Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2013, 15:04   #46

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide
Re: Sailboat Seized with Guns in Tulum, Mexico

I can certainly understand why Mexico (having such a high standard of law and order) would want to be so tough on crime....

We will all be safer when only the drug cartels are armed.
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply
Old 05-04-2013, 15:10   #47
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"Many companies make a civilian semi-only version of the AK-47. Just because it is a "real" AK does not mean it's fully auto. AK-47 is a model of gun, not a brand. "

Well, Mr. Kalishnakov, whose name is on the gun, would disagree with you. His revolutionary design was to use a tipping bolt, for a fully automatic rifle that could be built cheaply in mass quantities by literally any bicycle factory. The "AK" literally stands for AUTOMAT Kalishnakov, i.e. AUTOMATIC not semi-automatic.

A licensed AK-47 will be fully automatic. The fact that a lot of wannabees produce unlicensed "sporterized" or "civilian" versions, does not make them AK-47's. I can buy a fully automatic M16 from multiple sources, but once it loses the automatic fire option, it becomes an AR15, and the AR comes from the original maker "Armalite" not from Automatic Rifle, which it isn't.

Go back to the 1980's before all the rabid gun band started, and there was no confusion between these rifles. An semiautomatic AK-47, is not an AK-47. It is a knock-off of some kind, and it may be equally reliable and effective, but it is probably a variant of the SKS, which always was semiautomatic.

I've got a Ferrari. Well, it's a kit car and it really has a VW engine, but it LOOKS just like a Ferrari. Ah, no, that's not a Ferrari. And I'll bet it isn't licensed as one, either.

The guy looks like a...well, not your typical Yachtsman. Maybe he has a real AK, but from the web nooze...all I see is confusion, and way too many arms for a small boat making a pleasure trip from FL to CA. Where the authorities take about the same view of an AK47 as the Mexicans do. He's in deep kinchee no matter where he goes now.
hellosailor is offline   Reply
Old 05-04-2013, 15:11   #48

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v 'Faith' View Post
I can certainly understand why Mexico (having such a high standard of law and order) would want to be so tough on crime....

We will all be safer when only the drug cartels are armed.
it is the same.... An ARSENAL full of boat Or a boat full of Arsenal...

Does it really matter where we are ?

l
sycankiz is offline   Reply
Old 05-04-2013, 15:15   #49
cruiser

Just looking at the picture of the guy tells me there's much more to the story.

Point of information regarding AK-47s: The USA civilian version is semi-auto. It's not legal in the USA to own a fully automatic weapon as a civilian unless one has a special collector's license. If a collector has a fully automatic version, it would be illegal to carry it around in a boat for personal protection purposes. The same is true for AR-15 weapons.
Kenomac is offline   Reply
Old 05-04-2013, 15:29   #50

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
"Many companies make a civilian semi-only version of the AK-47. Just because it is a "real" AK does not mean it's fully auto. AK-47 is a model of gun, not a brand. "

Well, Mr. Kalishnakov, whose name is on the gun, would disagree with you. His revolutionary design was to use a tipping bolt, for a fully automatic rifle that could be built cheaply in mass quantities by literally any bicycle factory. The "AK" literally stands for AUTOMAT Kalishnakov, i.e. AUTOMATIC not semi-automatic.

A licensed AK-47 will be fully automatic. The fact that a lot of wannabees produce unlicensed "sporterized" or "civilian" versions, does not make them AK-47's. I can buy a fully automatic M16 from multiple sources, but once it loses the automatic fire option, it becomes an AR15, and the AR comes from the original maker "Armalite" not from Automatic Rifle, which it isn't.

Go back to the 1980's before all the rabid gun band started, and there was no confusion between these rifles. An semiautomatic AK-47, is not an AK-47. It is a knock-off of some kind, and it may be equally reliable and effective, but it is probably a variant of the SKS, which always was semiautomatic.

I've got a Ferrari. Well, it's a kit car and it really has a VW engine, but it LOOKS just like a Ferrari. Ah, no, that's not a Ferrari. And I'll bet it isn't licensed as one, either.

The guy looks like a...well, not your typical Yachtsman. Maybe he has a real AK, but from the web nooze...all I see is confusion, and way too many arms for a small boat making a pleasure trip from FL to CA. Where the authorities take about the same view of an AK47 as the Mexicans do. He's in deep kinchee no matter where he goes now.
Too many aBRREVEİTONS FOR ME....
sycankiz is offline   Reply
Old 05-04-2013, 16:14   #51
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Before this thread gets banned. The harder I look at this dudes picture, and I could be wrong again, the less I believe those are real tattoos.
Tellie is offline   Reply
Old 05-04-2013, 16:17   #52

Boat: 1962 Sunfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Well, Mr. Kalishnakov, whose name is on the gun, would disagree with you.
So a Chinese AK-47, which is built exactly the same and fires fully automatic would not, by your definition, be an AK-47.

There is no distinction between an auto AK-47 and a civilian AK-47 as there is between an M16 and a civilian AR-15. The only difference between the two AKs is in the fire control group. One has selective fire and the other doesn't. Just because someone invents something doesn't mean no copies are ever made.

Just because John Browning invented the 1911 .45 doesn't mean my Springfield Arms 1911 is not a 1911.
Madwand is offline   Reply
Old 05-04-2013, 16:29   #53

Boat: O'Day 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
Before this thread gets banned. The harder I look at this dudes picture, and I could be wrong again, the less I believe those are real tattoos.
Let's hope so. Prison tats would be pretty rough, tho.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply
Old 05-04-2013, 16:32   #54

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

Actually the AK47 uses a rotating bolt while the SKS45 uses the tilting bolt. The A in AK simply stands Автомат which itself is short for Автоматическая загрузка, or auto loading. The AK47 was designed as a selective fire weapon operating in either semi-auto or full auto modes depending on the tactical situation. As far as I know, there is no separate designation for an strictly semi auto AK47 and the selective fire version, unlike the AR15/M16 designations.

One more little point, civilian use and ownership of the AK47 and its ammunition is strictly banned in Mexico.
Old 05-04-2013, 16:37   #55
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
Let's hope so. Prison tats would be pretty rough, tho.

Pretty sure those are prison tats, looks like spoon ink to me. You would think Aryan Brotherhood tweeker from the "Wig" tat, but does it say "MS13" in his hairline over his right temple there? That would explain everything.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mara_Salvatrucha

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply
Old 05-04-2013, 16:59   #56

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

Hey son what did you learn on the Cruiser's Sailing Forum today?

Well Dad, I learned the difference between an AK-47 and knock off.... Oh and I learned that when I go out on the sailboat, I should remember that if I am about to ground the boat in Mexico throw all the weapons overboard

jeremiason is offline   Reply
Old 05-04-2013, 17:10   #57
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytrix View Post
I'm not a big fan of tattoos in general, but something is off when you tattoo your face. I'd like to see what she looks like.
Me Missus had facial tattoos , albeit only her eyelids.

..........and funnily enough she never needed to carry a gun, partly because she could look scary. but mostly because she was .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply
Old 05-04-2013, 17:12   #58
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiason View Post
Hey son what did you learn on the Cruiser's Sailing Forum today?

Well Dad, I learned the difference between an AK-47 and knock off.... Oh and I learned that when I go out on the sailboat, I should remember that if I am about to ground the boat in Mexico throw all the weapons overboard
If the boats on the ground , ain't it a bit late to throw anything overboard !!

Dave
Old 05-04-2013, 17:22   #59

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Let's keep the discussion to facts. Personal attacks and politics don't belong here.... some posts have disappeared, along with the responses to them.

avb3
Old 05-04-2013, 17:29   #60

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
I think you might be on to something there. The guy is actually a US government undercover agent and this boat/gun arrest is a setup to get him into prison to gather intel on mexican cartel.
The tats are too prison gang authentic, the pregnant wife classic spy work.

nimblemotors is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
Guns, Mexico, sailboat