World wide aid spending ~100 billion (best figures i could find).

So we can probably rule out fiscal reasons why no-one is helping the Somalis.