Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-12-2014, 06:57   #1291

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!
Re: Rudder Failures

Cracks dont show up for free, the lower part of the keel looks intact, then my 2 cents this boat is dropped from a travelift or crane, but is just a assumption.
If you dont back up the picture with more info how the frokk we can make a solid opinión, if i take a hurricane damaged boat, post the picture in a website , and dont mention nothing about a hurricane people start to make assumptions.

The Jeaneau with the grid system wrecked its clear a grounding damaged boat, the moody who know?
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2014, 09:15   #1292

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Yeah - whatever it was it was bad. The keel looks to be split down the leading edge - and the interior structure is trashed as well:

I hope all the guys that talked about running aground in their "blue water boats" without damage take a close look. It ain't just Beneteaus and Jeanneaus that sustain damage in hits like that.
Yeah... it's really hard to say what that keel issue is. The "split" you talk about could just as likely be a water stripe running down... in fact I would guess that's exactly what it is. Also, does anyone else see a horizontal stripe running back from the damage on the keel? Maybe that is a bolt on keel attached to a stub?

The interior crack smacks of a hot layup shrinkage crack, but could be either. that's a very messy layup, what's that "patch" layup in the area of the bilge crack? Looks like a steel post to the left rusting also. What kind of junk boat is that?

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2014, 09:46   #1293
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Yeah... it's really hard to say what that keel issue is. The "split" you talk about could just as likely be a water stripe running down... in fact I would guess that's exactly what it is.
Yeah - now that I can zoom into it, it looks like you're exactly right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
What kind of junk boat is that?
Heh-heh. It's a Moody.
smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2014, 12:38   #1294
cruiser

I reached out to the yard that worked on that Moody to find out what caused it. They very graciously and quickly responded as follows:

Quote:
Not sure what caused the fracture, no sign on the keel of a heavy grounding, but then cast iron is pretty hard. it can e difficult to say what has caused damage if it was not witnessed or clearly described. This was just noticed from my recollection...
That makes it even more concerning in my book. Moody owners might want to have a look.
smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2014, 13:27   #1295

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Dropped from a Travelift, i bet you a cold beer!!!
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rudder