Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-09-2012, 04:43   #16

Boat: others
pirate Re: Single Handed Sailing

Well all just to let you know my background:-

In 1974 joined the Merchant Navy (BP) furthest said Oz and New Zealand, left there to join the army, and after getting made redundant from Alcoa of Amercia, nearly joined the airforce as RAF regiment, but wife and common sense prevailed.

Fast forward, rejoined Alcoa made redundant again, went sailing (with permission of wife) in my little 24 footer, played with tides in Bristol Channel, rise and fall 36 feet - get it wrong and you can find yourself on some very sharp and point rocks - for two years bouncing off sandbanks, sneaking up rivers and drying out, you know the thing.

Then help on a delivery from Plymouth to Swansea, then Swansea to La Corruna four times, Bordeaux to Bodrum Turkey, then twice across the Atlantic. Once with a three man crew, once with two man crew doing watch and watch about. Lost three stone in weight because I trusted the other skipper who had been across the pond seven times. At the end of the trip we had one liter of water and six cans of mixed veg and two loaves of bread way to close. and took two months to recover.

I keep on ending up in Bodrum for some reason, Barcalona to Swansea in March was a right swine but the reason for that was two of us bought new oiles and they were coated wrong - to let water in not keep it out!

Channel Isles to Swansea lots of rocky bits but keep to the leading lights and its lovely.

So the next big adventure is single handed up through the Great Lakes. and home to Swansea, and a quick righting of anything wrong , food water and away with plenty of pain killer.

My docs on board with this and is sending me to a sport nutritionist and physio so that's it for now.

A friend of my daughters is setting up a web site and I'll be sending back photos films etc as I go.

Regards to you all, hope I don't bore you to much,
regards,
tony the boato
tonytheboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2012, 06:50   #17

Re: Single Handed Sailing

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonytheboat View Post
A friend of my daughters is setting up a web site and I'll be sending back photos films etc as I go.

Regards to you all, hope I don't bore you to much,
regards,
tony the boato
Not bored at all Tony. Looking forward to hearing more about this, and I hope when your daughters friend sets up the website you will ask him or her to post a link to it here in this thread so we can follow your adventures.
It sounds like you have plenty of experience and know what you're doing around a boat.
-Bruce

Ballenxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 02:56   #18

Boat: others
Re: single handed sailing

Hi Atoll, seeing that your down in corwall , if you get into Penzance have a look for Graceshes normaly on the port side of the entrance, see's a big wooden gaff rigged yacht, her keeper at the moment is a guy called John Nelligan, if you see him could you get him on to this site as i drowned my phone(another ONE) ask him to contact me regards tony
tonytheboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 03:15   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: single handed sailing

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonytheboat View Post
Hi Atoll, seeing that your down in corwall , if you get into Penzance have a look for Graceshes normaly on the port side of the entrance, see's a big wooden gaff rigged yacht, her keeper at the moment is a guy called John Nelligan, if you see him could you get him on to this site as i drowned my phone(another ONE) ask him to contact me regards tony
i have seen the gaffer graceshes last time i was down there,but not sure when i will be in penzance next,im up in falmouth,quite busy at the moment!
see http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1049322

but will give him a shout if im down there,no worries me hansome!
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailing, singlehanding