Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-05-2017, 11:00   #61

Boat: West Wight Potter 19
Re: Sailing Across Lake Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
.... I myself have done otherwise. 5 times I have purchased boats in the Toronto area and sailed them home (about 150 miles) as my very first sail on them. Most of those trips were quite uneventful, and I even brought my young children a couple of times.

No offense, but.....

You have what is called "exceptional good luck". Just because you have good luck doesn't mean that others of us are not followed around by Murphy.

The fact that everything always works out great for you is no help to those of us for whom everything does not.
zedpassway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2017, 11:18   #62

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedpassway View Post
No offense, but.....

You have what is called "exceptional good luck". Just because you have good luck doesn't mean that others of us are not followed around by Murphy.

The fact that everything always works out great for you is no help to those of us for whom everything does not.
Its kind of you to think my luck is good. I can assure you it is anything but.

Those sailing trips were successful, IMHO, because of skill, knowledge, and experience. You don't know me, so I'll forgive you for making assumptions. But I've tested myself again and again. If I was to rely on luck I would be sunk long ago. The short story of some of my sailing trips, which you may have noticed here and there on CF, leaves out the grusome details of coaxing an atomic 4 engine to start, hand steering for days because of a failed autohelm, waiting days for good weather, and my bag of goodies which I bring with me every time. These goodies include handheld VHF and GPS (with tons of spare batteries), charts, handheld compass, life jackets, safety harness, tools, sail repair kit, etc, etc, etc. I never leave the dock before checking every through hull fitting for safety. If in doubt, I bring my own anchor and rode.

The most important tool on the boat is...your brain. Being prepared doesn't mean spending a lot of dollars. It means thinking of every possible bad situation and knowing what to do to avoid getting into those situations, and then knowing what to do if you do (get into those situations).

There is no such thing as luck when it comes to sailing.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2017, 09:04   #63

Boat: FP Mahe 36

I would be happy to join you but I will not be back in Michigan before June 30. There will be a fleet of boats sailing from Chicago to Mackinac Island with solo sailors aboard starting on June 24. Keep an eye out for them. I completed two of these challenges in the past. If your departure is delayed give me call.
Catkeywest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2017, 09:55   #64

Boat: Searching

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catkeywest View Post
I would be happy to join you but I will not be back in Michigan before June 30. There will be a fleet of boats sailing from Chicago to Mackinac Island with solo sailors aboard starting on June 24. Keep an eye out for them. I completed two of these challenges in the past. If your departure is delayed give me call.
Thanks Catkeywest, I will.
Garymadhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2017, 12:59   #65

Boat: Pearson 34-II

"There is no such thing as luck when it comes to sailing." Hamburking

If you transpose "life" for "sailing," which, of course, are interchangeable, it further clarifies the absurdity of the above statement. Good "luck?" and safe sailing. Rognvald
Old 22-05-2017, 06:36   #66

Boat: Catalina 30 MKII

We did a crossing of Lake Michigan (Chicago to Benton Harbor) as the practical side of our USSailing "Basic Cruising" class and certification. Since this is new to you it might be an option.

You can just hire an instructor, do the book work, and your coast-to-coast ferry voyage turns into a learning experience - with the instructor doing the double-duty of teaching as well as being and experienced crew/captain to keep you and the rest of your crew safe. It will be fun, educational, and safe.

Check with your local sailing school to find a qualified instructor.
ValiantV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2017, 07:08   #67

Boat: Searching

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValiantV View Post
We did a crossing of Lake Michigan (Chicago to Benton Harbor) as the practical side of our USSailing "Basic Cruising" class and certification. Since this is new to you it might be an option.

You can just hire an instructor, do the book work, and your coast-to-coast ferry voyage turns into a learning experience - with the instructor doing the double-duty of teaching as well as being and experienced crew/captain to keep you and the rest of your crew safe. It will be fun, educational, and safe.

Check with your local sailing school to find a qualified instructor.
That's an idea worth pursuing. Thanks.
Garymadhatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing