Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-07-2016, 18:26   #61

Boat: Pearson 34-II
Re: I call BullS$!T on that.

<head> <title>Introduction to the junk-rigged Corribee Mingming
Old 17-07-2016, 18:36   #62

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanride007 View Post
Took me many years (10) to get my dream. Seems so silly now. Now the excuse is, I,ve got to do this important task. At least I can say when I fix something, its better than before and that job shouldn't come back. Still I hope, that I am not a serial avoider, will know soon enough.
My time line....
1949... my first memory of life ( this time around) ... in a boat with my dad on Albert Park Lake.
1957 .. my first boat... 10'
1960.. decided I wanted to cross oceans in small boats.
1969.. bought a Heron dinghy... saw a photo of 'Vertue XXXV' in Hiscock's 'Voyaging under Sail'.. decide I wanted a Vertue.
1984 bought a Vertue.. read Roth's 'Two against the Horn', planned to sail to Chile
1990 -ish realised I would never be going to S America in my Vertue.
1994 bought my present boat, delivered it to Oz from Thailand
2003 left Oz bound Chile .....

10 years?? Phhhhhhht..
Old 17-07-2016, 18:45   #63

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
I hear it all the time, "I've been dreaming of cruising for years, but I just can't save up $300K for my dream Catamaran or $150K for my dream mono."

Well I'm calling BullS$!! on the "I can't afford the boat I want" excuse right here and now. Stop using the "Dream Boat Myth" as an excuse and get a boat you can afford and go. It seems that lately every time I'm on the web (often now to take breaks from the Teak Deck Redo Project) I'm seeing cruise capable boats ready to go. Heck and this one is even down in paradise where you want to be for heavens sake!

https://www.facebook.com/sarahh.aloh...s/890162102003

Folks...you are not getting any younger, the the zero interest rates are not helping your fixed income investments get any better and the world is not going to be getting any more "stable" than it is right now.

Sure, everyone has timing issues and responsibilities that they can't just walk away from, but this "Dream Boat Myth" keeps more people from taking the plunge than almost anything else, don't let it happen to you.

There....consider that your motivational kick in the A$$ for the week.
Now back to the teak deck project for me..."Dream Boat"...ya right...there is no such thing!
GO RICH!!!...I've been shot down, in flames, over enemy lines a few times now for calling BS. We have a lot of people here whose avatar reads something like "currently looking" or "just over the horizon" or, or, or. They spend a lot of time here telling others what or what not to do. Drives me batty. It's down right pathetic, really! They're the ones doing boat comparisons on the Mono and Cat threads. I've never seen one of them do a damn thing for years.
As far as timing issues...that's a crock too. I know people with 50 accumulated weeks of vacation time but "can't get away". For gawd sakes, grow a pair. I started cruising 3 years before I retired. I simply quit my job and when I got back found another.
Nobody is saying you have to slip the lines and sail around the world with a million saved up. Just do big circles around your area to start.
I've post this link to my blog before and here it is again.

Adventures of Joli' Elle: What you really need to go cruising Or Is this love or boat envy

That article is more true now then when I wrote it 2 1/2 years ago. The problem is....EGO! They have to have the biggest, baddest, most envy'd bar of soap, Benehutalina or Lagopardina.
Ya sure...I want a large and fancy boat also. But I doubt I could sail one single handed and I doubt I could afford to maintain one.
I recently met a person that has been involved with multiu's his whole life and through hard work and a good career, has just stepped into a large Cat and will be back to cruising in his 50's. He seems to be the exception. If you have to wait years and years to go cruising, then either your sights are too unrealistic or you have no intention of actually going.
Many of you know Zee on the forum. While this may not be your exact style of cruising, she (yes a woman) has been out there awhile now. If she can do it, anyone can. I lucked out in real estate seeing the crash and sold out on the top and then bought back in at the bottom...so I have the best of both worlds now...a house paid off, no bills and a modest boat that is forgiving of my many mistakes.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2016, 19:08   #64
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan S View Post
We moved on board 3 weeks ago and I am putting my 3 months notice 12 hours from now. big changes for us
Bingo....I love.
Let us know just how crazy all of your friends and family think you are...it's almost part of the Cruiser Right of Passage, to be called Crazy, that's how you know you are on the right track!
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2016, 19:08   #65

[QUOTE=exkma367;2167857]Deb and I were hilltop in Georgetown, Exuma looking down at our $300.00 ebay Columbia 26 we had sailed down from Baltimore, when a Gunboat Cat sailed past our boat. We took a couple neat pictures as their beam was about equal to our total length. We were sitting in the bar later that day talking about what it would be like to have all that room and luxury. The group next to us at the bar overheard and introduced themselves as the crew of the Gunboat. They told us that as they passed our boat they commented to each other how nice it would be to have the freedom of a small low cost boat.

Just bought a C&C 31 today for $400.00. Great shape but sadly the motor is pooched.Time is flying by and I got two months to get it in the water with a motor from somewhere because I got 2,000 miles of freshwater to get to the ocean.I plan to bring tools and materials with me to construct as a sail.As long as I have a good hull and rigging, motor, food and my guitar, i'll be on my way. Nothing is going to stop me. Bin dreaming about this for over 40 years off and on, and now i got the freedom and I'm not going to let this journey slip by. Am I crazy ? Maybe. But so what,it's my life,and I'll do what I please with the rest of it, thank you very much.
Rorzech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2016, 20:03   #66

Boat: hydrostream

Just to defend the dreamers.. got another year or so at the grind while the cards fall in place (kids, school, house, retirement).. meanwhile i lurk, compare boats and read alot.. looked at several boats.. decided what I like and don't like in the range affordable. And yes dream.. Hopefully the world doesn't fall apart in the next year...
Old 17-07-2016, 20:05   #67

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by exkma367 View Post
Deb and I were hilltop in Georgetown, Exuma looking down at our $300.00 ebay Columbia 26 we had sailed down from Baltimore, when a Gunboat Cat sailed past our boat. We took a couple neat pictures as their beam was about equal to our total length. We were sitting in the bar later that day talking about what it would be like to have all that room and luxury. The group next to us at the bar overheard and introduced themselves as the crew of the Gunboat. They told us that as they passed our boat they commented to each other how nice it would be to have the freedom of a small low cost boat.

Our anchors were in the same sand, butts on the same bar stools, and hearts in the same place.
Yaaaaa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
we cannot spend time worrying on stuff we cannot change. all we get is regret and ulcers and early cardiac death.
Now there be some true words

Quote:
Originally Posted by exMaggieDrum View Post
I have to admit that I love working on my boat and making it "my" boat with everything working as it should be. I have no qualms about taking stuff out I don't think is necessary, whether it is working or not. But it seems I like boats in the 42' range and they often have a lot of different gear you would never want or need on a smaller boat.

My latest experience looking at the boats my friends (very picky ex-cruisers) have looked (close to a hundred boats) has been an eye-opener. They have yet to find that true bargan without an enormous about of "deferred maintenance" that would need to be addressed (for them) before pushing off.

I have helped rescue a couple of boats where they bought a "bargain" boat and the boat went to crap on them hundreds of miles from where they started. I also know that fixing (if need be) a boat in Mexico is much harder and more expensive than it is in a US home port.

However, there will be and have always been true bargains out there. And some very lucky people will find them and push off without a worry. And it is certainly possible to be a happy sailor with smaller less expensive boats. I just have a jaundiced eye for 42' ketches that are priced at $39k. Every time I ask for more pictures you see stuff you don't want to see. And sometimes they won't even send you a picture of stuff you need to see, like the motor, because they know it would be a deal killer.

But like I said, there are bargain boats out there that will get you to your version of paradise. Whoever is looking, good luck and godspeed.
I have been blessed (or cursed) with inexpensive boats. Maybe because a lot of people have not been taught how to work on things. First thing I look at is the engine and sails. Those are the 2 biggies. I had to completely rebuild mine but the price reflected that.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2016, 20:31   #68
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I have to agree with the opportunity to cruise without a huge boat or big money, but I also have to say that I'm not bothered by people that continue to speak of the dream and don't follow through.

My own parents often spoke of plans that they didn't finish,.... "we're going to move to the Alaskan wilderness!" ..... We're Moving to Arizona to raise exotic cacti!" ..... "We're going to live on a sailboat!"

They never did these things, but they did have a great marriage an fulfilling lives. I was twelve when I heard about the sailboat plan and it stuck with me. They ended up "land cruising" in an RV,- 'nothing wrong with that.
Old 17-07-2016, 20:39   #69

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Why in the world would anyone care about when or if someone else goes cruising. Or try and slam them by calling bulls$it. Is it to justify their own life decisions as the correct path? I see as many pump-up-my-chest I'm a real cruiser posts as I do I have a dream to sail around the world posts. They both often seem detached a bit from reality. So what.
"Reality" is relative to subjective experience. There is no rational or scientific threshold for "reality".
Old 17-07-2016, 20:55   #70

Boat: Gulfstar 37 Sloop

I believe that if other cruisers didn't call me out I wouldn't be going cruising. I would still be in the boat yard working on my boat and dreaming about it. I met several real cruisers that said bull $h$t to me... Thank You to the people who told me I was full of crap...
artisanmach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2016, 21:50   #71
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
Otoh, a lot of kids nowadays are making $250k+. The demand for engineers, os programmers, app developers, and so on are skyrocketing. Kids just need to learn skills that are in demand, not waste their time playing games and avoiding the STEM courses.
NO. Its not a lot of kids. Its less than 2% of kids.This kind of statement is only geared to students who have the abilities and skill set to be engineers and at the same time have the capacity to pay for college through parents or whatever.

In a million years I could never be a professional computer programmer even though I can do basic programming... it is not a natural skill for me nor something that I enjoy or would want to spend my life doing...
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2016, 22:14   #72

Boat: 'Shenoa' Hartley Tasman 27' bilge keeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
"Reality" is relative to subjective experience. There is no rational or scientific threshold for "reality".
"Reality - what a concept!" - Robin Williams

"The cure for anything is salt water... sweat, tears, or the sea" -- Isak Dinesen
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2016, 22:55   #73

Boat: MacGregor 26X

My dream is less than 25k.

I also can work from my boat.
charleshagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2016, 23:16   #74
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

There are two types of dreamers. Those entrenched in a life and wishing for something else, and those who actively work for the dream to change their life.

We all wish for something. Right now Rich is wishing that the Teak deck issue was resolved
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2016, 23:37   #75

Boat: kuiper 32

My first cruising yacht cost 2 grand and I had as much fun in that one if not more than the bigger more expensive one I have now,Bigger boats equal more maintenance and a lot more time.My engine parts for my overhaul cost almost as much as my first boat and when its back in it would have easily cost as much.
builder dan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal