Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-12-2007, 23:57   #46

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres
I agree. If you want a canting keel--alter the cant by a system of manual gears or a cranked hydraulic system. Running a motor should not be within the rules and yes--I do think it is cheating. Radios etc do not need a generator for a day and a half and neither do the nav lights.

If moving the fuel is cheating--then moving the keel ballast is cheating too. Why not simply fit high aspect ratio bilge keels? The slight extra drag would be compensated by better lateral resistance and better tracking--
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2007, 00:02   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joli View Post
Not sure why it bothers you that the race organizer allows the boats to use generated power to move the keel. It really is no different then using generated power to run an ap that moves the rudder or use generated power to run a electro mechanical sail tending system.

Your build looks good by the way.
AFAIK autopilots aren't allowed during fully crewed races. I don't think powered winches should be allowed in fully crewed races either. To me the boats should be powered by the wind and human beings only. I would have no objection to canting keels if they were powered by hydraulic pumps manned by people, but I don't like the fact that diesel engines are used to make the boats go faster. That's motorsailing as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks for your interest in the build, It's been slow going just lately - preparing the interior of the boat for paint is a hell of a job, and there have been lots of interruptions. Hopefully progress will pick up soon - the worst of the internal (infernal) fairing is just about finished, (the compound curved areas of the roof) and Christmas is behind us.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2007, 00:10   #48
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
AFAIK autopilots aren't allowed during fully crewed races. I don't think powered winches should be allowed in fully crewed races either.
You're right, Autopilots are not allowed, nor are electiric winches etc. I must say, I have crewed on a yacht with electric winches.... it was a dream... had a little board at each - twin wheel- helm showing with a LED every winch on the boat - furlers incl - you could just stand there and twiddle knobs all day. Looked sensational at night.
Boring as bats piss, but was a dream

Quote:
and Christmas is behind us.
yeah, I know what you mean, I am doing the house so we can go. "Before christmas" is a joke. hope January is better!

mark
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2007, 00:13   #49

I'm pretty sure the canting keelers are allowed powered winches also.

Edit: I'm quite sure - I saw a powered winch being used during the start coverage.
Old 26-12-2007, 00:24   #50
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
I'm pretty sure the canting keelers are allowed powered winches also.

Edit: I'm quite sure - I saw a powered winch being used during the start coverage.
Powered winches were discussed Cruising Yacht Club of Australia ..CYCA boat owners debate IRC rule, canting keels and auxiliary power but it hasnt happened AFAIK. It would be the end of racing...
Old 27-12-2007, 17:07   #51

Hate to tell you this, but the winner Wild Oats, is definitely equipped with power operated winches.
Old 27-12-2007, 18:59   #52

...yep it has powered winches. which I also think is a step in the wrong direction. I think I will join the cruising division !! There is only one boat this year (coming last) so I think that they may have a chance of winning their division !!
cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2007, 19:19   #53
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper View Post
...yep it has powered winches. which I also think is a step in the wrong direction. I think I will join the cruising division !! There is only one boat this year (coming last) so I think that they may have a chance of winning their division !!
yes electric winches and canting keels are for girls (not of the female variety).

Does the cruising division allow extras (as in spinnakers)?

I think the cruising division sounds fine. we could handicap -1 hour for every hot cooked 3 course meal served on bone china; and +1 hour for anyone who gets sea sick; - 1 hour for whale photos; -1 hour for trolling a fishing line and -2 hours for catching dinner!
Old 27-12-2007, 20:29   #54

...which is in the spirit of the original race where one of the boats took time out at one of the islands for a spot of bunny shooting on the way down. The cruising boat did pull into Wollongong for the night on the way down, but it turned out that it was for an injured crew member not a good nights sleep.....Now the idea of a true cruisers race is such a good one ..Im a goin ta start me a new post...
cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 15:38   #55

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weyalan View Post
For what it is worth, my pick for the win this year on corrected time is actually a fixed keel boat, and only a 65 footer at that... I think that Rosebud will beat the big canting keel supermaxis (although they will, of course, beat her a cross the line).
Just to remind y'all... heh heh heh
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 17:28   #56

Boat: Maxim 38 ft catamaran
Used to be well over a hundred boats now with all the extra rules and regulations insurance etc guess what its turned into ,a rich mans game.Does anyone think the average joe blows mght be sitting down having a few beers in the not to distant future and come up with the idea of :lets have a race from sydney to hobart see who can SAIL THEIR boat the quickest we will invite everyone to join us cause we want to find out whose boat is the fastest: psst we will call it a rally though and you can only use manpower and windpower Hey just like a yacht race.Dont normally gamble drink or womanize but ill bet the lot on over 100 sailboats once again heading south on Boxing Day.Regards Geoff. P.S to cut a short story long any use of motorized accessories aint a sailing race.
Jacana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 19:00   #57
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacana View Post
lets have a race from sydney to hobart see who can SAIL THEIR boat the quickest we will invite everyone to join us cause we want to find out whose boat is the fastest: .
and start the race on jan 2nd so we can have christmas with out family!
Old 01-01-2008, 20:44   #58

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
There was unprecendented interest in this year's Melbourne -> Hobart and Launceston -> Hobart races. I feel that this does genuinely reflect the continued interest in off-shore racing but the economic reality that the Sydney -> Hobart has become achievable only for pretty much professional sponsored boats. Hopefully the interest will continue and a degree of normaility / perspective can be maintained so that "weekend warriors" like me can still participate in offshore racing on a reasonable (i.e. tiny) budget.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 00:39   #59

Boat: Schioning 12.3 "Wilderness" Bi-Rig under construction
Send a message via Skype™ to Whimsical
Sounds like it might be a good time for a multihull race from Sydney to Horbart starting about 1 hour after the lead sleds.

Mike
Whimsical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 02:47   #60

Hey Weyalan, right you were. Nice win by Rosebud, first US boat in 30 years.

Racing costs money and it's not getting cheaper. Sailing the Mac is about $5k and that does not count the boat or sails.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weyalan View Post
There was unprecendented interest in this year's Melbourne -> Hobart and Launceston -> Hobart races. I feel that this does genuinely reflect the continued interest in off-shore racing but the economic reality that the Sydney -> Hobart has become achievable only for pretty much professional sponsored boats. Hopefully the interest will continue and a degree of normaility / perspective can be maintained so that "weekend warriors" like me can still participate in offshore racing on a reasonable (i.e. tiny) budget.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sydney