Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2012, 19:44   #1

Boat: Symbol 55 Pilot House
Storing manuals and paper

Hi folks,
I have a lot of manuals and other paperwork that I want to store securely on the boat in some sort of organized fashion. Right now, I've used some three ring binders with dividers, and a waterproof container, but it's wasteful of space.

I'm hoping to find a folding file or something similar that is a bit more space-efficient, and waterproof.

Any suggestions appreciated.
notz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 20:03   #2

Boat: Pilgrim 40
Send a message via Yahoo to nitpik Send a message via Skype™ to nitpik
Re: Storing manuals and paper

I am sure if you Google it, you will find a variety of filing systems, including waterproof ones, but they will all take up space on your boat.
Have you considered gradually converting them all to PDF's and storing them on your computer or tablet? Most of the manuals you are likely to have on the boat are available as pdf downloads, and most are free.
Once on your computer, it is also much easier to search for a given item, using "Find", "Spotlight" etc.
- just a thought
Old 11-03-2012, 20:03   #3

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9

Why not scan it all in and store it electronically? Takes up far less space and can be backed up to the cloud. (For cloud backup, check out www.crasphplan.com)

If you want to be able to access it easily, a good scanner can scan to PDF and then with a tablet or computer you could easily access them on the boat. Save space, weight and don't worry about damage to the materials..

just my 2 cents.. obviously there is a cost to my suggestion above, but I think the benefits are worth it.
maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 20:23   #4

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

We have all ours on Connies Puter. As suggested above in PDF form. I also Vacume Sealed all the manuals and ships papers. They can be opened when needed to ck into a port or for the Costies to Ck. and resealed to protect them. I keep ships papers and our personal papers handie right next to the overboard bag, for quick getaways LOL Just my 2 cents I do it this way cus I love paper LOL
Old 11-03-2012, 20:34   #5

Boat: Symbol 55 Pilot House

Thanks folks. I have them all scanned already, but there are some things you just don't want to be without, or have to boot up a computer or find a tablet when things are nasty, wet, etc.

I have looked online for various things, and they are all very large, as nitpik indicated. I think for now I'll stick with the scanned or downloaded copies in PDF form, and keep searching for something. Vacuum packing sounds like a neat idea, at least for some things.
notz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 20:55   #6

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Get a map chest (same idea as a flat file) and have one drawer for manuals and critical paper work and the other for paper charts.

Assuming you use paper charts, of course.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 23:19   #7

A pvc tube with threaded ends that can be screwed shut works well. Roll them up, toss em in and store the whole thing wherever it fits.
ChrisnCate is offline   Reply With Quote