Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-06-2016, 15:01   #1
cruiser

Sometimes The Best Thing to do

Today, I found myself anchoring eight times solo in the same anchorage due in large part to a couple of anchorage hogs taking up the entire area by having deployed 300ft of chain each in an anchorage only 15ft deep.

Right in the middle of the mayhem, after taking up the anchor for the fourth time in an hour, my windlass overheated, shut down and left me drifting into the mooring field to become somewhat tangled with two underwater mooring lines and cement blocks as big as a car.

So what did I do? I dumped 60ft of chain manually along with the anchor and went below for an hour to take a "time out" and have a coffee to sort out the mess.

Sometimes it's the best thing to do. An hour later, refreshed and with a plan in mind along with a cooled down and now working windlass, I emerged from the saloon to patiently untangle the mess an re-anchor two more times on the perimeter of the anchorage.

Sometimes, a "time out" is what's needed instead of plowing ahead and getting in deeper.

So next time when things turn to poop.... drop your anchor, time out and sort it out. 'Works for me everytime.

My efforts were rewarded at midnight. Fireworks just 100 meters off the bow. Wow!

Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2016, 15:17   #2

Boat: Catana 471
Re: Sometimes The Best Thing to do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post

So what did I do? I dumped 60ft of chain manually along with the anchor and went below for an hour to take a "time out" and have a coffee to sort out the mess.

t. 'Works for me everytime.
Ken, I can totally picture and sympathize with what you went thru today but "a coffee to sort out the mess"... Really ??

Bob
REsCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2016, 15:18   #3

Boat: Bristol 27

Looks like you have been too isolated and alone for too long.....

We in the working world deal with this sort of thing on a daily basis without the need of a time out.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2016, 15:35   #4
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Looks like you have been too isolated and alone for too long.....

We in the working world deal with this sort of thing on a daily basis without the need of a time out.
You forget, I'm also in the "working world" six months of the year at the locked psychiatric unit, were unfortunately we have very little ass scratchin' time to spend discussing things around the water cooler.

In fact, I don't think we have a water cooler.
Old 30-06-2016, 15:54   #5

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
You forget, I'm also in the "working world" six months of the year at the locked psychiatric unit, were unfortunately we have very little ass scratchin' time to spend discussing things around the water cooler.

In fact, I don't think we have a water cooler.
I reckon we all have our moments, but as long as we can chill out it's all good.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2016, 16:13   #6

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

You're right,

Sometimes the "time out" gives you the opportunity to work out a good way to solve the problem.

Sometimes, we may not like the final solution, as happened earlier this year when we fouled the chain in a submerged tree or two--the most likely possibility, but don't know for sure. We tried all our tricks to get free, nothing worked. Zero viz tannin rich brown water, too cold to dive without warmer wet suit, but too dangerous any way. Still didn't want to cut loose the chain and anchor. Slept over night, stern a few feet from the river bank. Then, next morning, a brief walk ashore, then back to more trying, eventually cut the chain to get clear: lost 70 ft. of chain, and an equivalent length of brand new 8 plait line, plus the Manson Supreme.

So, sometimes one finds oneself with a problem to which one doesn't like the solution. However, in our case, it's the only anchor we've had to cut loose in all these years, so really ought not to complain; things like this happen when one is off the beaten path.

Ann
Old 30-06-2016, 17:55   #7

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
You're right,

lost 70 ft. of chain, and an equivalent length of brand new 8 plait line, plus the Manson Supreme.
Ann
I am aghast. I took you for an all chain operation. Having some rope in there would make it easier to cut loose. Was that the anchor that has the long slot in the shank?
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2016, 18:02   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

A really good gin and tonic helps, too. I hope the rising sun brings a better day, and that that day turns out to be your worst.
tkeithlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2016, 18:55   #9

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
I am aghast. I took you for an all chain operation. Having some rope in there would make it easier to cut loose. Was that the anchor that has the long slot in the shank?
It was an all chain rode. The line was use with a small chain collar dropped around the main chain as a means of dislodging the snag. Has worked a few times in the past for us, but in this instance, it too became fouled and irretrievable. Why I didn't use junk line (which we always have) is now beyond me... seemed a good idea at the time!

Jim

And yes, the Manson has the rock slot in the shank, but we do not normally use it.
Old 30-06-2016, 19:06   #10

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Once again I have learned something.
Even the experienced folk that I admire have untenable stuff happen. Im glad to know that. Ive worried that "stuff" will be my fault. Not so it seems. Its just stuff. Might be "solved" by a good cuppa joe or cutting the line as needed.
Old 30-06-2016, 23:46   #11
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
A really good gin and tonic helps, too. I hope the rising sun brings a better day, and that that day turns out to be your worst.
Hey, everyday around here is a great day. The anchoring stuff just made the day more interesting and gave me an excuse to not do some indoor cleaning.

Today, the plan is to explore the town and fort.
Old 01-07-2016, 00:24   #12

Boat: Hunter Marine 38

Hy Ken, whar anchorage bay was that?

Envoyé de mon iPad à l'aide de Cruisers Sailing Forum
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 00:49   #13
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailormed View Post
Hy Ken, what anchorage bay was that?
Ischia Point. I'm now located at the lower spot on the chart picture just off the rocks in thick weed. No rock in' or Rollin'.

It's a beautiful location, very scenic. I'll go snorkeling later on today around those rocks.

Any other CF people in the area over the next six days?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	328.2 KB
ID:	127218  
Old 01-07-2016, 08:51   #14
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

sometimes, if one is fortunate, during that time out, the gear becomes unfouled.
i liked this part the best of doing something similar....

(then sometimes ye need a diver.....)
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 09:12   #15
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
sometimes, if one is fortunate, during that time out, the gear becomes unfouled.
i liked this part the best of doing something similar....

(then sometimes ye need a diver.....)
The same as when I work at the nutterhouse. Sometimes the mess untangles itself if you simply step back and wait a minute, instead of jumping in with the medication.

"(Then sometimes ye need [to be] a diver.....)"