Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-07-2019, 23:21   #61

Boat: Roberts 45
Re: SSCA to double fees..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
I've been following this thread with some interest, mostly due to my very long association with SSCA.

I joined a long time ago... somewhere around the mid 70s when I

[...]

But we now have CF!

Jim

Interesting insight, thanks Jim!
Not sure if I would compare it with this or any other forum, but hey, why not.
Old 30-07-2019, 03:11   #62
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

FWIW:
Ocean Cruising Club - To join the OCC as a Full (single) Member
Based on the information you provided (Yes to all questions) the following fees will be payable on joining:
First year annual subscription - £55.00 (±$67.10)
Joining Fee - £50.00 (±$61)
Where 1 Pound sterling £ equals $1.22 United States Dollar

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2019, 04:32   #63

Boat: Pearson 323

We should ask Skip on 'Flying Pig', I believe he is, or was, part of the group that makes decisions for SSCA. I know how he felt a year ago, I'd be interested in knowing his view of the organization today.
mjscottinnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2019, 08:09   #64

Boat: Seafarer 38C

Well I saw his boat anchored yesterday, may stop by and say HI to Skip
Old 30-07-2019, 19:04   #65

Boat: 1978 True North 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjscottinnc View Post
We should ask Skip on 'Flying Pig', I believe he is, or was, part of the group that makes decisions for SSCA. I know how he felt a year ago, I'd be interested in knowing his view of the organization today.

Skip is still on SSCA’s Board of Directors. Interesting discussion about SSCA and upcoming election initiatives on website: https://www.facebook.com/TomandLilly...36203499827336
Joe Abbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2019, 19:21   #66

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Abbott View Post
Skip is still on SSCA’s Board of Directors. Interesting discussion about SSCA and upcoming election initiatives on website: https://www.facebook.com/TomandLilly...36203499827336
Geez...just reading that FB post convinces me that SSCA is not something I want to be a part of.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2019, 20:36   #67

Boat: Northshore 33 ft sloop

I can work out the acronym KFR
for 'Kentucky Fried Rooster'
but what is SSCA ??
Maybe the only ones who subscribe to cruisers forum are
USA bread. HE He.
mawtty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2019, 20:45   #68

Boat: Northshore 33 ft sloop

OK
I Googled it and came up with
Safe Schools Association Australia.
I'm still in the dark.
Why so many acronyms?
It make reading the forum very tedious at times.
Horrible Horatio the Grumpy Australian.
mawtty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2019, 21:01   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawtty View Post
I can work out the acronym KFR
for 'Kentucky Fried Rooster'
but what is SSCA ??
Maybe the only ones who subscribe to cruisers forum are
USA bread. HE He.

Seven Seas Cruising Association (SSCA) - see website at https://www.ssca.org/

Free sample copy of their Commodores’ Bulletin at: https://www.ssca.org/docs.ashx?id=469521

Old 01-08-2019, 11:54   #70

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by AA3JY View Post
SSCA NEARLY DOUBLES THE ANNUAL DUES!

Some context is important. The SSCA Board of Directors consists of seven people elected to rotating three year terms. That means two or three new people each year. Officers (President, Vice President, Treasurer, Secretary) are elected by the Board from the Board for one year terms.

The last few Boards have lost a great deal of continuity. The loss is due in part to turnover on the Board and in part to transition from a full-time staff person to a management services company (KFR). In my opinion the Board has shown little interest in what has been tried in the past and whether that succeeded or not. They have become increasingly insular and uncommunicative. The Board is very sure their own opinions are representative of the entire cruising community.

I think they are wrong.

SSCA was once an important resource for cruisers. They/we have not kept up with the times. While other organizations like the Ocean Cruising Club (OCC) thrive SSCA has become increasingly irrelevant. This large increase in dues comes, as near as I can tell, as a result of declining membership and fixed costs. It is apparent that the organization is in its final decline.

Some of us have been talking about volunteerism levels for many years. Recent Boards have ignored us and indeed have pushed volunteers away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Never joined, the signing up of members to advance in the organization seemed like a pyramid scheme to me. And what or who is KFR and what does it do?

There is no pyramid scheme that I am aware of. For a few years there was an incentive to recruit members (one free month of membership for every new member recruited) but that was cancelled several years ago.

KFR is a management services company that was brought on to provide a deeper bench than our previous single employee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTwilight View Post
It is basically a pyramid scheme that a smart and well meaning Board of good people are trying to turn around.

I applaud the 6 new bylaws they are trying to pass to allow for a more inclusive organization.

I take issue with your characterization of the Board as smart and well meaning.

The proposed bylaws amendments may be well-intentioned but they do not meet the requirements for how to propose amendments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
What are the benefits of SSCA membership?

A monthly 48-page Commodores’ Bulletin containing reports of the latest and most current cruising information as well as announcements of SSCA Gams, upcoming Seven Seas U live webinars, and regional activities. The indexed, searchable, archived Bulletins are accessible online to members only. Sample Commodores' Bulletin

A member locater

The Equipment Survey - a highly regarded compilation of what real cruisers are using on their boats, including failure rates and repair costs.

Discounts on live webinars and anytime learning on Seven Seas University.

Worldwide Port Guides

An extensive list of SSCA Cruising Stations who welcome visiting members

Special offers and discounts from marine-related businesses that are available to members-only

At one time the SSCA Commodores' Bulletin was indeed a tremendous resource. With the explosion of the Internet that information is available in spades, mostly (not all) for free.

The member locator is out of date and broken.

The Equipment Survey was once another tremendous resource. It has fallen into decline and has not been maintained. A friend of mine tried to rescue it but there was no support from the Board.

The Port Guides are of poor quality and are not curated.

SSCA Cruising Stations are a tremendous value. Again, neglected by the Board.

The discounts are not very significant. We used to have hundreds. The SSCA member audience isn't worth going out of the way for businesses to attract any more.

Seven Seas U was, for a while, an outstanding value (added fees not withstanding). It simply isn't reliable or predictable enough any more.

I find the dues increase offensive and not good value for money. I don't have to worry about a decision to renew or not as this Board threw me out of SSCA for providing a forum for member communications the Board could not control.

sail fast and eat well, dave
Dave Skolnick S/V Auspicious
past Director, past Treasurer, past President, past member
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 12:50   #71

Boat: Rafiki 37

I think Dave's summation expresses well my own more distant observations. I've led similar large member-owned, volunteer driven organizations. I could tell the SSCA was headed down the wrong path a couple of years ago.

It looks like the slide has only accelerated.
Old 01-08-2019, 13:43   #72

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I think Dave's summation expresses well my own more distant observations. I've led similar large member-owned, volunteer driven organizations. I could tell the SSCA was headed down the wrong path a couple of years ago.

It looks like the slide has only accelerated.

Thanks Mike. It's hard for me to accept as I invested a lot of myself in SSCA, including organizing the largest Gam they ever had. I am deeply saddened by the decline and there is no joy in my prediction of their demise. Clearly the success of other groups like OCC, CA, and AGLCA indicates that there is room for the camaraderie and information sharing of collegial organizations. SSCA is not keeping up.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 14:33   #73

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Dave, thanks for summing it up so well. Your exposition expresses my feelings very well indeed. I too am sad to see what a once thriving and useful organization has become, and i'm sure that the founders would be sadder yet.

Jim
Old 01-08-2019, 18:50   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
SSCA was once an important resource for cruisers. They/we have not kept up with the times.

Some of us have been talking about volunteerism levels for many years.

The proposed bylaws amendments may be well-intentioned but they do not meet the requirements for how to propose amendments.

At one time the SSCA Commodores' Bulletin was indeed a tremendous resource. With the explosion of the Internet that information is available in spades, mostly (not all) for free.

I find the dues increase offensive and not good value for money. I don't have to worry about a decision to renew or not as this Board threw me out of SSCA for providing a forum for member communications the Board could not control.

sail fast and eat well, dave
Dave Skolnick S/V Auspicious
past Director, past Treasurer, past President, past member

The SSCA Commodores' Bulletin is essentially articles written by SSCA members that in many cases can be found ‘for free” on their own sailing websites. If the SSCA were to embrace its original intent, cruisers sharing information with other cruisers, the bulletin should be publicly available for all to see – like the OCC magazine and others.

Making the bulletins public might do more to promote the SSCA. Currently the old bulletins are outdated information and gathering dust as so very few, if any, are read today.
  • - The ballot initiative to change the Commodores' Bulletin name to Cruisers’ Bulletin – reflects lack of knowledge of the origins of the SSCA. The term Commodore was a jest/joke title in derogatory reference to formal sailing organizations and yacht clubs – the name of the bulletin reflected this. If this ballot measure is approved, another original facet of the organization goes to rest down in Davey Jones’ locker.

The “new’ SSCA Member Locator Map is available to SSCA members only after login. Check out the Ocean Cursing Club member Fleet Locator Map it proudly reflects where their members are today to the public – what a promotional concept – the SSCA should learn from this. Oh, you don’t need to belong to a dues paying group to use MarineTraffic website.

The ongoing SSCA “feud” or personality/political squabbling is not reflective of today’s cruisers. It appears most have forgot the “fun” of getting together with your fellow cruisers for an evening get together – the infamous “cockpit” gatherings - this mindset is lacking in the SSCA structure and organization sadly.

The controversy and punitive actions on the creation of the SSCA “Members Only” Facebook group - this new site is essentially “dead” – number of daily posts = “0”. What is humorous is few realized the creation of a similar site (not BOD moderated) was done before and still exists - Seven Seas Cruising Association. As to the SSCA membership “data” breach by another ousted member – the SSCA.org website allowed complete and unfettered access to its files back in February before it was corrected – been there and saw it.

Most seafaring types know how to make a mess of tying knots – this is what the SSCA “Bylaws” has become, a knotted mess. The “Bylaws” need to be changed to focus on “fun”, not “business”. Try to mimic the structure of the original organizations intent – friendly, mutually respectful, cockpit associations where “ALL” are Commodores in a fellowship without hierarchy – only stipulation is you need a liveaboard boat to get to where the “group” gathers. Seriously doubt this will ever happen.

Tis a fool’s errand to toss 2-cents into this pot………but I never claimed to not be a fool as I did buy a boat.

Tags
fees