Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2017, 10:53   #1

Boat: Sister-ship of Bernard Moitessier's Joshua
Sailing without State registration or CG documentation

This might seem like a dumb question, but I need to move a boat from Martinique to the Bahamas. I can't register her in FL, because FL needs to physically inspect the boat first. The US Coast Guard can document her, but they have a 3 month backlog.

Can I move the boat if it's not registered or documented? What would happen if I tried to enter the BVIs or Bahamas, say? Wouldn't they expect to see some sort of registration/documentation? Or suppose we were intercepted at sea by the US Coast Guard or a foreign police/military vessel?

I've always assumed that registration or documentation is required, but maybe not?

Does anyone know the actual rules and regs?

Old 01-03-2017, 11:11   #2

Boat: Vagabond 42
Re: Sailing without State registration or CG documentation

BVI will for sure require your document and registration number if you want to clear in.
So will Bahamas. If the boat is in Martinique, does it have French paperwork? There is nothing that says you can't be an American skippering a French boat.
In the Bahamas, $50 at the right port of entry might get you through but the BVIs are sticklers and play by the book.
callistov42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 11:12   #3

Boat: 97 Hunter 430 43 ft.

I can't help with an answer, but I do have another question. What about Bahamas registration?
Tkeeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 11:23   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistov42 View Post
BVI will for sure require your document and registration number if you want to clear in.
So will Bahamas. If the boat is in Martinique, does it have French paperwork? There is nothing that says you can't be an American skippering a French boat.
In the Bahamas, $50 at the right port of entry might get you through but the BVIs are sticklers and play by the book.
H'mmm. That's an interesting thought. The boat is registered by the current owners in the UK, on the Small Ships Register. Could I buy the boat, leave it registered in the UK, get my own insurance, and sail the boat to the Bahamas?

I just asked my insurance broker, and she says they don't track the registration.

However, I suspect the current owners would not want to accept the liability of my using their registration for a boat they no longer own.

I wonder if I could register the boat on the SSR, myself? Doesn't seem likely, but I will look into that.
Old 01-03-2017, 11:25   #5

I registered a boat in FL and no one inspected it. They didnt say anything about inspection...? You do need a FL address though. They just want the tax money. Is it because it's coming from outside the US? I also bought a boat in the Caribe and had the papers done in FL. But that was a document I guess....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 11:27   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I registered a boat in FL and no one inspected it. They didnt say anything about inspection...? You do need a FL address though. They just want the tax money. Is it because it's coming from outside the US? I also bought a boat in the Caribe and had the papers done in FL. But that was a document I guess....
Sorry, the inspection only applies to foreign boats. Since inspections are done by Fish and Wildlife, I assume it's to check the sanitation facilities, more than anything else.
Old 01-03-2017, 11:31   #7

You are going to have to "exit" Martinique also. You will need papers to do that right? Do you have a bill of sale? Sounds like a quite a problem.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 11:32   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
You are going to have to "exit" Martinique also. You will need papers to do that right? Do you have a bill of sale? Sounds like a quite a problem.
Only one of several, unfortunately. Yes, I would have a bill of sale (I haven't bought the boat yet), but not sure that would be enough.
Old 01-03-2017, 12:08   #9

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Can Reg. online in Delaware and get a 3 year Reg. on your mothership and dinghy.

Delaware Boat Registration Information
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Delaware_Boating_Registration.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	128.2 KB
ID:	142237  
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 14:34   #10

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

I'd get a Bill of Sale, plus a notarized letter from the previous owner giving me authority to sail the boat to Florida. Use the current SSR (hopefully not expired) to check out/in until you get to Florida (don't mention the sale), then re-register/document after you arrive in Florida.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 15:04   #11

Okay! For anyone who stumbles across this thread in the future, it turns out the Coast Guard has a very good expedite process for vessels 'in transit'. If you ask for priority (their website has a description of how to do this) you can receive the documentation in 10 days. Problem solved.

Thanks for everyone's input.
Old 01-03-2017, 15:07   #12

Jalmberg,

I don't know all the "rules", they seem to vary by state and country. But I can relate my recent experience with a new to me boat.
(mine was purchased within the US, so your situation is different)

I planned on heading to the Bahamas within 30 days of buying this cruising boat and was told by Peggy Vann, Vann Maritime Services (the best for processing USCG Docs), that by filing under "Priority" status, I could have my Documentation papers back in 7-10 days. It did cost me an extra fee for the Priority service, and the cost of a FedEx overnight shipment. Sure enough I had my new (transferred) USCG Documentation in my hands in 10 days.

I have no state registration on this cruising boat since it is not based in any state, it stays on the move & spends no more than 30 days in any one state, and will be off shore 50%. So far no one's asked me for a state registration in addition to my USCG Documentation while sailing the east coast down to FL, and checking in & out of the Bahamas and back into the US.
jrp616 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
documentation, men, registration, sail, sailing