Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2017, 16:18   #76
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: The Political World of the Marinas

Just think, it could be hard driving rain, just below freezing. Whatever the Wx is, it can always be worse.
We just had a Tropical Storm march across Fl, made landfall in Tampa Bay I think.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 16:54   #77
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Well beer is free all the time here, but wine is only free at the 3x/week happy hour. So during happy hours I need to get my fruit in! Plus the beer drinking group is kind of serious looking and focused on the task and not talking as much.
Have you been able to balance your daily marina cost with beer/wine consuption?
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 17:31   #78

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400 1991

It's you.
Rising Tide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 17:34   #79

Boat: Shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
So, if I follow your logic, you cannot have a successful life, a good education, a successful business/job or overall success in life unless you ARE NOT critical of other people???? "Self-inflicted" problems have a direct connection to intelligence. Without a brain, everything is acceptable and similar to the amoeba, the most you will be capable of doing is to move in one direction or another in a stimulus response. And, of course, we will conveniently ignore the last 2,500 years of Literature, History and Philosophy that deals with Man's relationship to the world and his dissatisfaction with the status quo. The History of Mankind is the quest of dissatisfied human beings looking for the greener grass on the other side of the fence. If we left the world to those who are so easily satisfied, we would still be living in the Stone Age as meager hunter-gatherers seeking a sustenance existence in an uncertain world. You are what you make it? Only if you are incapable of ignoring reality. The great people in Life are never meek. Meek people in life are never great. Just ask Darwin. Good luck and safe sailing.
A reasonable man conforms himself to his environment.

An unreasonable man tries to change the environment to suit himself.

That's why all progress comes from unreasonable men.
Cottontop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 17:38   #80

Boat: Shopping

I find that in any gathering of people, I like some of them and others I don't.

And some of them like me and others don't.

I wish the ones I liked were the ones that liked me, but it doesn't always work out that way.
Cottontop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 19:16   #81
CLOD

Boat: none

Yes when the wine ran out tonight and we had to switch to beer the talk changed to more serious stuff. Maybe it was that people already had finished off all the wine!
Old 02-08-2017, 20:13   #82

Boat: bare boat charter world wide

i have not read through all of these pages...

But, in life, where ever we have traveled or lived, or visited, we treat people with respect. if there some kind of click, that has formed after years and years, so be it.

I have the greatest mate, love, and best friend that anyone could want.
that is what is primary in my life....but we both like people and have no problem meeting others . But that does not mean everyone loves us.

We would also have s ship shape vessel, squared way from dock
lines secured with proper cleat hitches, with bitter ends back to the boat, or flemished out on the docks.

The bow pulpit would not be riding out and over the dock for those living there to run into and maybe be injured.

Halyards silenced, running rigging squared away, the decks clear of piles of gear, sails in good shape, main properly flaked and sail cover on , good condition ultra violet protector for the jib. Or hanked on sails stowed.

Be thoughtful of the neighbors, and just give them a smile, and always greet them with respect.

We would not expect to be part of tight group when we first arrived. If TRUE friendships result , then great, If not we will continue to treat everyone with respect, and gain new and different friends when ashore. And more than likely, some of the long time live aboards as well.

We could care less about face book, and telling others how to live their lives.

All we can do is live our own lives. If we did meet some neat people from the marina, and we invite them over for a drink, and they accept Good stuff.

Usually through honest two way conversation, not I pods, or smart phones, or tablets, but human interaction, friends and acquaintences are made.

We generally are amazed at what these people have done and what we actually have in common. Listen to what they say, and wait for them to finish their statement.

We do not get involved in petty crap...zero....who cares.

How about having some situational awareness, where maybe you could ask to lend a hand. Unconditional kindness, or even greetings, but always respectful. If it is accepted great, if it is not, well that is the way things go.

And have a squared way and well taken care of vessel, and let her show your seamanship.

Gain respect on all aspects by your actions. If a friend is to be made, outstanding, but we do not need a click . A few true friends would be good enough for us. But, we would still be polite and greet everyone . Sometimes verbally, or a smile, or nod, and look them in the eye .

And another way we live...IF YOU CANNOT SAY SOMETHING NICE ABOUT SOME ONE, SHUT THE HELL UP.

That is part of the way that we live.

And there is another age old addage...

Some ya win,, some ya lose, and some are rained out.
bvisailing32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 21:01   #83

Quote:
I have a couple more

- just as it is foolish to be Facebook friends with coworkers and your boss, it is foolish to join the marina Facebook page while you at the marina and post to it
- it is just st as foolish above it is foolishness she to do the same for a lot cal cruisers net Facebook
- it is foolish to post a marina review on ActiveCaptain while still at the marina and if it has negatives be planning on returning some day
its 'foolish' to have anything to do with facebook
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 21:27   #84

Quote:
well it's not all roses, happy hour starts in 20 minutes and it is raining out and the walk is long, yet if I don't go I will hear about it plus miss out on the newest gossip

what to do what to do
.........ever hear of Diogenes??
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 22:46   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Marinas dont really bother me much these days.. learnt long ago that theres the old gits and know it alls who "Tut Tut..!! I wouldnt do that" the world over and most sailors are like ex-pats who can do nothing but bitch about where they are and everything that is not..
"I fookin hate Spain/Greece/St Martin/Wherever.."
So.. I go third line and hang with the natives and non sailors.. well away from the 'experts.
😀😀😀
B ever seen the movie 80s (maybe early 90s?) british movie Shirley Valentine? I swear it totally summed up what you're talking about!
sailorcherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 23:19   #86

You know I can relate to a lot of the comments here. The most common denominator I have picked up on, to bring out the marina drama, is:
TOO MUCH BOOZE, BABY!!!
sailorcherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 23:25   #87

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorcherry View Post
You know I can relate to a lot of the comments here. The most common denominator I have picked up on, to bring out the marina drama, is:
TOO MUCH BOOZE, BABY!!!
+1 Couldn't agree with you more, I was just about , whoops my bourbon just ran out, I'll be back shortly.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 00:39   #88
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorcherry View Post
B ever seen the movie 80s (maybe early 90s?) british movie Shirley Valentine? I swear it totally summed up what you're talking about!
Spent summer of '97 working as boat driver/ski instructor/banana and doughnut tower/jet bike demonstrator for a Yorkshireman in Fuengirola.. cruising funds needed topping up.
He'd stand there in his socks n sandals, 50's trunks, string vest complete with knotted hankerchief on his head taking the money hand over fist all the while muttering.. "I fookin hate Spain I do.!!".. his favourite hang out.. a bar run by a Brit couple.. they fookin hated Spain as well.. 😀😀😀
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 04:44   #89

Boat: no boat any more

...yep, a sentiment shared by expats the world over: the "new" country is sh#*§%&! (& apparently worst of all: the "old" one is even worse, or they'd have gone back).
btw this does not only apply to "westerners", everybody just ask their "exotic" immigrants what they think about their new country...
Old 03-08-2017, 08:08   #90

Boat: Various

Life is what you make of it. Ultimately, happiness comes from within, from relationships, from your inner self, not dictated by outside influences. Much in life you can't change, but you can always change how you respond to it, how you let it affect you.

Most marinas have way too much drinking going on. Most of the arguments and unpleasantness and complaining stems from it. We avoid it completely. I have no desire to get into discussions with a drunk, because I know how those work out.

We're fine in our own little world. If we never meet anyone else at the marina, we can go about our business, go explore and be happy. If we make acquaintances with others we enjoy talking to or being around then fine. Primarily our time is either on our boat or it's away from the marina, exploring the town and sight seeing.

If one is unhappy in life, then there's only one cure and that requires them to make a change. Not going to change others. If you don't like a country or a city, news flash, you're not going to change it and they'll be fine without you, but don't bet on liking the next one better. As Erma Bombeck wrote, "The Grass is Greener over the Septic Tank."
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, marinas