Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-04-2020, 10:59   #46

Re: The Value of Upgrades when Selling

Unless you want to move something to your next boat leave them alone. We sold our boat in 8weeks in the middle of winter. We had the interior valeted and the deck professionally cleaned. We left all instruments and electronics. We emptied everything personal off the boat. We went to a broker that had boats in our price range. We got a fair price offer. And the broker told us what other boats had sold for in all of Europe so we didn’t over price.
petermjdavies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2020, 13:20   #47

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner
Re: The Value of Upgrades when Selling

It always comes down to what a buyer wants in a boat. Advertisements can list all the features, but they could just as easily put someone off who doesn’t want that stuff.
I also wouldn’t remove anything, unless it was personal or can’t be seen to have been removed, and then obviously, before it was photographed and advertised.
Loads of different parameters sell boats.
One of mine once sold on photographs alone. I produced a portfolio of superb photographs and mailed it to people who seemed serious, with a promise and the money for them to send the book back. Everyone did, except a couple who came over from Norway, literally with a bag of money, and drove it away for my price—which just happened to be the same I bought it for eight years earlier, with next to no additional equipment, but everything working properly.
The only way you can find out if the equipment sold the boat is to ask the buyer, after he’s paid for it and taken delivery. Even then, you probably won’t get a truthful answer, because he will be in, “The happiest time to own a boat,” and you will be in “The happiest time to sell it.”