Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-10-2003, 16:31   #1

Good fortune sometimes smiles !

As I have been replacing the keelbolts in Warchant, I discovered( horrors) that a few of the floors were in fairly eaten condition. Checking my dusty boat plans, I discovered that they should be made of White Oak or Mahagony of 1 3/4 " and 2" thick respectively. Checking things out on the webb, I found out that this material ain't cheap. $4.50 a board foot for Mahagony, and $7.00 a board foot for White Oak. Gritting my teeth , I figgered I'd have to pay about 25 bucks for something of White Oak, not including shipping, just for the shortest floor. Be-thinking me another thought, I hied myself off to the local woodworking tool supply store in hopes of finding something suitable. Their wood supplies did not have the needed material. Talking to the clerk when he asked me if he could help, I told him my problem. He reffered me to a local cabinet maker and said he might have what I needed inthe thickness required. So , to the cabinet shop. I went in, the maker said howdy, and then I explained what I needed, namely 2" thick White Oak with little or no knots. HMMMMMM-ed, said maybe, and went over to a wood rack and pulled out the sweetest looking chunk of White Oak you could imagine. It had one knot at the end of the board where I could cut out a floor and avoid it.It was long enough, with carefull cutting, to make ALL three of the floors I intended to make. With a quiver in my voice, I asked the price, expecting to be crestfallen at the thought of so much money. He punched out a few numbers on a pocket calculater, then announced in clear ringing tones,----" How does 15 bucks sound?". I was whipping out my checkbook before the echoes of his statement died.
Sometimes fortune smiles
29cascadefixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2003, 17:05   #2

Boat: Mariner 36 Sloop, Seidelman 24 racer
29cascadefixer.

You ole slick talker Sounds like you did hit the jack pot!
Stede is offline   Reply With Quote