Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-07-2019, 05:37   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 34
SSCA to double fees..

SSCA NEARLY DOUBLES THE ANNUAL DUES!
This is ABSOLUTELY PREPOSTEROUS! The SSCA Board of Directors has voted to increase the ANNUAL DUES for a cruising couple from $75 USD (which was already way too high) to a whopping $110 USD. Also, they have tacked-on a 2019 SURCHARGE of $15 USD to all couples - which only adds insult to injury. ALL SSCA members should join together and not only REFUSE to pay this unwarranted fee, they should WITHHOLD their annual dues until this entire clown show that call themselves a Board of Directors RESIGNS!

HERE IS THE RECENT CORRESPONDENCE BY THE SSCA BOARD OF DIRECTORS ANNOUNCING A SIGNIFICANT DUES HIKE:

"SSCA has re-dedicated itself to providing support and assistance to all its members who aspire to its ideals of promoting cruising and leaving a clean wake for future cruisers. Future enhanced services to cruisers requires resources.

The Board approved proposals to adopt a more vibrant volunteer-based approach for present and future member services. In the process, the SSCA Directors agreed to a new contractual proposal from KFR that will result in more than 50% savings from prior SSCA outlays to KFR.

Volunteerism marked the founding and largest growth of SSCA and is essential to providing SSCA’s bright future with enhanced personal member-to-member support and assistance for all SSCA members.

The Board of Directors also reviewed financial expectations from our 3,000-member association. In an effort to create fairness in sharing the Association's financial burdens, all non-primary members (who previously have paid no dues) will be assessed a one-time fee of $15 for the current year to assist SSCA in providing its continued essential services and assistance to SSCA members. You will receive a separate email when the $15 has been charged to your account (if applicable). A payment due link will then be showing in your account where you can process a credit card payment or you can send a check to Home Base (SSCA, 500 Oakbrook Lane, Summerville, SC 29485).

Previously, only primary members have contributed dues. Their spouses and partners have not shared in the financing of our SSCA organization. A new dues adjustment was considered necessary to be more equitable with all members sharing in dues contributions. Accordingly, the seven directors of the SSCA unanimously voted for a fairer more equitable future, with a dual membership paying a greater share but slightly less than half the amount paid in a single membership. The Board determined that effective on each member’s future renewal date, each single member’s dues will be $75 and $110 for dual membership.

The SSCA remains an incredible value. We are built on volunteerism, from the Board of Directors, Event Coordinators and Committees to individual members who give their time and effort to make this a great organization hosting events or doing outreach. We have Seven Seas U to enrich our knowledge along with seminars, HAM radio exams, HF radio net, resource links, the website document library and periodicals. We can take advantage of over 30 partners (and growing) who offer discounts on hardware, marinas, towing, publications, marinas and other things. Perusing the website offers the opportunity to return your investment two fold or more and the events and camaraderie are priceless! Find out how hooking up with a host through our port guides can make you trip not only easier but special or relax and read your free copy of Ocean Navigator. Attend a gathering or have one of your own, get advice or extend your knowledge to others, the list goes on and on.

All of this does come with a cost and while we know your funds are precious, we think you will find the SSCA is a resource and a community that is far more valuable than the price.

This is why we need your help to continue to improve and advance the SSCA. To bring all these benefits, all this knowledge and all this fun costs money. Please, contribute that $15 for your partner or spouse to continue their membership benefits, contribute some time as a volunteer, feel the fellowship like never before! Like membership drives for many non-profit organizations, we rely on our members to keep the lights on and the Association running.

Thank you and see you out there!

Respectfully,

Ed Kelly, President
& Your SSCA Board of Directors
Rich Boren, Vice President
Marc Bodian, Treasurer
Jeff Gower, Director
Skip Gundlach, Director
Mike Hatton, Director
Anne Lloyd, Director"

ACT NOW - STOP THIS EXTORTION!
Tom & Lilly
S/V Tiger Lilly
Ile Mayotte, Comoro Archipelago, Mozambique Channel
AA3JY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2019, 05:52   #2

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: SSCA to double fees..

Interesting… I left the organization a few years ago when faced with another large increase in fees. It wasn’t the fee increase that drove me away, it was the lack of adequate explanation or information regarding the finances and strategic plans.

I finally managed to piece together some financial and membership data, and figured out that the organization was on a poor financial and membership trajectory. But when I raised these issues I was faced with no substantive response. So, I wished them well and moved on.

This current news is no surprise to me, but I still find it unfortunate to see the organization struggle. It has done some great things, and obviously fills a need for many cruisers. For me, there was just not enough value for money. And I suspect this move will drive a further nail in the coffin.
Old 18-07-2019, 06:57   #3

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Never joined, the signing up of members to advance in the organization seemed like a pyramid scheme to me. And what or who is KFR and what does it do?

"The Board approved proposals to adopt a more vibrant volunteer-based approach for present and future member services. In the process, the SSCA Directors agreed to a new contractual proposal from KFR that will result in more than 50% savings from prior SSCA outlays to KFR."
Old 18-07-2019, 07:06   #4

I suspect that they are going to be slapped in the face by the inevitable and inexorable law of supply and demand. You can no more avoid or control supply and demand than you can avoid or control gravity. If they increase the fees by 2/3rds then they need to increase the value to the members by a similar amount, or they will see their membership dwindle to nothingness.

Perhaps a complete change of the board of directors is needed. These seem to have been afflicted by the same disease that inevitably afflicts career politicians!
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2019, 08:06   #5

People who are good at math, but bad at economics, always think that doubling the price of something will bring in twice as much money.
Old 18-07-2019, 08:15   #6
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: SSCA to double fees..

Some folks are happy to pay just to belong to something.. for me it boils down to VFM.. these 'clubs' have nothing of value to me.
Its a status badge is all.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2019, 08:28   #7

Boat: Cartwright 36 Cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to SVTwilight

It is basically a pyramid scheme that a smart and well meaning Board of good people are trying to turn around.

Only 14% of the 3000 members are voting and many of those 14% like it that way. That 14% has basically run the organization almost into the ground.

I applaud the 6 new bylaws they are trying to pass to allow for a more inclusive organization.

I am also confident the price increase will help weed out shellbacks and whiners that are a clear drag on the organization.

Any member who does not like the price is openly welcome to put in some volunteer time to help reduce club expenses.

The club has a great seal to offer for the annual price of a couple of dinners out.

People have to weigh it for themselves.
SVTwilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2019, 08:44   #8

Boat: Boatless

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTwilight View Post
It is basically a pyramid scheme that a smart and well meaning Board of good people are trying to turn around.

Only 14% of the 3000 members are voting and many of those 14% like it that way. That 14% has basically run the organization almost into the ground.

I applaud the 6 new bylaws they are trying to pass to allow for a more inclusive organization.

I am also confident the price increase will help weed out shellbacks and whiners that are a clear drag on the organization.

Any member who does not like the price is openly welcome to put in some volunteer time to help reduce club expenses.

The club has a great seal to offer for the annual price of a couple of dinners out.

People have to weigh it for themselves.
I like this answer.

We belonged during our cruising years. Life changed so let it lapse. That being said 35.00 increase drives one away, perhaps that is a good thing?

Oh well.

HiHo

"Take it all in, it's as big as it seems, count all your blessings, remember your dreams" JB
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2019, 08:59   #9

I had no idea they were even a "thing" anymore. I've not heard that name in 20 years.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2019, 09:27   #10

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Some folks are happy to pay just to belong to something.. for me it boils down to VFM.. these 'clubs' have nothing of value to me.
Its a status badge is all.
I’ve been in leadership roles in a number of large volunteer/member-service/nonprofits in the past. Members always complain about fees, and especially fee increases. But in the end it is rarely about the actual dollar figure. It’s exactly as Boatie says: Value for money.

If membership is still dropping (as it was when I left), then either there isn’t enough VFM, or the market for this kind of service-oriented club just isn’t large enough anymore. Either way, a fee increase is likely to produce the opposite effect.
Old 18-07-2019, 09:41   #11

Boat: Freedom 32'

Never heard of them. I'm always amazed people even bother with clubs, but that's me. What do these people do for you, what do you get in return for your money? Just curious.
Old 18-07-2019, 09:58   #12

What are the benefits of SSCA membership?

A monthly 48-page Commodores’ Bulletin containing reports of the latest and most current cruising information as well as announcements of SSCA Gams, upcoming Seven Seas U live webinars, and regional activities. The indexed, searchable, archived Bulletins are accessible online to members only. Sample Commodores' Bulletin

A member locater

The Equipment Survey - a highly regarded compilation of what real cruisers are using on their boats, including failure rates and repair costs.

Discounts on live webinars and anytime learning on Seven Seas University.

Worldwide Port Guides

An extensive list of SSCA Cruising Stations who welcome visiting members

Special offers and discounts from marine-related businesses that are available to members-only

Even at half the cost of the previous membership fee, I'm not really clear what they are bringing to the table. That is one expensive newsletter.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2019, 09:58   #13

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by AA3JY View Post
SSCA NEARLY DOUBLES THE ANNUAL DUES!
This is ABSOLUTELY PREPOSTEROUS! The SSCA Board of Directors has voted to increase the ANNUAL DUES for a cruising couple from $75 USD (which was already way too high) to a whopping $110 USD. . . .
That's not nearly double, that's not even a 50% increase.

I'm not trying to quibble with it being too much money, I'm pointing out that your excessive exaggeration make you look untrustworthy, people wonder what else you are exaggerating.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2019, 10:06   #14

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I’ve been in leadership roles in a number of large volunteer/member-service/nonprofits in the past. Members always complain about fees, and especially fee increases. But in the end it is rarely about the actual dollar figure. It’s exactly as Boatie says: Value for money.

If membership is still dropping (as it was when I left), then either there isn’t enough VFM, or the market for this kind of service-oriented club just isn’t large enough anymore. Either way, a fee increase is likely to produce the opposite effect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
What are the benefits of SSCA membership?

A monthly 48-page Commodores’ Bulletin containing reports of the latest and most current cruising information as well as announcements of SSCA Gams, upcoming Seven Seas U live webinars, and regional activities. The indexed, searchable, archived Bulletins are accessible online to members only. Sample Commodores' Bulletin

A member locater

The Equipment Survey - a highly regarded compilation of what real cruisers are using on their boats, including failure rates and repair costs.

Discounts on live webinars and anytime learning on Seven Seas University.

Worldwide Port Guides

An extensive list of SSCA Cruising Stations who welcome visiting members

Special offers and discounts from marine-related businesses that are available to members-only

Even at half the cost of the previous membership fee, I'm not really clear what they are bringing to the table. That is one expensive newsletter.
My sense is that in decades past they offered great value for the money, contact with other cruisers regarding equipment quality, and current local knowledge from around the world when there was no other centralized source for this info.

Now there is Noonsite and various other crowd-sourced knowledge sharing sites with a lot lower overhead.

I suspect they haven't adapted to the changes in technology and competition.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2019, 10:14   #15

Boat: Seafarer36c

I recently noticed that a friend of ours is a "captain" of a cruising outpost for SCCA in the Rio Dulce. Absolutely the perfect kind of person for the post. As an example he helped get a boat with an 8'2" draft over the bar, maybe a record. He knows just about everything going on in the area and he's a nice guy. This is one place where you could get some value, I've never seen another. We joined when we left San Fran and let it expire after the first year, it was just the burgee.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fees