Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-07-2016, 00:01   #76

Boat: Westerly Sealord
Re: I call BullS$!T on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
There are two types of dreamers. Those entrenched in a life and wishing for something else, and those who actively work for the dream to change their life.......
'All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.'

T. E. Lawrence
Old 18-07-2016, 00:01   #77

Boat: Skookum 53'

For example, maybe cruise Alaska.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	110.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	408.7 KB
ID:	127947   Click image for larger version

Name:	113.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	417.5 KB
ID:	127948  

Name:	114.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	417.3 KB
ID:	127949   Click image for larger version

Name:	122.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	418.7 KB
ID:	127950  

Name:	123.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	429.6 KB
ID:	127951   Click image for larger version

Name:	131.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	364.0 KB
ID:	127952  

Old 18-07-2016, 00:31   #78
cruiser

Why do these theads always degrade into the simplest, smallest boat is the best for cruising. I call that B.S., but I don't believe this is what Rich had in mind when he started the thread.

Everyone is different with different needs and wants. Just like everyone's dreams and realities are different. If WE didn't have the boat we have now.... WE wouldn't be out cruising from place to place six months of the year, and certainly, we wouldn't have discovered the Mediterranean. We'd probably still be stuck in Southern California aboard our Hunter with no place to go.

Let people dream, nothin' wrong with that.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2016, 03:32   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Why do these theads always degrade into the simplest, smallest boat is the best for cruising. I call that B.S., but I don't believe this is what Rich had in mind when he started the thread.

Everyone is different with different needs and wants. Just like everyone's dreams and realities are different. If WE didn't have the boat we have now.... WE wouldn't be out cruising from place to place six months of the year, and certainly, we wouldn't have discovered the Mediterranean. We'd probably still be stuck in Southern California aboard our Hunter with no place to go.

Let people dream, nothin' wrong with that.
I didn't see any degradation...just the normal thread drift.

You bought what you wanted and could afford and got going.

The OP was about people with champagne tastes, a beer budget, and an excuse for not going.
Old 18-07-2016, 03:57   #80

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Quote:
... his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.
Douglas Adams
Old 18-07-2016, 04:00   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingrid75 View Post
Yeah, but do you really want to go "cruising" on a boat without towel warmers, two deep freezes, full air conditioning, a 72" flat-screen, and gourmet island-style galley? Why, you'd be the laughing stock of the whole marina!
Marinas are for sissy's or for doing repairs that can't be done on the hook, and there aren't many. So who cares what the marina dwellers think..
Jsta_Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2016, 04:22   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingrid75 View Post
Yeah, but do you really want to go "cruising" on a boat without towel warmers, two deep freezes, full air conditioning, a 72" flat-screen, and gourmet island-style galley? Why, you'd be the laughing stock of the whole marina!
Next to a big cat in Uruguay some years ago..... almighty racket erupted from the boat with the wife giving the skipper all sorts of stick along the lines of 'how can you expect me to live on a boat where the washing machine ( I kid you not ) doesn't work!'

Poor bugger...antipodean ex military ... appeared on the Pingmobile seeking political marital asylum soon thereafter.... had to sedate him with alcohol.

Some of those fancy looking wives ..oops.. boats are very high maintenance.
Old 18-07-2016, 04:26   #83
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsta_Rebel View Post
Marinas are for sissy's or for doing repairs that can't be done on the hook, and there aren't many. So who cares what the marina dwellers think..
Marinas are for those that enjoy them; those that are making an easy commute to work; those that enjoy the amenities; and those that have no need to explain their choices.

We anchor out for long and short terms,- we stay at marinas for long and short terms. It depends on the season, the refit work, shopping, play or just our whim.

It's difficult for me to understand why so many think that there's only one right way to cruise. One of our greatest joys of our cruising life is the convergence of so many different people by wealth, boat type, philosophy, culture, politics and more. All sharing a common passion for "messing around with boats".
Old 18-07-2016, 04:32   #84

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48

I think that possibly one of the factors that comes into play on whether to buy a boat, to actually cast off the dock lines and go, etc, comes down to a basic function of human nature. I think, in terms of things that we do where we have a choice, we do what we want to do. There are those who really want to go cruising and go. There are others who want to talk about cruising and don't go. There's nothing wrong with that - those people are just doing what they want to do. Some people like to complain - you know the type - they do it all the time. Some people like to have their boat configured a certain way with certain equipment - it's their prerogative to make it any way they want and if it interrupts, delays or even prevents their going cruising, that's their preference. Of course, some people will deny that their preference is to own a cruising sailboat that never leaves the dock but I maintain that if they really wanted to go, they would.

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2016, 04:36   #85
CLOD

Boat: none

When people say they "can't" go cruising without "X" or "Y" if just means they can't go cruising in the style they wish. There's nothing wrong with that except to others for some reason (envy probably).
Old 18-07-2016, 04:40   #86

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

In my life I've dealt with a pretty wide range of economic/social levels. One thing I've found they all have in common is that they are the "normal". The guy that makes $40k a year just as strongly as the guy that makes $120k a year claims he is the "working class". Everyone below them "made bad choices" and everyone above them wipes with gold embroidered toilet paper.

For me cruising has become a way I could retire and travel the world (which is what my dream is) which I couldn't afford if I kept a residence in the States and just traveled. Finding out I enjoyed sailing was just a bonus. I've just purchased the boat and started work on it. I have a wish list spreadsheet built and if I continue to work for the next 9 years (still having me leave in my mid 50's) then I will be setting pretty. But I have alternative plans to leave as soon as tomorrow if something changes (for example job loss). Lot less bells and whistles but still liveable. The important thing to me is that both alternatives mean I'll be able to explore and find the less traveled to spots.

One thing I've noticed living in "retirement" locations around the world is that a lot of retirees feel lost when they quit the job. They spend their whole working career with a 4x6 photo of some exotic location taped in their cubicle. And when they get there finally, they are bored in 6 months. Maybe these "dreamers" that never go are just looking for something to fill their day which uses a little of their previous job skills (project management, organization, estimating,) and give them something to talk about while they relax at the marina bar & grill watching the sunset. They feel productive, get outside and are active. So even if they never untie it's done what is needed for them.

And this thread hasn't drifted enough, we haven't even mentioned "real cruisers" and the definition yet...
Old 18-07-2016, 04:49   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
Marinas are for those that enjoy them; those that are making an easy commute to work; those that enjoy the amenities; and those that have no need to explain their choices.

We anchor out for long and short terms,- we stay at marinas for long and short terms. It depends on the season, the refit work, shopping, play or just our whim.

It's difficult for me to understand why so many think that there's only one right way to cruise. One of our greatest joys of our cruising life is the convergence of so many different people by wealth, boat type, philosophy, culture, politics and more. All sharing a common passion for "messing around with boats".
I'm just getting ready to make my morning commute to work all be it 5 minutes. You know, wife takes me ashore, drops me off, and I goto work. Amenities? like what? Internet, hot water, fresh water, electricity?. I have all of these on the hook and don't have to shell out cash monthly for some slip in a marina and the rules that go along with them.

Your assumption stating I was "telling others how to cruise" is not only incorrect sir, but is perfect timing on this thread. I was simply pointing out that what those who chose to live in marinas think makes absolutely no difference as I said in my post you quoted. Wealth, or whatever has nothing to do with cruising and enjoying the freedom that we all seem to desire. If you want to live on a dock and day cruise around I really don't care. So why should you care that I travel island to island living on the hook and living free which is something that I just can't do in some Marina.

Thank You, and have a nice day!
Jsta_Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2016, 05:25   #88
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsta_Rebel View Post
I'm just getting ready to make my morning commute to work all be it 5 minutes. You know, wife takes me ashore, drops me off, and I goto work. Amenities? like what? Internet, hot water, fresh water, electricity?. I have all of these on the hook and don't have to shell out cash monthly for some slip in a marina and the rules that go along with them.

Your assumption stating I was "telling others how to cruise" is not only incorrect sir, but is perfect timing on this thread. I was simply pointing out that what those who chose to live in marinas think makes absolutely no difference as I said in my post you quoted. Wealth, or whatever has nothing to do with cruising and enjoying the freedom that we all seem to desire. If you want to live on a dock and day cruise around I really don't care. So why should you care that I travel island to island living on the hook and living free which is something that I just can't do in some Marina.

Thank You, and have a nice day!
Great! This says so much more than, "Marinas are for sissy's". We likely share much in agreement.
Old 18-07-2016, 05:58   #89

Boat: 1978 Pearson 424 Ketch

Dreams are not reality. A dream has a theme, but it is always painted with a glamor. Some people have a dream and make a vision of it, knowing that reality won't be as glamorous as the dream. With that vision, they set out to accomplish it. realizing the costs along the way. Not just the monitory costs, but the life style costs...what they will have to give up, in the life they are living at present...ie...certain luxuries, different perceived securities. As they follow the path of that vision, it will become more clear, just what that vision will entail. Some will realize the cost is too much....weather monetarily or life style wise. Some of those may find a new vision to pursue and some will settle for dock life and go back to dreaming. Some people will never see the vision of their dreams and either join the dreamer at the dock or hang at the edge of it. Fear is the one thing that keeps the Dream from becoming a vision and hence a reality. Fear is not a bad thing, it just is. For some those fears are insurmountable, for others they are just caution lights, telling them, there is something that needs more attention.

Some people are happy to live their lives as they are and have dreams for their entertainment. Others fight to get the glamour of their dreams and suffer. Some turn their dreams into visions and go off to adventure. Some go off and find the costs are too high and return to dream a new vision or they realize how wonderful the life they had truly was.

No mater what the dream/vision, no mater the success or failure, no mater the material or social status. none of it has a bearing on happiness. That is only a decision. Decide to be happy and you are. Of course, being able to make that decision takes a little work on ones self ;-) and the only cost there is Self honesty, which has a pretty high cost, but the profit is infinite.

PEACE LUV & HAPPINESS
tinkrman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2016, 06:01   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjm View Post
It's an escapist fantasy for a lot of people. They aren't doing it because they don't actually want to. They enjoy thinking and talking and dreaming about it though.
Most people are talkers, not doers.

This applies to boats as well as anything else.
cruisersfarm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal