Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2023, 11:59   #31

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler
Re: Starlink Roam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair242 View Post
No, I see there is now coverage around Australia but not in SE Asia. Still not worth it for us to dive in until it is available in Indonesia and the rest of SE Asia and then across the Indian Ocean.
It's not worth it if you marina hop and stay close to civilization

Well worth it for us who never sees a marina and travels further out where there is no mobile reception.

We haven't had mobile phone reception for over a month but have Starlink belting in.

Things are changing rapidly
Phillipines has full coverage now, Malaysia will soon, others will likely be close behind.

Add: I can order Starlink in Indonesia and Malaysia now on the Starlink page.

https://www.commsupdate.com/articles...komsat-tie-up/
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2023, 12:04   #32

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanbigel View Post
Still too dear for most of us, me for example. Most (most, not all) full-time cruisers are living on something between US$20k - $40k/year - at $500/month that's $6,000 or somewhere between 30% and 15% of total annual budget.

In my opinion, you won't see many takers among full time cruisers at these levels. Part-time cruisers maybe. At the current $150/mo the RV version costs $1,800/year which is more like 4% - 8% of total annual cruising budget - still a big hit, but manageable for many.
Agree 100%.

I wonder though, what would Starlink make think that cruisers on the water, say up to 15nm of a remote coast, have more money to spend than a person in a RV in a remote location.
Old 16-03-2023, 12:55   #33

Boat: Boatless but working on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
It's not worth it if you marina hop and stay close to civilization

Well worth it for us who never sees a marina and travels further out where there is no mobile reception.

We haven't had mobile phone reception for over a month but have Starlink belting in.

Things are changing rapidly
Phillipines has full coverage now, Malaysia will soon, others will likely be close behind.

Add: I can order Starlink in Indonesia and Malaysia now on the Starlink page.

https://www.commsupdate.com/articles...komsat-tie-up/
Certainly if you are on the coast all of the time. But what about crossing oceans, specifically the Indian Ocean and all of Asia outside of the Philippines and Japan?
Which part of Australia are you at now?
As said, not worth it for us until we have guaranteed service in Indonesia and beyond. I imagine that we will revisit it later this year or next year.
Alistair242 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2023, 12:58   #34

As you say, it is changing rapidly, including talk of the possibility of geo blocking on oceans unless you have the maritime package. They state that the Roam service is not for use off land or on the water. So for many it is a big outlay without knowing for sure if they will be able to use it in the near future.
Old 16-03-2023, 13:07   #35

Quote:
Certainly if you are on the coast all of the time. But what about crossing oceans, specifically the Indian Ocean and all of Asia outside of the Philippines and Japan?

As said, not worth it for us until we have guaranteed service in Indonesia and beyond. I imagine that we will revisit it later this year or next year.

People crossed oceans for centuries without internet
It's a nice to have, but apparently not essential.

Don't put off your dreams waiting on what may or may not happen

Quote:
Which part of Australia are you at now?
QLD east coast about 60 miles out
Into our 3rd week and trying for 4, perfect weather
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20230317_060819.jpg
Views:	405
Size:	406.3 KB
ID:	272869  
Old 16-03-2023, 13:08   #36

BTW I would love to have it and be able to do away with our cell expander setup. It works fine when in range but having fast internet everywhere including on the ocean away from land at a reasonable cost would be too good to pass up. Iridium go is reliable for weather and communication.
Sounds great but as of now no service through Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand and across the Indian Ocean and Africa(outside of Nigeria).
When its available and you are able to cross continents with it I will sign up.
Old 16-03-2023, 13:10   #37

Quote:
People crossed oceans for centuries without internet
It's a nice to have, but apparently not essential.

Don't put off your dreams waiting on what may or may not happen

QLD east coast about 60 miles out
Into our 3rd week and trying for 4
Very nice. Yes, we do not rely on it at all outside of getting weather info. It is great to have but we are just as happy to push ahead as planned without SL for now.
Old 16-03-2023, 13:12   #38

Quote:
Very nice. Yes, we do not rely on it at all outside of getting weather info. It is great to have but we are just as happy to push ahead as planned without SL for now.
A $100 portable hf radio gets BOM weather reports.
You don't need Starlink, as I said, boats have crossed oceans for centuries without it.
Old 16-03-2023, 13:17   #39

Quote:
A $100 portable hf radio gets BOM weather reports.
You don't need Starlink, as I said, boats have crossed oceans for centuries without it.
I think you misunderstood. We do not think we need it at all right now and will only consider it when it becomes a more viable option to Iridium.

Of course we plan to continue on our way if it does become available or not. Our current setup is more than adequate.
Many other cruisers will feel the same way I am sure.
Old 16-03-2023, 13:51   #40

Quote:
I think you misunderstood. We do not think we need it at all right now and will only consider it when it becomes a more viable option to Iridium.

Of course we plan to continue on our way if it does become available or not. Our current setup is more than adequate.
No, I understand
I just don't get the cellfigo and iridium thing.
It very likely costs as much if not more than SL and provides naff all in way of a decent service - like two cans and some string
Yeah, I know iridium works for weather if crossing an ocean but so does the $100 HF apparently

Quote:
Many other cruisers will feel the same way I am sure
I know many cruisers who have ditched cellfigo and iridium now that the prices have risen in favour of SL
Old 16-03-2023, 14:32   #41

Boat: Morgan 382

Quote:
No, I understand
I just don't get the cellfigo and iridium thing.
It very likely costs as much if not more than SL and provides naff all in way of a decent service - like two cans and some string
Yeah, I know iridium works for weather if crossing an ocean but so does the $100 HF apparently

I know many cruisers who have ditched cellfigo and iridium now that the prices have risen in favour of SL
If your work all the math, and assume new equipment professionally installed (most Cruisers would need an HF to be professionally installed of good performance) The Iridium Go! is cheaper for 15-20 years. Only after that time do the subscription costs total the upfront cost of an HF system. HF equipment is very expensive. Of course, the technically inclined cruiser that is a HAM could find used gear and do it cheaper, but even then the Go! is cheaper for a few years.

Starlink is not a substitute for a Go!. Period, no ifs or buts. In another recent thread, there was discussion of Starlink being involved with a rescue, which is great. But the crew of the sunken vessel were in their liferaft with a Go!, communicating with another vessel with an Inreach. If they had ditched the Go! in favor of S/L, they might be dead now.

Starlink is going through round after round of price hikes, and increasing restrictions. Iridium is a known quantity, both in cost, and that you know the service will be there when you need it.
Old 16-03-2023, 14:49   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
If your work all the math, and assume new equipment professionally installed (most Cruisers would need an HF to be professionally installed of good performance) The Iridium Go! is cheaper for 15-20 years. Only after that time do the subscription costs total the upfront cost of an HF system. HF equipment is very expensive. Of course, the technically inclined cruiser that is a HAM could find used gear and do it cheaper, but even then the Go! is cheaper for a few years.
I did say $100 portable
I have a sihuadon d808 that has been getting weather from 1000 miles away with no issues.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/27559744...Bk9SR8CjmcbdYQ

Quote:
Starlink is not a substitute for a Go!.
I never said it was
I said that the $100 hf may well be if all you are after is weather.
Old 16-03-2023, 14:49   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunkonwatch View Post
I hope this is all CF bull. Elon’s ego savvy business instincts wants to see them everywhere wouldn’t jump to conclusions about it.
There, FIFY
Old 16-03-2023, 15:07   #44

Boat: Shannon 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuck View Post
There, FIFY
Isn't it possible he has a massive ego and good business instincts at the same time?

Also, isn't it possible he has a massive ego, good business instincts, and is a massive buffoon and an effing waste of life? Yes, I think it is possible.
jordanbigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2023, 15:22   #45

Boat: Morgan 382

Quote:
I did say $100 portable
I have a sihuadon d808 that has been getting weather from 1000 miles away with no issues.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/27559744...Bk9SR8CjmcbdYQ

I never said it was
I said that the $100 hf may well be if all you are after is weather.
I didn't (and don't) see the word portable, maybe I missed it earlier in the thread. Apologies there. A portable HF receiver will get you *very* minimal weather-not anything I would consider except as a backup/emergency. And if offers nothing for emergency communication. IMHO, it is almost useless. There is no comparison between the Go! and an HF receiver, even only considering weather.