Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2021, 11:04   #46
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38
Re: Sailboat names

I like the name " Jini"...it speaks to me.....it's simple, unique, has charm, easy to spell, perfect !!!, look no more, you've found a good one !!!
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 11:06   #47

Boat: Morgan 44 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
that's funny....my efforts to pronounce it would be equally hilarious.......I've always known "Port Elizabeth" to be known as "PE"...Pee-Eee...that's how the locals say it......who dreams this stuff up ??? Seriously ??
When the ANC was handed power, the fact that they would change place names away from apartheid-linked people was a given but they originally expressed the intention to not name places/things after people. Look how that turned out. They now name stuff for people who actually have zero connection to their country or their erstwhile cause, just sounding ”cool” seems good enough.

The first business thought I had when the SA government changed was to buy shares in the company that published the maps - they have a never-ending business. Unfortunately they were wise enough to keep it for themselves and were never listed. Early on folks were continually getting lost because all the names on the maps were gone and substituted for things like Gqeberha.

Oops, sorry for the thread hijack.
CassidyNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 11:27   #48

Boat: Catalina 30

To anyone making light of the name, “Gqeberha,” might I suggest that “Philidelphia,” “San Francisco,” and “London” probably all sound like funny names to a native speaker of Xhosa.
DanielI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 11:32   #49
Marine Service Provider

yes, but there is not one black cultural group or nation in South Africa....there are many....Zulu....Xhosa....etc..etc...and they don't always get along...I think this is becoming a bit of a turf war....PE was known as " iBhayi" by the Xhosa nation that lived in that area...no idea where the Gqeberha name came from....the PE airport is now known as the "Chief Dawid Stuurman" airport...most of this name changing is taking place in the eastern Cape, time will tell...

ok....thread hijack over...Jini it is !!
Old 05-03-2021, 11:38   #50
Marine Service Provider

sorry....can't help myself....the name " Worcestershire" as in the sauce....is spoken as " wooster" in England...please pass the woostersauce......thank you..
I spend some time in England, and could not come to grips with " wooster".....

ok, sorry....when is the " Jini" christening party...
Old 05-03-2021, 11:49   #51

Boat: UFO27 Holman & Pye 8.2m

I remember seeing a yacht called "Betty's Mink"
John
johnn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 12:09   #52

Boat: Morgan 44 CC

Then you get the objectionable names (at least I think they are).

One that races in Opua is called “For Fox Sake”. Another at my club is called “Cut The Crap”. Maybe it’s thought to be clever but I wonder how clubs even allow names like that.
CassidyNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 12:14   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joh.Ghurt View Post
The name is nice, it passes the Coast Guard test and it isn't a stupid name with a corny pun. The latter brings severe bad luck to you and everyone abiding your actions.

There are rumours that boats with puns as their name attract jet-ski-hooligans in anchorages, debris in seawater-pumps and cockroaches. And who would like to take that risk?

So, if I got it right: Nautilus is a good name and Jini brings severe bad luck, because it also stands for some magical creature, spirit, correct?
And what "Coast Guard test" is like?
dokondr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 12:16   #54

Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassidyNZ View Post
Then you get the objectionable names (at least I think they are).

One that races in Opua is called “For Fox Sake”. Another at my club is called “Cut The Crap”. Maybe it’s thought to be clever but I wonder how clubs even allow names like that.
Yah, there's a boat in Boston Harbor called "Statutory Gripe." That's just bad in so many ways.

there is, by the way, a bad pun that sticks with the original poster's name and contains an optimistic message about the folks aboard:

Not Ill Us
We ran aground at 2300. Dad fired off flares all night, to no avail. In the morning, Mom called the Coast Guard and demanded to know why they had not responded. "But ma'm," came the abashed reply. "Yesterday was July 4th!"
DMF Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 12:51   #55

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch

Just as nature abhors a vacuum, Poseidon abhors the pun.

We wanted to reneme our ketch Dragonfly, (it was serenity ) but it's a pretty ugly sounding name in most languages, so we ended up with the Hawaiian name Pinao
Unfortunately, most people think it's piano.
Bill Seal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 14:04   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by dokondr View Post
So, if I got it right: Nautilus is a good name and Jini brings severe bad luck, because it also stands for some magical creature, spirit, correct?
And what "Coast Guard test" is like?

No you misread that. Jini and Nautilus are both ok.

The coast-guard test is how easy it is to spell the name when you need to call the coast guard and how easily it ill be misunderstood.
Joh.Ghurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 14:06   #57
Marine Service Provider

stick with "Jini" it is awesome with capital A !!!

If I saw a boat pull into an anchorage with that name on the stern, I'd think, that is a cool name, I'd want to row over and meet the captain, it's that kind of name....it speaks to you...can't explain more than that...
Old 05-03-2021, 16:01   #58

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
sorry....can't help myself....the name " Worcestershire" as in the sauce....is spoken as " wooster" in England...please pass the woostersauce......thank you..
I spend some time in England, and could not come to grips with " wooster".....
There's a Worcester in Massachusetts - I always wondered how they pronounce it down there in the good ole US of A, as they always seem to have unique ways to pronounce a lot of seemingly-English words/names.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 16:09   #59

Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)

Quote:
stick with "Jini" it is awesome with capital A !!!

If I saw a boat pull into an anchorage with that name on the stern, I'd think, that is a cool name, I'd want to row over and meet the captain, it's that kind of name....it speaks to you...can't explain more than that...
I like Jini, too. If you're into this sort of thing, Jini offers the possibility of cool illustration to go along with the name.

One of the best names I've seen on a boat was Le Petit Prince, which also had a very good rendition of the little guy on the hull.

Unfortunately, it was otherwise one of the most beat-up vessels I have seen
We ran aground at 2300. Dad fired off flares all night, to no avail. In the morning, Mom called the Coast Guard and demanded to know why they had not responded. "But ma'm," came the abashed reply. "Yesterday was July 4th!"
DMF Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 18:03   #60
Marine Service Provider

Most boat names are a personification of the owner.

Looking at a boat name kinda gives one an inside track to how the owner is likely to be in real life. I have found this to be true in most cases.

It's rare that a new owner of a used boat keeps the original name, as that name is likely to have little significance to the new owner.

I'm somewhat confused as to why boats have "names" in the first place. For the most part it is an inanimate object, but the "name" serves to identify that it is a different from the same make of a similar boat. Maybe there is more to it, but nautical lore is rife with mysteries that escape me.

Having said all that, I maintain that "Jini" is an awesome name. I cannot point to any particular reason why I think so, but it is. Knowing a little about the OP and his dog, makes it all the more poignant. There is simply no comparison with the name " Jini" vs. Nautilus. Hands down, it would be "Jini" !!

I recognize that this decision is beyond my ability to actually chose, but I lend my weight to " Jini"

I cannot enthuse about this name anymore than I already have. It's perfect by any means of elaboration !!

Tags
boat, boat names, sail, sailboat