Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2023, 15:27   #46

Boat: Morgan 382
Re: Starlink Roam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunkonwatch View Post
I hope this is all CF bull. Elon’s ego savvy business instincts greed wants to see them everywhere at the highest price he can sell them for wouldn’t jump to conclusions about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuck View Post
There, FIFY
There. FIFY again.
Old 17-03-2023, 06:54   #47

Boat: Beneteau 411

Quote:
$200/month is still a bargain.
$200 today, $250 soon, $300 soon after that.

RV was $120 less than a year ago, $130 a few months ago, and $150 today. Plenty of bait and switch.
WE9V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2023, 07:03   #48

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergius View Post
At least for me there FAQ states:

Now that they specifically mention “land use” I wouldn’t rely on Starlink Roam being available for boats much longer.
I really don’t see this happening. In our marina alone out of 70 boats 20’of them have starlink. Most of the full time cruisers have them now. That starts to add up quite rapidly, I would say that if that did come into effect he would loose a large number of customers and a lot of his revenue. He is a business man and won’t risk loosing that. I can see the price going up but to be honest I’d pay $200 -$300 a month for the benefits it gives as a remote working professional.

I think a lot of people are getting worried over nothing when it comes to land use. Technically you shouldn’t be using the rv version anyways as it’s an FCC licensing violation that’s why the standard antenna stops working at 8 knotts

Amazon just announced their offerings so soon there will be some competition. What will happen is everyone will bounce back and forth just like we did when we bought dish or Hugh’s net satellite TV
RedneckRedcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2023, 07:49   #49

Boat: Shannon 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by WE9V View Post

RV was $120 less than a year ago, $130 a few months ago, and $150 today. Plenty of bait and switch.
I don't think that term means what you think it means.

"Bait and Switch" is a con where you are offered product A at price X but instead you receive product C. There is no "switch" here.

Instead, this is a simple case of a business raising its prices because they can. Businesses do this all the time whether its tires, airplane tickets, internet service, cell phone plans, the price of freaking apples in the supermarket FFS. Basically every seller of every product experiments with raising (and sometimes lowering) prices to achieve higher profits.

This is not "bait and switch".
jordanbigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2023, 09:13   #50

Boat: ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckRedcoat View Post
I really don’t see this happening. In our marina alone out of 70 boats 20’of them have starlink. Most of the full time cruisers have them now. That starts to add up quite rapidly, I would say that if that did come into effect he would loose a large number of customers and a lot of his revenue. He is a business man and won’t risk loosing that. I can see the price going up but to be honest I’d pay $200 -$300 a month for the benefits it gives as a remote working professional.

I think a lot of people are getting worried over nothing when it comes to land use. Technically you shouldn’t be using the rv version anyways as it’s an FCC licensing violation that’s why the standard antenna stops working at 8 knotts

Amazon just announced their offerings so soon there will be some competition. What will happen is everyone will bounce back and forth just like we did when we bought dish or Hugh’s net satellite TV

and this is huge..

while Amazon Kuiper rather far behind (they plan to start service in 2024..and i do *not* believe they have a single satellite in orbit) them being in the market is critical.
i believe they plan to offer tiers...up to Giga+ speeds.. and them being "amazon" they should have no problems making themselves known/competing with Starlink.
they really is no downside to competition...

(unless you want future monopolistic behaviors from starlink)
chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2023, 13:32   #51

Boat: Vagabond 47

I am currently cruising in Mexico with a Starlink I bought here. It's amazing:

1. Equipment costs half as much as the US.
2. Service costs half as much as the US.
3. Service works 30nm offshore in the Pacific.
4. Service works everywhere in the Sea of Cortez where you can get 100nm offshore when crossing.
chris5977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2023, 16:00   #52

Boat: Morgan 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckRedcoat View Post

People didn't see portability changing from something that just worked to something that only worked if you paid extra, or the discontinuing of portability altogether either, or the raising of prices, or a separate product for in motion use.

Use on boats isn't going away, and probably won't be prohibitively expensive. But, like the roam add on, there will likely be an add on for use offshore.
Old 17-03-2023, 16:04   #53

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by WE9V View Post

RV was $120 less than a year ago, $130 a few months ago, and $150 today. .

The end user sets the price

If enough end users drop out the price must come down to meet the market
But while people keep piling in, happy to pay, prices will rise.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2023, 03:06   #54

Boat: Morgan, West Indies 38 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
If your work all the math, and assume new equipment professionally installed (most Cruisers would need an HF to be professionally installed of good performance) The Iridium Go! is cheaper for 15-20 years. Only after that time do the subscription costs total the upfront cost of an HF system. HF equipment is very expensive. Of course, the technically inclined cruiser that is a HAM could find used gear and do it cheaper, but even then the Go! is cheaper for a few years.

Starlink is not a substitute for a Go!. Period, no ifs or buts. In another recent thread, there was discussion of Starlink being involved with a rescue, which is great. But the crew of the sunken vessel were in their liferaft with a Go!, communicating with another vessel with an Inreach. If they had ditched the Go! in favor of S/L, they might be dead now.

Starlink is going through round after round of price hikes, and increasing restrictions. Iridium is a known quantity, both in cost, and that you know the service will be there when you need it.

Off the shelf yes, but not through active opportunist channels. Fellow puddle jumpers is putting his setup together right now in La Paz. Radio, tuner, and Pactor modem total cost was $25.
Radio free from fellow cruiser
Tuner $25 from swap meet
Pactor modem free from me
akopac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2023, 03:19   #55

Interesting video attached. Not sure I’d change Starlink plan. I got a RV roaming plan in MX for relatively cheap. I wouldn’t change the plan quit yet. I’m waiting to see what happens after I jump the puddle.
https://youtu.be/anr2-FAb5ks
Old 18-03-2023, 06:13   #56

Boat: Boatless but working on it

That’s great if you remain within a continent. What happens when you start crossing oceans and/or borders from one continent to the next?
Can you forward your existing service to a new address in another country?
Alistair242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2023, 07:37   #57

Boat: ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair242 View Post
That’s great if you remain within a continent. What happens when you start crossing oceans and/or borders from one continent to the next?

what's curious is the "maritime" hardware seems to be the same flat high performance(in motion) starlink with the same flat mount some of us already have...with the same wifi router that many of us also don't need/use..

the curious part is you CAN "pause" the $1000/mo maritime plan...
if you need that "priority" when crossing an ocean that 1 month in your life.. you have it.
my question...

..is when cruising.. we SHOULD be able down grade to a "no priority" roam plan... right?
and flip side... if you have the "in motion" starlink.. it SHOULD be good for the maritime plan, right?

(my plan is currently paused.. and i just see a "resume service" button on app..nothing about changing plans)

my opinion, the writing is on the wall that residential/business/portability plans will be seeing enforcement of geofencing
chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2023, 12:12   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair242 View Post
Interesting you should mention that. I ran into a fellow cruiser who went from the UK across and down thru the Panama Canal, then up to MX. Never lost Starlink access.
But then there was the recent puddle jump incident with the whale and they seem to have had Starlink access too. https://www.latitude38.com/lectronic...whale-pacific/
Old 18-03-2023, 13:52   #59
CLOD

Boat: none

here is the thing

if you can not handle the idea that the terms of Stark Link may change (boater using the RV system are already not following the terms) THEN ............just don't get it
Old 18-03-2023, 15:24   #60

Boat: Catalina 42

SpaceX has been pouring investment into deploying thousands of Starlink satellites and the accompanying ground gateway infrastructure. At the moment, and for some time to come, they simply have no incentive to put up barriers to new users. Every new subscriber brings highly-sought revenue.

While government barriers are the biggest hurdle, they are currently hiding behind the fig leaf of "terms of service" to restrict use of the system. Unless and until they start pushing up against overall constellation capacity, I'm betting on things staying pretty loose. Geofencing and similar tactics will just lose customers.

But of course things can change. In the meantime, might as well enjoy the access.
Off Trail is offline   Reply With Quote