Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-04-2013, 14:00   #31
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
Re: Sailing and Alcohol

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
I said I have seen it...............folks with open containers. Plus, it's sort of a tradition drinking and sailing. You sound like a guy that simply doesn't drink much was is great but for those of us that do and are responsible there isn't a problem.

Like having a beer after you hit the creek and are motoring in I don't see that as a problem and I'm doubting you would get a ticket for it. Or even having a few beers at anchor as long as you are in control I cannot see a normal Marine Policeman giving you a breathalyzer test.

Also, haven't you ever seen boats all rafted up together on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon. They are all usually drinking..........

Sorry I sound like a guy.

I like to drink, but I really do think someone has to be in shape to manage the boat in an emergency.

And yeah, I've been in those raft-ups, like the one that had about 70 boats when the big storm was approaching. There was a controlled, careful way to break up that raftup that everyone had agreed to, but after an afternoon of drinking and swimming, a number of people didn't follow those guidelines. I spent 20 minutes fending the next boat's davits off mine. The people on the boat to me on the other side kept their wits about them, put their anchor down and tied my boat off to theirs and we rode the (impressive) storm out together.

It was a mess, and yes, I think alcohol was a significant factor. No one got hurt but it was dangerous for the leaders to be trying to climb among boats that weren't following the instructions.

When I was a child in Fort Lauderdale it was legal to have a drink in your hand and drive as long as you weren't intoxicated. "Drunk driving" was just accepted as a reality of life at the time. I remember our neighbor across the street waving good bye to us with his open can of beer as he backed out of his driveway.

Time and views change. On my boat, someone has to be sober enough to manage the boat well. It's usually me, not because I'm such a "moderate" person but because I have enough trouble controlling my weight without adding several beers to it.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2013, 14:14   #32
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post

OK, what's that?
Check this link http://justicefordinius.home.comcast...ck_Dinius.html

I think for most people there is a difference between having a "taste" on a benign day to ease that arthritis pain and a DUI. Would I do that on the road or risk my CDL? No way. But on a sunny day, blowing 10-15, seas 1-3, a nice heel and plenty of sea room? That is why the Jack is stowed in the cooler! One taste and I can still blow legal...

Based on conversations with a law enforcement officer I know, in FLA one is eligible for a DUI on a bicycle, riding a horse or sitting at the driver seat with the key in the ignition. So you may want to stow the key before raising the party flags.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2013, 14:16   #33
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
Check this link URL[http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?id=7215012[/URL]

I think for most people there is a difference between having a "taste" on a benign day to ease that arthritis pain and a DUI. Would I do that on the road or risk my CDL? No way. But on a sunny day, blowing 10-15, seas 1-3, a nice heel and plenty of sea room? That is why the Jack is stowed in the cooler! One taste and I can still blow legal...

Based on conversations with a law enforcement officer I know, in FLA one is eligible for a DUI on a bicycle, riding a horse or sitting at the driver seat with the key in the ignition. So you may want to stow the key before raising the party flags.

That's right. I actually know someone who got a DUI on a bike.

Why was he on a bike? Because he lost his license after a DUI behind the wheel. It's pretty common here in Florida where the climate is suitable for bike riding most of the time.
Old 30-04-2013, 14:18   #34

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'

Another trick in Australia might be to get yourself on a courtesy mooring, which are often at more popular spots where you are likely to get tested, then get pissed? This way you are moored, not at anchor?

The other thing is not to attract attention. Drunken norms like peeing overboard in sight of kids is an absolute NO in my books, yet some do. Likewise, the boat full of drunks playing loud music in the middle of the day deserves a visit from the authorities? No doubt they will be leaving before sunset and someone needs to be in control. This sort of behaviour is a lot different to cracking a good bottle on dusk while soaking up the tranquility?
Old 30-04-2013, 14:27   #35

I will recount my own DUI offense.

I got plastered at the local yacht club. Tried to get a taxi back to the boat, no taxis. So went down to the carpark and crawled into the passenger seat of my car, and proceeded to sleep it off. Plod arrived about 3.oo am, tapping on the window. By trickery, they ascertained that I had the keys in my pocket, breathalysed me, and the rest is history.

I am now extremely careful with mixing alcohol and police.

Lee
banjoship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2013, 14:33   #36

Given that certain forum members would like us to sign up to a "Law" which says "One anchor good, two anchors bad", I suppose one could put down a disposable toy second anchor on string, in order to be 'technically' moored, without incurring naughty points for 'asking for trouble' if a hurried departure was called for.

I believe Rocna, for one, made promotional tiny anchors for giveaway or sale, whose theoretical function was to act as a bottle opener.

Amusingly, in Rocna's case, it has been revealed that these were counted in their books as anchors, for the purposes of complying with the licensing requirements which were imposed (with good reason and in a fair manner) by the designer, to ensure the licencees did not underperform in marketing the IP he had sold them.

Getting back to how these might come in handy: The thing to do would be not to haul up the technical anchor in order to use it as a bottle opener in order to consume more of the product for whose consumption the technical anchor was intended as a figurative fig leaf.

Or, at least, not to be CAUGHT hauling it up.... (whew!)
Andrew Troup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2013, 15:00   #37
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjoship View Post
I will recount my own DUI offense.

I got plastered at the local yacht club. Tried to get a taxi back to the boat, no taxis. So went down to the carpark and crawled into the passenger seat of my car, and proceeded to sleep it off. Plod arrived about 3.oo am, tapping on the window. By trickery, they ascertained that I had the keys in my pocket, breathalysed me, and the rest is history.

I am now extremely careful with mixing alcohol and police.

Lee

I'm sorry but that's absurd.
Old 30-04-2013, 15:05   #38

Boat: Elan 434

I like to have a quite one after a good sail and dinner. Our club still promotes happy hour but insists that all wear life jackets and have a torch when going back to our boats.
Australia is now the nanny state and its everyone else is to blame. Same with the grog, you cant drink here and there and at this time, its becoming a place against fun. I'm not saying that we don't need laws but in Aus the drinking thing is at .05 which I cant even tell if I've had that much.
So what if you hang 2 black balls within your for-triangle and claim that the vessel is not under command. Might be a rule that they cant claim you are the person responsible?
If anyone knows please let me know so I don't have to hang up my two balls.
Keep Smiling
Derek
Ocean Diamond 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2013, 15:08   #39

Boat: Devlin 48 Moon River & Marshal Catboat

Not too many people are going to agree with me but the best use for alcohol on a boat is to remove stains and I also use it to wipe down my varnished wood after sanding.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2013, 15:12   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
I'm sorry but that's absurd.

Are you saying that the law is absurd, or that I am absurd, or that I am lying?

I now have my license back, prepared to document everything I have said. What is your point?

Lee
banjoship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2013, 15:15   #41

Boat: Hans Christian 33

Quote:

I now have my license back, prepared to document everything I have said. What is your point?

Lee
I don't know about Susan, but the DUI in that case seems absurd to me.
ReMetau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2013, 15:17   #42

Boat: Hans Christian 33

I know there is risk as with everything in life, but once I am secured at anchor, I like to enjoy a drink or more and a government should not be involved in that decision. Of course, Oz is a different land with different laws.
ReMetau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2013, 15:56   #43
cruiser

Quote:

Lee

I thnk it's absurd that you were charged with anything. it seems to me that you did everything you possibly could to be responsible, and look what you got for it. If you'd driven home drunk you probably wouldn't have gotten caught, but being a responsible person i bet you never considered it.

In the PASSENGER seat, yet. I don't know about you, but I can't drive my car from the passenger seat.

I just think it's horrendous that this happened to you. I'm sorry that wasn't clear.
Old 30-04-2013, 16:05   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReMetau View Post
I don't know about Susan, but the DUI in that case seems absurd to me.
Even in the land of the free it's possible.....

Sleeping It Off: Yes, You CAN Get A DUI In Your Sleep

Quote:
But even sleeping in the back seat or keeping the keys in your pocket might not be enough to save you from conviction. It can be argued that, without much effort, you could be in physical control, and all too often this is enough to twist a DWI conviction to fit your situation.
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2013, 16:08   #45
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandHopper View Post
Even in the land of the free it's possible.....

Sleeping It Off: Yes, You CAN Get A DUI In Your Sleep

Just unbelievable. To be charged with a crime because someone imagines that you *might* have committed it? I could see insisting that you accept a ride home. If we had a "compassionate tow" policy, where if you found yourself too intoxicated to drive, you could get a ride home with your car towed for you, I wonder how many people would take advantage of it? They do that in some places around major holidays, but it's easy to have a little more to drink than you planned just celebrating someone's birthay.

I just think this is so wrong-headed. Seems to me it would encourage people to try to get home so they wouldn't get busted for something they didn't even do.

Tags
sailing