Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2018, 11:37   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Short wave radio ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riggerman View Post
What would be the range of those $100.00 radios ???
Those $100 radios are better than the receivers I worked the world with in the 1960's and '70's. I used converted WWII surplus vacuum-tube rigs and old ham gear. The newer radios are more sensitive, selective, and stable. The older radios *might* be more immune to overload, but at sea this isn't really a big issue. And sensitivity isn't all that critical anyway, at least not on the lower portions of the HF bands. Atmospheric noise generally is the limiting factor, and more sensitive radios or bigger antennas won't help you there.

Getting the antenna up and away from your boat's radio-frequency noise sources (other electric and electronic gear) can make a big difference, so the built-in whip antenna may not be as useful as a regular backstay or other antenna. That's why these cheap radios have an antenna jack.

As conachair said, the modern cheap radios will receive signals from around the world if used appropriately.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 11:51   #47

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmakhs View Post
It seems interesting and inexpensive way to get weather data , plus it doesn't have monthly costs like satellite .

Thank you for your advices I will.look for a receiver with ssb capabilities

I have the Tecsun unit cited and have used it to get weatherfax maps when offshore on boats without installed SSB radios.

You can buy a cable that goes from the audio out jack on the radio to a laptop/tablet/phone, then use software to render the maps. Works well, although the reception can be iffier than a dedicated SSB.

Example software:
https://www.blackcatsystems.com/ipad...t-sailing.html
Old 10-09-2018, 12:01   #48

Boat: Beneteau first 26

I still don't see why a ssb radaio is a necessity , I have order a tescun unit (this one was easy to find in Spain ) and I will try to use it with an external antenna .
I am more interested for weather reports in West Africa and then the coast of south America where i will have no other reception to get weather so it seems like it will work .
Now about proper ssb and AIS that you mention above , the only benefit I see on AIS is that you can see the ship name so you can call it on radio if you want something the rest are all cons for me, I feel safer if I spent the money to buy a radar .
About ssb yes it sound good and it might be but I see no reason for it except to get warnings and weather where a receiver will do the job .

Ofcourse if I had the adequate budget I would like.to try it
gmakhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 14:41   #49

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Sure. Its optional like most everything on a boat. Lots of world cruisers do without. But to me it is simply too useful to be without on an ocean passage. In an emergency it has one huge advantage over satellite... Anybody listening can hear you. Another boat a hundred miles away might be able to come to your aid. There might be others closer or better able to help. They can't hear your satphone plea for help but on HF its like a party line. And by the same token you could some day aid another boat in trouble. Any real sailor should regard it as both a duty and a privilege to do so.
Old 10-09-2018, 20:15   #50

Boat: Freedom 38

Take it from a newbie who kinda poo-poo'd the benefits of having an SSB for weather and voice comms while at sea, but I got my ham and ship licenses just in case, and took off. It turned out to be a "learn as you go" thing with me as it's just like learning a foreign language, but definitely not as hard, and now I'm so jazzed about the SSB. It's old technology, but what a cool resource it provides.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 22:08   #51

Boat: Pacific Seacraft Orion 27

What works great for us for getting WX fax charts is a Tecsun PL-880 with a TRRS cable to a Samsung Tablet 2 and HF Weather Fax Marine software. The TRRS cable connects from the PL880 output to the microphone/earphone jack on the tablet and makes for a better fax then using just the buillt in mic on tablet. Also, with the cable you can turn down the fax noise. The TRRS has a 4 segmented jack. A 3 segmented jack would be fine if connecting to a laptop.
Telescope antenna on the radio works OK, the wire it comes with run up a stay does better. Also, best reception is with with the fewest things running nearby magnetic fields (AC power lines, street lights, other radios, motors, even LEDs).
Dean
deander is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radio