Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-07-2018, 18:30   #1
UFO

Boat: Lagoon 440
Telstra Mobile Broadband Coverage - Whitsundays

I have looked at the Telstra coverage map and It looks like that many of the good anchorages are not covered - even on the Eastern side of the islands.

Although I have been told the coverage map is not that accurate at a micro level.

Sadly even when away I need to have internet for my business on at least a couple of days, so if anyone has first hand experience of the Telstra network and good anchorages where it works it it would be appreciated if you could give me the low down.
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2018, 19:25   #2
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Telstra Mobile Broadband Coverage - Whitsundays

Are you using this site
https://www.telstra.com.au/regional-...ional-coverage
If so, in the map options, ensure you tick Map View = Detailed and External antenna.

Coverage seems good to seaward IMO
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2018, 21:12   #3
UFO

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Are you using this site
https://www.telstra.com.au/regional-...ional-coverage
If so, in the map options, ensure you tick Map View = Detailed and External antenna.

Coverage seems good to seaward IMO

I have checked that, but have been told that its not that accurate on a small scale - EG - Individual bays, hence me asking for any first hand experience
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2018, 00:49   #4

Boat: Island Packet 40

You may find that the best way to get an idea of where you will have reception is to find out where the cell towers are and lay out sight lines on a chart. On my way N this year I noticed that I had coverage for text messages in more of the anchorages.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2018, 09:36   #5

Boat: Dufour 310

It will be patchy and slow unless you are near Airlie or Hammo.
ben373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2018, 13:43   #6

good reception in Stonehaven on moorings, ok reception in refuge(nara), ok reception in macona, none in northern bays ie butterfly, not really sure of southern islands

ian
iancwebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2018, 13:57   #7

Boat: clipper Cordova 45

Ian Webb is spot on, just to add to that, no reception at Whitehaven or Chance Bay either. CID has good reception. So Western bays usually ok, northern and eastern nothing.
Hickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2018, 14:53   #8

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Set up your phone for as a wifi portable hotspot. Place in ziplock bag. Tie bag to halyard. Haul to top of mast. Connect laptop to hotspot. Reception greatly improved.

Northern most islands on the western side and around Hammo and Shute Harbour is your best bet. You'll have no problem with Internet if you only need it every couple of days.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2018, 15:06   #9

Boat: Heavenly Twins 26

Depending on how long you’ll be away and how much connection time/data you’ll need, a Netgear Nighthawk M1 with aerial might be worth considering. I’ve found them useful hauled up the mast or with aerial. if hauled up, they have a good battery capacity and won’t die after a couple of hours use.
Screw Loose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2018, 15:34   #10

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 52.2

I need internet for work also - use a Remote Desktop connection, so need consistent connection that doesn’t drop out much. Spent months in Whitsundays 2016 & 17. Have Optus and Telstra 3G/4G modems and hoist them up mast when signal is weak. Managed to get good coverage everywhere on the west, north, south sides of the main islands, plus butterfly bay, Mays, turtle, burning pt, even south side of Thomas island I think, in Nara as long you don’t go too far down (we’d anchor near refuge in order to get coverage). But once you get around the east side to Whitehaven etc it’s pretty much gone.
Nikki S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2018, 01:30   #11

Boat: Lightwave 38' Catamaran - now sold

As others have said, no coverage at all on northern side of Hook Island (although we occasionally got emails/SMS at Butterfly Bay) or eastern side of Whitsunday (unless you walk to the lookout at Whitehaven), good on western side of Hook, Hayman and Whitsunday Islands. Reasonable on southern bays of Hook. Good on Long, South Molle, Hamilton and Shaw. Good in the bays on mainland. Hauling up mast does not seem to improve coverage in the places where you cannot get it, even though we have used this method over 70 km off mainland at Lady Musgrave Island.
clownfishsydney is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
broadband, mob