Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2021, 06:25   #1

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse
Sanity Check Of My Cape Cod Canal Plan

I'm planning on going from my boatyard in Portsmouth, RI to Provincetown on Saturday (the 17th). Assuming that I'll motor most of the way, I can cruise comfortably at around 8kts. My plan was to head out around 5am, planning to get to the entrance of the Canal around noon. If I was reading my Eldridge correctly, it says that the canal current will switch to an East flow around 10am, so I figure that if I get there around noon, I should be fine. Likewise, if I recall correctly, the ebb tide should help me get out of the Narraganset and into Buzzards Bay, and then switch to a flood tide once I'm in Buzzards Bay. If I get to the canal at noon, I estimate an hour transit, and then approximately 4 hours to P-town, so I can drop the hook by 5pm.

Does all this track, or am I missing something?
Muaddib1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 14:11   #2

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.
Re: Sanity Check Of My Cape Cod Canal Plan

Buzzards Bay and Cape Cod Bay have all these beautiful spots to anchor and enjoy. Well, sounds like a good plan to me if you need to cover so much so fast.
The Canal guys might hold you up, but that’s unlikely. IF, Something really big goes out toward Buzzards Bay ... the canal level does some strange things at the Buzzards Bay end. The water goes out like a tsunami. It’s amusing from land but not from a boat. The Canal Authority will advise you and please believe them if they recommend waiting. Good guys.
You have a big boat, but if the current is running strong out toward Buzzards Bay and the afternoon wind is blowing strong up the bay, you will see standing waves that will curl your toes.
Happy trails.
The manatee crew
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 19:02   #3

Thanks Manatee! I think we'll run it like I've planned and hope for the best. If something unexpected comes up we'll call an audible.
Old 11-07-2021, 19:59   #4

Your estimates seem reasonable and your Farr 50 is not going to find this difficult. Since it will be maximum flood you'll likely take less than an hour in the canal.

Monitor VHF CH 13 while in the canal. This will also warn you if the railroad bridge is going down.

It's very helpful to have an AIS transponder so ships will know you're there.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 20:49   #5

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46

Looks ok.

https://www.nae.usace.army.mil/Porta...ide-Tables.pdf

13 and 16 if you can. The passenger train schedule looks like it’s not an issue as well.

https://capeflyer.com/reservations-t...ricing-routes/

Forecast suggests southerly breeze.
Enjoy the push through the Canal.
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 10:26   #6

Boat: Cartwright 36 Cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to SVTwilight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muaddib1116 View Post
I'm planning on going from my boatyard in Portsmouth, RI to Provincetown on Saturday (the 17th). Assuming that I'll motor most of the way, I can cruise comfortably at around 8kts. My plan was to head out around 5am, planning to get to the entrance of the Canal around noon. If I was reading my Eldridge correctly, it says that the canal current will switch to an East flow around 10am, so I figure that if I get there around noon, I should be fine. Likewise, if I recall correctly, the ebb tide should help me get out of the Narraganset and into Buzzards Bay, and then switch to a flood tide once I'm in Buzzards Bay. If I get to the canal at noon, I estimate an hour transit, and then approximately 4 hours to P-town, so I can drop the hook by 5pm.

We have done exactly that route with the same planning. Here’s hoping for a nice sw breeze for you that day!
SVTwilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 10:30   #7

Boat: Pearson 10M

Quote:

Sounds like a good trip in the making.
guyrj33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 11:31   #8

Boat: C&C Landfall 43 and O'Day 35

We just did the canal for the first time on our trip from Boston, MA to Mystic, CT in an O'Day 35 sloop. Timing the current as you have done should make it a "non-event". We were doing 10kts over ground and the boat was doing 4.5kts over water, so the current is your friend. Made it through the canal in no time flat. It is quite beautiful and peaceful. You may, as others have posted, get some chop on either side. Also, monitor 13 and 16 in case they drop the railroad bridge. It is usually up, but you will get about 15-30 minutes notice if they are dropping it; at least that is what I had heard on the radio (we we well passed it by then).

Last, on my way back from Martha's Vineyard, we had to time Woods Hole to manage the crazy currents, etc. However, it put us to the canal too early; we planned for that and anchored in Megansett Bay for a nice lunch. That put us into the canal just as the current was switching and got us up to Sandwich, MA in no time. Enjoy your trip!
The Perfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 16:19   #9

Thanks guys, this gives me some peace of mind. I'll hope for favorable winds and no unexpected events to complicate things.
Old 12-07-2021, 16:34   #10

Boat: Jeanneau SO409

Sounds like an awesome trip! Keep us posted on the outcome afterwards... I'm looking to do a very similar trip at the end of August
Cool Hand Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 16:53   #11

Thanks, this is just the first leg of my first Maine cruise. After a day in p-town, we'll leave monday morning headed for Portland. It'll be another long day, and I plan to anchor off of Peak's Island, or possibly in Simonton Cove, depending on the wind. Then it's into Casco Bay for a couple days, then maybe a stop at Boothbay, then up toward Rockland. We just have to get to Rockland by Saturday night, my friend flies home from there on Sunday (July 25th). Then it'll be just me for a couple weeks poking around Penobscot before I work my way over to Winter Harbor, where I'll leave the boat on a mooring for a week while I visit a friend's lake camp. Then back on the boat, my parents will join me, and we'll poke our way down the coast and then cross back to the canal and back to RI, getting back by August 25th.
Old 12-07-2021, 18:32   #12

Quote:
Thanks, this is just the first leg of my first Maine cruise...
That sounds great!!! I'm looking to go up from NY/NJ at the end of August. Going to sail up the East River, to the Long Island Sound... then through the canal and then up to Porland. I'd love to stay a day or two in Portland... I heard there are some nice breweries there and they're near the water, too.

Then Casco Bay and then Boothbay... and then make my way back slowly (or fast, depending on many variables).

Keep me posted!! Post photos, too!
Old 12-07-2021, 20:15   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
That sounds great!!! I'm looking to go up from NY/NJ at the end of August. Going to sail up the East River, to the Long Island Sound... then through the canal and then up to Porland. I'd love to stay a day or two in Portland... I heard there are some nice breweries there and they're near the water, too.

Then Casco Bay and then Boothbay... and then make my way back slowly (or fast, depending on many variables).

Keep me posted!! Post photos, too!
Sounds good! I'm not planning to go into Portland on this trip, at least not on the way up. We've been up there a few times by land, and don't want to spend the time while my buddy is with me, we'd rather go explore where we haven't been before. There are definitely some good breweries, Oxbow is my favorite of the ones near the waterfront. Uber is always an option if you want to go further from the waterfront. Also, check out the Holy Donut, and Eventide and Duckfat are great.
Old 12-07-2021, 21:34   #14

Quote:
Sounds good! I'm not planning to go into Portland on this trip, at least not on the way up. We've been up there a few times by land, and don't want to spend the time while my buddy is with me, we'd rather go explore where we haven't been before. There are definitely some good breweries, Oxbow is my favorite of the ones near the waterfront. Uber is always an option if you want to go further from the waterfront. Also, check out the Holy Donut, and Eventide and Duckfat are great.
Will write those down... thank you!!!
Old 13-07-2021, 06:35   #15

Boat: sabre 456 and leopard 42

Have done those trips dozens of times-good plan. Would highly recommend getting a copy of the Taft’s book “A Cruising Guide to the Maine Coast”. Great resource for anyone cruising down east.
sowwaninii is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canal, cape cod