Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2013, 10:04   #1

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason
Sailboat Seized with Guns in Tulum, Mexico

Here is the link to a local Mexican Newspaper, which reports a cruising sailboat was seized after it ran aground off Tulum, Mexico for illegal possession of weapons two days ago.

The owner, a 33 year old Michagan man and his pregenant 27 year old wife wife have been arrested and their 15 month old child placed in foster care.

The owner said he was enroute from Miami to Panama, when his boat suffered mechanical difficulties and he headed for Mexican waters, ending up on the beach.

Authorities discovered number weapons and ammunition and arrested the couple. Included in the inventory were an AK-47, several other rifles & pistols with over 600 rounds of ammunition.

Decomisan arsenal de un velero encallado en la costas de Tulum; aseguran a dos extranjeros

jeremiason is offline   Reply
Old 05-04-2013, 10:16   #2

Boat: Beneteau 393
Re: Sailboat Seized with Guns in Tulum, Mexico

Thanks for sharing.
GeoPowers is offline   Reply
Old 05-04-2013, 10:17   #3

You'd think that... If you had to ground in Mexico due to mechanical difficulties that you'd first deep six anything considered contraband in Mexico, or any country for that matter. Seems the prudent thing to do.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:17   #4

Boat: Finnsailer 38

The reef entrances there are tricky, and the reefs are not always that visible until you are right on top of them. Charts aren't good. Plus, once inside at Tulum the holding ground is non-existent. Someone was here on CF recently asking about waypoints and routes for that area--I wonder if there is any connection?
Old 05-04-2013, 10:20   #5

Part of me wants to drone on about guns and sailing but my hearts go out to those parents. What a horrible experience being in jail with your child in foster care in a foreign country while your boat is ripped apart.

Damn.
rebel heart is offline   Reply
Old 05-04-2013, 10:22   #6

Boat: PT-11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
Part of me wants to drone on about guns and sailing but my hearts go out to those parents. What a horrible experience being in jail with your child in foster care in a foreign country while your boat is ripped apart.
Agree, but that was an excessive amount of weaponry.
SVNeko is offline   Reply
Old 05-04-2013, 10:24   #7

Quote:
Something isn't right about that. Saw lots of Mexican Navy activity in that area when we were there, and we were boarded and inspected offshore. One of the first things they asked us about was weapons onboard.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:32   #8

Boat: Catalina 30
Ehhh, that sucks for them. Should have pitched it over the side or better yet left it at home. All that over a POS AK47. Guy should have realized things change at the boarder.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:35   #9

Boat: Lord Nelson 41' Cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailtexas
That seems completely ill advised. It's well known that Mexico forbids unregistered firearms.Any firearms must be registered with proper authorities before arrival, and with documentation explaining what you're planning on doing with them. Hunting is the only activity usually allowed. With that kind of weaponry it's possible they were into illicit activities. Or maybe just very naive and ill informed?

Dan
s/v Orion
Sailtexas is offline   Reply
Old 05-04-2013, 10:41   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailtexas View Post
That seems completely ill advised. It's well known that Mexico forbids unregistered firearms.Any firearms must be registered with proper authorities before arrival, and with documentation explaining what you're planning on doing with them. Hunting is the only activity usually allowed. With that kind of weaponry it's possible they were into illicit activities. Or maybe just very naive and ill informed?
This forum, and a lot of boats, are full of people who think they are exceptions to the rules. I was re-reading a Pardey book the other night and they talked about getting arrested in some country because they parked on a no-no area that they had no idea about and wasn't listed anywhere. The boat was ripped apart for hours and everything was laid out on the dock.

Nothing came of it, obviously, and they were back on the boat within a few hours.

You might get around the world with an AK47 hung from the bulkhead in plain view, and you might get around the world with a revolver tucked into a piece of cushion you slice open and remove some filling from. You also might end up getting your boat ripped apart, seized, and your child scarred for a long time.

Everyone has to make their choices. As a dad of two little girls I would feel a lot happier with some firearms on board if they were legal everywhere we went. But they're not, that's reality, and I have a better chance of having my family end up in prison than I do shooting some bad guys.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:44   #11

Eric,

Its cool. Everyone has an opinion on the wisdom of bringing weapons aboard. Its been discussed ad nauseum. So why delve into it again just because we all have strong feelings on the subject?

Putting aside the questionability of bringing firearms in the first place... The fact remains that the guy went to Mexico with guns on his boat. And the question remains, why didn't he just pitch them? Was he ignorant or did he consider himself above their law?
Old 05-04-2013, 10:53   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Target9000 View Post
Eric,

Its cool. Everyone has an opinion on the wisdom of bringing weapons aboard. Its been discussed ad nauseum. So why delve into it again just because we all have strong feelings on the subject?

Putting aside the questionability of bringing firearms in the first place... The fact remains that the guy went to Mexico with guns on his boat. And the question remains, why didn't he just pitch them? Was he ignorant or did he consider himself above their law?
There are just lots of people who think they can make it work, or they'll hide them, or whatever. And I'm sure that works for some, or many, or half, or whatever.

In the six years we've had the boat, with the last ~6 months in Mexico, we've never had a single armed official on the boat or any official onboard. So you can get lulled into a false sense of security and complacency. If I could have kept a pistol tucked under my matress, or triple ziplocked in the holding tank (I've seen it) and gotten away with it for six months, why would I have a problem with the next six months?

Most boats don't get inspected and if they do it's a haphazard look around.

I'm out of this thread; I can't imagine what that family is going through.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:01   #13

I'm sure they had a lot of things on their minds and a lot of things they were doing while pounding on the reef, and I doubt throwing their gun stash overboard was one of them.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:21   #14
Armchair Bucketeer

Whilst I do have plenty of sympathy for their current predicament - gotta say that some folks do seem to make own "bad luck".........
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply
Old 05-04-2013, 11:21   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVNeko View Post
For a country without rule of law it's not even close to enough. Just 600 rounds for an AK and everything else combined? That's a joke.

I'm not saying it was a good idea to sail into Cartelian waters with that set of gear, but if you're gonna go someplace you shouldn't, and you're gonna go there armed, come on folks. Go big or go home. One full up battle rifle and sidearm per crew member, plus a couple of shotguns and enough ammo to be able to really lay waste to a threat.

That and dump it overboard before running ashore....

Either that or take your chances and hope like heck nobody decides you look ransomable.

Better yet, stay out of Cartel land.
H Romberg is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
Guns, Mexico, sailboat