Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2024, 03:55   #16
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Signal for hove to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
If you turn on the steaming light, you are no longer automatically the stand on vessel when crossing a cargo ship of oil tanker. So I would most certainly not turn that light on.
Well I work on the principle that being seen and avoided is preferable to relying on a watch keepers knowledge of ColRegs.. in a collision blame is judged as 50/50.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 05:22   #17

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Re: Signal for hove to?

I like the idea of illuminating the sail, but not with a steaming light. Try to stay within the rules to the extent possible.

That said, my confidence in the watchstanders on commercial shipping keeping a good visual watch at night isn't as high as it used to be. Looking out the window is becoming a thing of the past. Today, I think an AIS transmitter would be far more effective in keeping large commercial vessels aware of your location. But keep the illumination to help out those of us who still do look up from our screens once in a while.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 05:42   #18
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
I've been surprised being at sea, looking around and seeing nothing, go below to heat some water for some coffee, then stick my head out the companionway only to see a ship passing my bow a half mile ahead of me.

It hasn't happened often, but I've also been awakened by whales in close proximity to the boat.

Singlehanding is not my thing though, so usually have crew on board.
Did the ship not show up on AIS and also not on radar?

If you only used eyeball scans then that explains it

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 05:45   #19
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Signal for hove to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
I like the idea of illuminating the sail, but not with a steaming light. Try to stay within the rules to the extent possible.

That said, my confidence in the watchstanders on commercial shipping keeping a good visual watch at night isn't as high as it used to be. Looking out the window is becoming a thing of the past. Today, I think an AIS transmitter would be far more effective in keeping large commercial vessels aware of your location. But keep the illumination to help out those of us who still do look up from our screens once in a while.
True enough but a steaming light 15ft in the air lighting up the sail is the better option than a searchlight at deck level which really messes with ones night vision.
I also accept an AIS transponder would be better although I wonder by how much when considering the amount of collisions between both commercial and military shipping..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2024, 06:48   #20

Most single handers when cat napping are on autopilot or vane steering showing lights as underway. In today's world they also set a radar/AIS surveillance/warning zone with audio alarm. Many have a radar warning device too. Heaving To is usually never done except in an emergency of some kind.
argonauta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2024, 06:56   #21

Boat: Beneteau 42cc

I’m not sure what “out onto the Atlantic” means, but it sounds dangerous. It is very common for the US Navy to be practicing in this area, so it might be in your best interest not to heave to. Also, with the Gulf Stream going north and east, you might be sleeping at 3-4 knots. If you are talking about crossing The Atlantic, keep sailing.
cdcorl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2024, 06:57   #22

Before answering, I would like to understand better what sort of electronics (radar, AIS) are configured on the boat. Also, what does "sail out into the Atlantic" mean?

When I solo (and even with crew), I have radar on with a guard zone alarm, and I have AIS Dangerous Targets turn on. I set typically set a timer alarm around 15-20 minutes on my watch/phone AND I have a "Screaming Meanie" 2nd alarm on a timer at 25 minutes just in case (I've not needed it but it is god-awful loud).

I would not consider heaving to in order to sleep unless conditions warranted it and only if I were not in or near a shipping lane. Anywhere near the Chesapeake, I would not do this.
justinfinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2024, 07:02   #23
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jay Kantola - Trimaran 65 ft by 40 ft beam

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
True enough but a steaming light 15ft in the air lighting up the sail is the better option than a searchlight at deck level which really messes with ones night vision.
I also accept an AIS transponder would be better although I wonder by how much when considering the amount of collisions between both commercial and military shipping..
Ah, you are likely referring to the US Navy and their habit of ramming slow moving shipping traffic and reefs mostly in SE Asia. In one incident several sailors were killed in their bunks. They also have a habit of traveling without AIS turned on. Once in the Malacca Straits, I had a warship approach my vessel within a few hundred meters when I had my radar on and it was completely invisible.

Therefore, defending your vessel against the US Navy is complicated when both AIS and radar alarms don't go off and they fail to exercise basic seamanship.

My defense against them was called a crew member. I preferred having two of them on watch if possible. I then slept in the cockpit to make sure they could wake me with questions. Twice the problem involved the morning star which rose on the horizon and looked like a ship to them.

The expense of looking for extra crew and feeding them etc was one of the prices I paid for needing to sleep and travel at night.

In addition to US Navy, they were also my best defense against fishing boats where the crew were all busy sorting fish or sleeping.
pbmaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2024, 07:17   #24

Boat: F32 trimaran

I have been sailing alone on Lake Huron at night.
I sail under a wind vane and wake up every 20 minutes to check things.
I use a kitchen timer.
It takes 20 minutes for a ship to hit me hihi (from reading )
in the morning I am just as fresh and made some heading in the right direction.
Not to mention that I can quickly grab the tiller in an emergency and not wait for speed to maneuver.
Hove to you are seating dock looking at that big monster coming at you.
Gianfranco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2024, 07:54   #25

Boat: Other people's boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdcorl View Post
Also, with the Gulf Stream going north and east, you might be sleeping at 3-4 knots.
That's not too bad; you can make progress (if that's what's intended) and in any case it's speed through water, not over ground, that's relevant for collision avoidance.
requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2024, 08:28   #26

Boat: Malo 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. D View Post
I plan on sailing out the Chesapeake Bay onto the Atlantic this year. Before then I plan to develop a sleep pattern to permit me to sail at night. However, if I become too exhausted I may have to heave to. If so, what signal should I show? Remain with under sail lights, or anchor light?

Yes, I know I still sails up, but the boat is barely moving. Almost like anchored.
If you are hove to you are still a sailing vessel under way. More importantly if you are single handed and sleeping you are contravening Rule 5…to maintain a look out at all times by sight and hearing as well as all available means. It is an issue all single handers face on a long passage. Some rationalize by relying on electronic aids but that still leaves us without a lookout by sight and hearing.
alop37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2024, 08:53   #27

Boat: 1999 Hunter 410

I just did a 5100nm Pacific crossing singlehanded.
Never hoved to for sleep, kept going. Use AIS alarms, slow the boat down (extra reefing), radar alarm if you have it and enough power.
Always get as much sleep when you can, you'll wake when you feel things change.
Heaving to will prolong your time at sea by a lot on long trips.
Windpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2024, 09:31   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
Is this something you intend to do inside the bay, or outside, and how far outside? Hove to, you are still underway and still have all of those obligations.
I generally measure how far away I am from land by time it would take to reach it if pointed right at it. Sailing at 6 kts, one nm away is 10 minutes. I want to be a couple hours away before I allow myself to sleep. Getting 15 miles offshore is easy to do before you get tired.
Once I am that far offshore, I just let my steering gear do it's thing. Set a radar alarm, and AIS alarm, and an alarm for how long you want between eyeball checks. I don't think heaving too is any safer. If an oil tanker is bearing down on you at 15 kts, it won't make a big difference. Heaving to only make it take 2x as long to get to your destination, which also means you will see worse weather, and be more tired when you get there.

Yep - sailing alone you need electronic warning devices. Radar, ais (in and out), and watch timer (10-15 minutes. Especially the Radar with warning zones set.
drdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2024, 10:33   #29

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

An active radar reflector might be something to look into as well:
https://www.landfallnavigation.com/c...D_BwE#132=1546
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2024, 10:34   #30
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Sir, you're a danger to yourself and others anytime you're underway with no lookout.
Winston Smith is offline   Reply With Quote