Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-12-2011, 18:47   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Re: Sydney to Hobart

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
And just like most P-platers, it looks like they must have spun out and ended up in a ditch before being pushed out and continuing, because they have dropped to 9th in their division and 5th in the SOD.
They are 4th in Category (Sydney One design) but only 10 mile off the leader, but then again they are only 20 mile off the last boat in that category. Seems like competitive racing in the SOD. 34th in Overall handicap - but keeping pace with Loki in that category.

I think they are doing good!
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2011, 12:54   #17

The erratic teens are now back to 2nd in div 3 and in SOD they are 2nd but have the soonest ETA, so they are listed 1st. (not sure why the race site sorts SOD differently)

I was surprised to learn that Jessica was not the youngest skipper this year. There is another 18yo skipper, Chris Percy, but his boat was damaged and retired.
hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2011, 20:48   #18

The Kidz are halfway there now. Back at 5th in the S1D. 12nm behind the leader (The whole S1D is spread over only 56nm)
Noztradamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2011, 01:33   #19
Marine Service Provider

Oh dear, a nice close finish, the the tweed jacket set may yet rule the result:

Quote:
Investec LOYAL crossed the line about 7:15pm (AEDT) after two days, six hours, 14 minutes and 18 seconds, only three minutes ahead of five-time winner Wild Oats XI. But the Cruising Yacht Club has alleged Investec LOYAL asked the crew of an ABC helicopter to tell them what sail Wild Oats XI was using when the yachts were just off Merimbula on NSW's south coast. Commodore Gary Linacre told a press conference the conversation was recorded and sent out and heard by others. Investec LOYAL skipper Anthony Bell will face an international jury tomorrow morning and the yacht could be disqualified or face a time penalty.
Old 29-12-2011, 05:27   #20

Boat: Duncanson 37

I did hobart to sydney in 8 days 4hrs and 20minutes including a meal and beers at Eden and a overnight stay behind Gabo Island in a gale, I didnt get wet or have to sit on the rail and watched about 6 DVDS
southace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2011, 11:52   #21

Thankfully common sense has prevailed, and Investec Loyal has been confirmed line honours winner.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2011, 13:26   #22

Boat: Oceanic 46 (Jack Savage)

Quote:
Originally Posted by southace View Post
I did hobart to sydney in 8 days 4hrs and 20minutes including a meal and beers at Eden and a overnight stay behind Gabo Island in a gale, I didnt get wet or have to sit on the rail and watched about 6 DVDS
Southace, you think you done it tough. We did Sydney to Hobart in 54 days, 12hrs and 36 minutes. With stops for food, beer & wine at Jervis Bay, Ulladulla, Batemans Bay, Moruya River, Bermagui, Eden, St Helens, Orford and Fredrick Henry Bay then finally into Hobart. I did get wet once when I fell over while carrying outboard and slightly drunk in the Moruya River. Watched the complete series of Faulty Towers on DVD while waiting in Eden!

https://trekkingthesea.blogspot.com.au/
surfingminniwinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2011, 15:11   #23

Boat: Duncanson 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfingminniwinni View Post
Southace, you think you done it tough. We did Sydney to Hobart in 54 days, 12hrs and 36 minutes. With stops for food, beer & wine at Jervis Bay, Ulladulla, Batemans Bay, Moruya River, Bermagui, Eden, St Helens, Orford and Fredrick Henry Bay then finally into Hobart. I did get wet once when I fell over while carrying outboard and slightly drunk in the Moruya River. Watched the complete series of Faulty Towers on DVD while waiting in Eden!
Are you sure you didnt get lost and take the long way Via Airlie beach and Brisbane!!! haha
southace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2011, 03:14   #24

Jessica and the "kindergarten" crew, managed a 2nd place in their category.

Not bad for a bunch of "inexperienced kids?"

Of course, I do realise the "experts" here would do better.

Definition of "expert."
Ex = Unknown
spert = drip under pressure.

Dusty
Get-a-Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2011, 04:40   #25
Marine Service Provider

Yeah Jess and her team did well, no surprise really. Lot of talent - lot of maturity, lot of heart. Anyone that has raced against her respects her.
Old 31-12-2011, 16:40   #26

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Yeah Jess and her team did well, no surprise really. Lot of talent - lot of maturity, lot of heart. Anyone that has raced against her respects her.
Just goes to show, You dont need 100 million dollars to excell or to win races,
They did really well.
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2011, 16:44   #27

One of my daughters races in the Melbourne to Hobart Half boats,

Must get her to teach me how to sail mine when I get it back, and I know she dont like cats, Hahahahahaaha
Old 31-12-2011, 16:48   #28

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38

Mr B, I reckon they probably had a pretty healthy budget. Thing I was impressed about was the amount of work they put into their campaign. Think Jessica said 12 months solid, and something like (?) last 3 months on the water as a team. Thought following their progress on the web was riveting stuff - only wish the media coverage was better.....
kjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2011, 16:57   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjames View Post
Mr B, I reckon they probably had a pretty healthy budget. Thing I was impressed about was the amount of work they put into their campaign. Think Jessica said 12 months solid, and something like (?) last 3 months on the water as a team. Thought following their progress on the web was riveting stuff - only wish the media coverage was better.....
People dont realise how much effort is put in, just to get to the start line of one of these races,

Would be nice to see the whole race from start to finish,

700 miles start to finish, maximum off and away from the coast 200 miles,
A helicopter could cover the whole race, Long range fuel tanks,

The advertising would pay for it, hands down,.

Cheers,
Brian,
Old 31-12-2011, 17:58   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B

Just goes to show, You dont need 100 million dollars to excell or to win races,
They did really well.
I Agree they did well. That class was reqlly close. If I read right it was a bit over a minute between the top 5 boats. That pretty close after 4 days of sailing.

However cost vs. win depends how you define win. Line honors in 2 days vs class win in 4 days.

In the exponential speed vs. $$$ equation I bet it costs a few more bucks to average 11+ knots vs. 6 1/2...

Got an email from our clubs old sailng manager. He was on Alacrity and retired out of Eden with a stay failure. They were lucky to keep the rig. Interesting that the decision to not repair the stay was a joint decision between the insurance assessor the spar maker and the owner. Once rhe spar maker said they couldn't guarantee a proposed temp repair the assessor said they woudn't cover the rig and the owner decided not to "self insure." once again it's about the money - LOL Needless to say after all the prep the crew was devastated to have to retire...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sydney